Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds front office directory

Re: Reds front office directory

What this clown ownership and front office doesn't understand is they have to spend money to make money. The Reds fan base would absolutely show up if they were competitive. They're TV ratings are phenomenal for a small market. The base is there. Spend money, watch them come.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

2. Likes:

MR X (11-10-2021),REDREAD (11-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    What this clown ownership and front office doesn't understand is they have to spend money to make money. The Reds fan base would absolutely show up if they were competitive. They're TV ratings are phenomenal for a small market. The base is there. Spend money, watch them come.
    You would think that would be the case but history has shown that isn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It's all short term thinking. Their TV ratings are incredible for their market, but are going to erode.
    You can't tell the fans "we are going to tank for 5 years and then be competitive" and then half heartedly build a 500ish team for 2 years and then tear it down again.
    I am actually debating whether to downgrade my cable package. The only reason I have the "medium" package is for the Reds. I've lost interest in all other sports (for various reasons).
    If I keep my cable package, I will definitely watch fewer games next year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Disagree, the Reds drew very well during the Walt era, especially considering how awful they were before the Walt era. They won back a lot of fans.
    IF they somehow found a way to be respectable instead of tanking (like Milwaukee tries to win every year), they would have kept a lot of those ticket buyers, and perhaps even grew their fanbase even more.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The early 90s, the Reds spent a bunch of money at the major league level and drew very, very well-- typically among the top four to six teams in the National League.

The strike really hurt interest, but fans largely came back in the early 2010s, as the Reds were good again at the major league level. They drew nearly 2.5 million attendees for four years and finished around the middle of the NL pack.

Then they had a fire sale and watched attendance plummet. When they rebuild, they don't get the walk-up crowd. Over the past decade, that walk-up crowd has measured somewhere around 700,000 - 750,000 people over the course of a season.

What kills me is the lack of humanity.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I've known Reds fans in their 70s/80s who have died in recent years, and what enjoyment did they get from following this team since 1991? A few good moments that add up to some very thin gruel. So many years gone by where there was no real effort to compete, all so a bunch of extremely wealthy people could get slightly more extremely wealthy.

Bob Castellini and the rest are just garbage, garbage people. They shouldn't feel comfortable living in the Cincinnati area after treating fans like this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-16-2021)

"So Fla Red"

For the umpteenth time...

Castellini has had the Reds between #12-20 in MLB Payroll for 12 of the past 15 years. The Reds spend like drunken sailors compared to their bottom 25% market size status.

Payroll has not been the issue. Lack of planning, development and payflex (due to several poor LTC contracts) are the issue. In addition to the inequities of MLB structure and lack of a salary cap.

11. Likes:

757690 (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

Castellini has had the Reds between #12-20 in MLB Payroll for 12 of the past 15 years. The Reds spend like drunken sailors compared to their bottom 25% market size status.

Payroll has not been the issue. Lack of planning, development and payflex (due to several poor LTC contracts) are the issue. In addition to the inequities of MLB structure and lack of a salary cap.
    1. It's a combination of refusing to spend in times that are obvious "push in your chips" moments, refusing to let baseball people make decisions unimpeded, and continual rebuilds.

2. The Reds have had Joey Votto on the roster the entire time Castellini has been owner. They should have gone up into the top 10 of payroll at some point during his career, it's malpractice not to have gone for it in that sense more than once.

3. Lately, only about 15 teams a year are actually competing. Having a payroll in the bottom half is even more of an indictment than usual when half the league is tanking.

It's pretty telling when the defense is, hey look, Castellini got them up to 12th in spending at some point, so what can you do?

13. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

Another straw man argument. “Other teams are cheaper than the Reds, therefore the Reds are just fine”.

Also, it loses sight of this team in its current state: close enough to contention, with loads of money coming off the books in two years. They should be finding ways to maintain payroll as it will naturally be depressurized in 2023.

15. Likes:

Kinsm (11-16-2021),Wonderful Monds (11-16-2021)

lol poor Bob with his #12-#20 payroll, in the poor house

https://twitter.com/BusinessCourier/...12552232550406

Castellini sells Arizona resort for $85M

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    lol poor Bob with his #12-#20 payroll, in the poor house

https://twitter.com/BusinessCourier/...12552232550406

Castellini sells Arizona resort for $85M
    Castellini doesn’t own the Reds by himself. I think if he did, we would see a constant higher payroll for the Reds.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Castellini doesn’t own the Reds by himself. I think if he did, we would see a constant higher payroll for the Reds.
    Give me a break. They're all doing just fine

Name:  194607.png
Views: 180
Size:  58.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Give me a break. They're all doing just fine

Name:  194607.png
Views: 180
Size:  58.9 KB
    Of course they are all doing fine. But not all baseball team owners own the team in order to win championships. I would guess that most own them for the sole reason of making money.

I think Castellini bought the team in order to win championships, but he might be the only one of the ownership group with that view. I would bet heavily that he is the only one of the three controlling owners with that view.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think if he did, we would see a constant higher payroll for the Reds.
    literally no evidence for this in any way vs. a mountain of evidence to the contrary that he's a screw-up

And yes, please assume I'm talking about all the controlling owners when I say Castellini, I couldn't possibly be bothered to figure out which of the owners is the REAL problem or whatever, who cares

22. Likes:

Mitri (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    literally no evidence for this in any way vs. a mountain of evidence to the contrary that he's a screw-up

And yes, please assume I'm talking about all the controlling owners when I say Castellini, I couldn't possibly be bothered to figure out which of the owners is the REAL problem or whatever, who cares
    There is plenty of evidence. Castellini has been mocked for some of that evidence. “The losing stops now!” So many quotes about how much he wants to win, how committed he is to winning.

Oh yeah, there also are the periods where Castellini put his money where his mouth is and spent to get a winning team. It hasn’t always worked out, but he has spent the money needed to win, more than once. I would say that main problem the Reds have had is that Castellini went overboard with the spending around 2012, and the team has been paying the price for that since then.

You may not care which owners are the real problem, but it’s extremely relevant. It likely is the major problem, the reason for the schizophrenic behavior of the team, that fact that not all the owners are on the same page all the time. You ignoring it doesn’t make the problem go away.

24. Likes:

oregonred (11-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?