Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Arizona Fall League

2021 Arizona Fall League

The seven players the #Reds are sending to the Arizona Fall League: RHP Michael Byrne, RHP Eddy Demurias, RHP James Marinan, LHP Jacques Pucheu, INF Ivan Johnson, OF Drew Mount and OF Michael Siani.

https://twitter.com/nightengalejr/st...714519044?s=12
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

BillDoran (10-06-2021),Bourgeois Zee (10-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 Arizona Fall League

Having been raised on Bugs Bunny, I am referring to the Reds' southpaw from Austin Peay as Blacque Jacques Pucheu.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-20-2021),texasdave (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The seven players the #Reds are sending to the Arizona Fall League: RHP Michael Byrne, RHP Eddy Demurias, RHP James Marinan, LHP Jacques Pucheu, INF Ivan Johnson, OF Drew Mount and OF Michael Siani.

https://twitter.com/nightengalejr/st...714519044?s=12
    First thoughts:

- The Reds are either really high on Ivan Johnson and Drew Mounts, or they want to be. Both could end up in AAA with good Fall League performance.

- This is probably an attempt to separate Torres, McLain, and Johnson.

- Marinan played really well the last month. It's interesting to see that they want to extend that.

- Pucheu has some really fun numbers as a spot starting relief southpaw. I wonder if they see him as a SP or reliever moving forward. Demurias is in the same boat, IMO. Both guys have really interesting numbers and could be relief arm depth as early as 2022.

- This is put-up or shut-up time for Byrne. And Siani needs to produce as well.

Surprise is off to a .500 record at 2 - 2 in the young season.

The stars for the Saguaros so far are SS/2B Ivan Johnson and SP James Marinan. Johnson has 2 HR (which leads the league) and a .300/ .364/ .900/ 1.264 line across three games and 10 ABs. Marinan has had one start, but it was a gem. He continued his late-season dominance with 4 innings of one-hit shutout ball against one walk and two Ks. In fact, nary a Red prospect has allowed a run so far this young season. Marinan and Byrne have gone multiple innings, while Demurias and Pucheu have just pitched one.

Siani and Mount have played a bit, but neither has done much so far. (Though the season has just gotten underway.)

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-17-2021),M2 (10-18-2021),Tom Servo (10-17-2021)

Marinan is becoming super-intriguing. Always liked his profile. It'd be great if we robbed the Dodgers for once rather than vice-versa.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (10-18-2021),M2 (10-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Siani and Mount have played a bit, but neither has done much so far. (Though the season has just gotten underway.)
    I'm inclined to start calling Michael Siani "Fetch," because he's never going to happen.

12. Likes:

757690 (10-19-2021),BillDoran (10-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm inclined to start calling Michael Siani "Fetch," because he's never going to happen.
    Credit to the scouts on this one. The book on Siani coming out of the draft was he does everything but hit the baseball. Prophesy fulfilled.

I'm sorry, but shouldn't hitting a baseball be priority #1?..I could care less if he is as fast as BHam, and had a cannon for an arm. If ya can't get on base, everything else is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I'm sorry, but shouldn't hitting a baseball be priority #1?..I could care less if he is as fast as BHam, and had a cannon for an arm. If ya can't get on base, everything else is useless.
    There's a mix. Some guys do figure out hitting (e.g. Aaron Judge). And some kids with only a hit tool smash into a ceiling on their hitting and then they've got nothing left to offer. (e.g. Keston Hiura with the Brewers). I'm not angry the Reds drafted Siani, but he's been nothing but awful at the plate.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-19-2021),Tom Servo (10-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    The Reds drafted Siani in the 4th round. That’s exactly where you draft a player like him. If he learned how to hit even .250/.330/.400 he would be an everyday MLB starter. He clearly cannot hit, though. The reds gave him $2 million. Pricey for his draft position. I’m glad they took the risk on him. Definitely a bust, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

757690 (10-20-2021),mth123 (10-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Reds drafted Siani in the 4th round. That’s exactly where you draft a player like him. If he learned how to hit even .250/.330/.400 he would be an everyday MLB starter. He clearly cannot hit, though. The reds gave him $2 million. Pricey for his draft position. I’m glad they took the risk on him. Definitely a bust, though.
    I agree with your post up until calling him a bust. It's too soon. He didn't start in CF early in the season leading me to believe there were some health issues. Over his last 30 games he OPS'd 793 and stole 12 bases in 15 attempts. If he is the defensive whiz they say he is, I still have hope. Reds must also think so or he wouldn't be in the AFL.

20. Likes:

HokieRed (10-25-2021),Revering4Blue (10-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I agree with your post up until calling him a bust. It's too soon. He didn't start in CF early in the season leading me to believe there were some health issues. Over his last 30 games he OPS'd 793 and stole 12 bases in 15 attempts. If he is the defensive whiz they say he is, I still have hope. Reds must also think so or he wouldn't be in the AFL.
    They'll keep giving him shots because his defense/speed is plus and the Reds have him for three more years, but I don't expect it to amount to much.

Couple games since our last comments. Siani got his first hit and a couple of BBs. His OBP is pretty solid, considering he's had one hit.

Drew Mount is proving more pumpkin than prospect, however,

Ivan Johnson got another hit in five PAs. His OPS is over 1.000 still.

All Reds' players got better yesterday. The Surprise Saguaros won, 10-6.

Ivan Johnson hit his 3rd home run of the fall. He's in 3rd place with those three HR, fwiw. His 5 RBI are tied for 5th. His 1.095 OPS ranks 13th.

Michael Siani had a hit. He's raised his OPS to 524. He also stole three bases yesterday. His five are tied for the league lead.

Drew Mount had three hits, 2 runs scored, and a SB. That's solid production. It raised his overall BA to .200. He's only played in five games.

James Marinan threw in relief of Asa Lacey and gave up nothing. 3 IP, 6 K, and goose eggs across the board for the opposing hitters. Dominant so far this fall, it looks like Marinan has turned a corner. His ERA, WHiP, and BAA would all rank at the top of the league, were he to have enough innings/ starts.

Eddy Demurias righted his ship a bit as well, tossing 0.2 innings without allowing anything. His ERA is now down to 7.71 in a paltry 2.1 IP. So far, Reds' pitchers have given up 2 ER in 16 innings. That's flat getting it done, right there.

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-25-2021),RED VAN HOT (10-24-2021)

Michael Siani was the only Red prospect to play tonight in the Arizona Fall League. He apparently heard RTG call him a bust and got mad. One 4 -5 night later, his BA is up to .269. He also had his 6th SB and his first caught stealing. Siani's OBP is .406.

Turn Off Ads?