Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Arizona Fall League

Re: 2021 Arizona Fall League

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Right. Surprised you're angry about it. We all get stuff wrong, but you do have a tendency to proclaim Red prospects as busts or one-hit wonders or whatever with scant information.
    And there you go gaslighting. You’re so predictable.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And there you go gaslighting. You’re so predictable.
    It's not gaslighting, man. You wrote the stuff. You were wrong.

It happens.

I can't help that it seems to make you angry when confronted with it, but I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it either.

It's not gaslighting, man. You wrote the stuff. You were wrong.

It happens.

I can't help that it seems to make you angry when confronted with it, but I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it either.
    It’s gaslighting to constantly say other posters are angry. You do it all the time. It’s your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s gaslighting to constantly say other posters are angry. You do it all the time. It’s your thing.
    I clearly hit a nerve when I dared question your comments.

It's all over your passive aggressive posts afterward.

I clearly hit a nerve when I dared question your comments.

It's all over your passive aggressive posts afterward.
    And keeps doing it

Get a room.

8. Likes:

corkedbat (11-05-2021),Old school 1983 (11-05-2021),RedsfaninMT (11-01-2021)

Apparently, Michael Siani was actually injured about a week ago when he was yanked after his only AB in the game. He hasn't played since.

Oddly, Ivan Johnson and Drew Mounts have largely been absent as well. Johnson has struggled since his hot start, but he's still OPSing 890.

Marinan got beaten around in his last outing. His ERA ballooned to 3.72 afterward, but his peripherals still look tasty. Pucheu and Byrne are still unscored upon. Demurias has dropped his ERA all the way to 3.86 after a tough early outing. Just some really nice numbers all around for Reds' pitchers

What level of baseball is the Arizona Fall League comparable too?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    What level of baseball is the Arizona Fall League comparable too?
    I've been trying to determine that myself. I had thought that it was AA. This year, however, there are a lot of high scoring games leading me to believe that the best pitching prospects are being held back (likely because of the limited 2020 season). My guess is that it is between AA and A+.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I've been trying to determine that myself. I had thought that it was AA. This year, however, there are a lot of high scoring games leading me to believe that the best pitching prospects are being held back (likely because of the limited 2020 season). My guess is that it is between AA and A+.
    There are a ton of pitching prospects in the league, some of whom are pitching lights out. Others not so much. Small samples and weather conditions color what's happened, I suspect, just as much as talent and who's been sent. (I do agree that most of the numbers should be largely ignored so far, but that doesn't mean they're not illuminating. Comparing them to others gives an idea of how they're doing far more than the strict numbers themselves, I think.)

For example, while Surprise lost today, Ivan Johnson played 2B, hit his fourth HR, walked once, and K'ed once. He also committed his third error. (That's... a bunch.) That fourth HR ranks 5th in the league. So far, Siani's tied for 8th in runs (despite only 33 ABs, about two-thirds of the other guys in the top 10), Johnson's K'ed the 6th most in the league, Siani leads in SB with 10 (by three), Siani's 12th in OBP, and Johnson's 14th in SLG. Both guys, basically, have been more than solid contributors for the best team in the league.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 11-01-2021 at 08:27 PM.

It's the end of the week (nearly): Time for an AFL update:

- Ivan Johnson's played a couple games at DH. That might keep him out of the record books for a rather ignominous feat. He's looking like a Little Leaguer in the field. Not really-- that's hyperbole. But he's been really, really bad. SS, 2B, 3B-- it doesn't matter. He's been bad at all of them. Might it be time to move him to CF? Because the thing is, his bat has shown some real thunder. After an 0-fer to drop his BA to .220 and OPS to just over 900, Johnson took a day off and stormed back with a 3 for 4 with a BB and his 5th HR of the fall season. That HR ties him for 3rd in the league with Jeter Downs, one behind league leaders. His overall line in the AFL is .267/.382/.667/1.048. That'll play just about anywhere and at just about any position.

- Drew Mount also got a rare start yesterday. He hasn't been used in a couple of weeks, but he didn't show any rust with the time off. He went 3 for 5 with a 2B. That brought his fall league line up to .280/ .357/ .360/ .717.

- So with both Mount and Johnson playing well, we still haven't seen Michael Siani. I'm wondering if he's done for the season.

- James Marinan struggled for his second straight start this week, giving up 4 ER in 3.2 IP. That ballooned his ERA all the way to 5.40. Oof.

14. Likes:

M2 (11-08-2021),RED VAN HOT (11-06-2021)

Looks like Johnson and Mount are now playing every other day.

Ivan the Terrible (Defender) hit his 6th HR while in Arizona. That's tied for 2nd in the AFL behind Nelson Velazquez. His OPS ties for 8th.

Drew Mount went 1-2 with a BB and has raised his BA to .296 and his OPS to 758.

Still no news about Michael Siani.

Ivan Johnson hasn't played since he blasted his 6th HR and was named an AFL All-Star, but Drew Mount played yesterday and did his best Johnson impression. He went 3-5 with a 2B and a couple singles to raise his AFL seasonal line to a tidy .333/ .400/ .444/ .844. Still only 40 PAs, so it's a tiny sample, but good to see regardless. Fwiw, that .333 BA would rank 6th in the league had he enough plate attempts, while the OPS would rank somewhere in the top 20.

All three Red offensive prospects have shown out in Arizona.

17. Likes:

DocRed (11-12-2021)

Ivan Johnson hasn't played since he blasted his 6th HR and was named an AFL All-Star, but Drew Mount played yesterday and did his best Johnson impression. He went 3-5 with a 2B and a couple singles to raise his AFL seasonal line to a tidy .333/ .400/ .444/ .844. Still only 40 PAs, so it's a tiny sample, but good to see regardless. Fwiw, that .333 BA would rank 6th in the league had he enough plate attempts, while the OPS would rank somewhere in the top 20.

All three Red offensive prospects have shown out in Arizona.
    Really excited by his play this year including the AZL. He's really pushing to crack the top 10 list for Reds prospects IMO. I don't know how good his D is at SS but's encouraging I guess that he is still playing the position for the most part. His 17 errors in 93 games is slightly alarming though.
    Last edited by DocRed; 11-12-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Really excited by his play this year including the AZL. He's really pushing to crack the top 10 list for Reds prospects IMO. I don't know how good his D is at SS but's encouraging I guess that he is still playing the position for the most part. His 17 errors in 93 games is slightly alarming though.
    I think Johnson's the type of bat who might be good enough to learn CF. (I know little of his speed beyond scouting reports.) Even if he's slightly deficient there, I'd love for the Reds to have a true six-position backup with above average game power and a decent idea at the plate.

Turn Off Ads?