Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Game "Win or Go Home" Wilcard Game... Your Thoughts?

One Game "Win or Go Home" Wilcard Game... Your Thoughts?

get rid of divisions, playoffs based on top five records in each league, eliminates all the fussing. Three game set between 4-5, winner get in LCS vs 1, 2 v. 3 in 5 game series, winners play 7 for trip to series
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One Game "Win or Go Home" Wilcard Game... Your Thoughts?

It’s kinda harsh, but if you want to make the playoffs, win your division. If your division competitor wins 107 games, then win 108 games. Simple as that. Otherwise, you’re in a cage match.

At least this way, you have a play-in game if you qualify for a wild card slot. You could be like the 1993 Giants and go 103-59 but lose out to the 104-58 Braves and be out of the playoffs completely. That would truly suck.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-07-2021),goreds2 (10-09-2021),mth123 (10-07-2021),Revering4Blue (10-07-2021),UKFlounder (10-07-2021)

I believe it should be two out of three for the wild card game. A one game playoff in a 162 game season does make any sense.

I hate it. But I also understand the conundrum related to the playoff schedule and cold weather. I’d still find a way to make it 2 out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    get rid of divisions, playoffs based on top five records in each league, eliminates all the fussing. Three game set between 4-5, winner get in LCS vs 1, 2 v. 3 in 5 game series, winners play 7 for trip to series
    I'd like to see divisions go away too, but I'm not sure the balanced schedule is realized for logistics/travel reasons. You could address that by reducing the schedule or realigning the leagues, but I doubt either of those happens.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8. Likes:

traderumor (10-08-2021)

They are discussing the Giants/Dodgers meeting for the first time technically in the playoffs. But they played in 1951 and 1962 to break the tie for the NL pennant.

They were considered regular season games, but what format did they play? Best 2 of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    They are discussing the Giants/Dodgers meeting for the first time technically in the playoffs. But they played in 1951 and 1962 to break the tie for the NL pennant.

They were considered regular season games, but what format did they play? Best 2 of 3.
    They were predated by the 1948 tie-breaker game between the Red Sox and Indians, and the counted as a regular season game in baseball statistics, as were the NL series.

There also was one in 1959 with the Dodgers beating the Braves two straight.

The choices in the games though were league sanctioned, and then the leagues were different animals

11. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (10-08-2021)

Of course everyone forgets the 1889 "World Series" between the Giants and the Brooklyn Bridegrooms of the American Association which the Giants won 6 games to 3. The next season, Brooklyn, along with the Reds, joined the National League where they have been ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

westofyou (10-08-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

This is another argument for geographic realignment. Right now, you can't guarantee that the Rays and Mariners won't meet for a wild card playoff. Three games with travel would be insane. But if the Rays and White Sox met, that wouldn't be nearly as tough on the teams.

That said, what about a 2-day, 3-game affair, where the second day is a day-night double header at the higher ranked team's park?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's the price wild card teams pay for not winning their division. With divisional play and unbalanced schedules I have no problem with it.

Plus the wild card gives us more baseball. I like more baseball
    I agree but maybe the home field advantage is mightily strong. Why not play on a neutral field? Also best two of three is another idea. I think of the divisions that were only one game away having to play on the team's home field for a shot of the real thing. Makes no sense to me. Why did LA with so many wins have to play a team that had a horrible season prior to the last weeks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's the price wild card teams pay for not winning their division. With divisional play and unbalanced schedules I have no problem with it.

Plus the wild card gives us more baseball. I like more baseball
    I agree but maybe the home field advantage is mightily strong. Why not play on a neutral field? Also best two of three is another idea. I think of the divisions that were only one game away having to play on the team's home field for a shot of the real thing. Makes no sense to me. Why did LA with so many wins have to play a team that had a horrible season prior to the last weeks?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is another argument for geographic realignment. Right now, you can't guarantee that the Rays and Mariners won't meet for a wild card playoff. Three games with travel would be insane. But if the Rays and White Sox met, that wouldn't be nearly as tough on the teams.

That said, what about a 2-day, 3-game affair, where the second day is a day-night double header at the higher ranked team's park?
    When I offhand mentioned my support for "radical realignment" earlier in this thread, geographic realignment is pretty much what I meant. From there, changes to playoff format can take myriad shapes.

Basically, I'm for 2 leagues, with 2 divisions each (7 or 8 teams, with room for 2 more teams via expansion at some point to make them all 8-team divisions). A dedicated Pacific Timezone division pops into existence and solves a lot of problems related to travel/TV gametimes/logistics/etc. Splitting up the rest (all Eastern and Central timezones, plus Rockies) can be done with much more of an eye towards maintaining key historic rivalries (NYY/BOS/TOR/BAL all together, CIN/CHC/STL all together). Schedules won't be balanced, but they'd be closer to it than present; four series against every other team in your division (~14 games each, but will vary by a game or two since some divisions will be 7 teams and some will be 8 teams), home and home (two series total, ~6 games) against other division within your league, and that leaves about 16 games to fill in with interleague.

Playoff expansion is a no brainer because of $$$, so I'd vote for top 2 teams in each division get in automatically, then 2 wild cards per league. Division winners get a bye, while the two 2nd place teams host the two wild cards (either best-of-3 with all games at the 2nd place team, no travel days, which is my preference; or, if you must, one and done sudden death). That means two extra games (up to 6 games, if you go best-of-3) and two extra playoff teams, which is palatable to me.

At least, it is compared to the possibility of 8 playoff teams per league and a whole extra round of games (with no advantage to division winners). Yuck.

17. Likes:

M2 (10-09-2021)

I hate it. Best of 3 at minimum. End the season a week early to accommodate. Those last few games are worthless.

The division playoffs should be best out of 7. I don’t mind the WC one and done. But after that it should all be best out 7.

20. Likes:

M2 (10-12-2021),westofyou (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The division playoffs should be best out of 7. I don’t mind the WC one and done. But after that it should all be best out 7.
    Five to get to the final is a cheap number, I always thought the NL east vs west should be seven in the 70's too

22. Likes:

M2 (10-12-2021)

I prefer best-of-three. Make it meaningful. I don't mind 1-game to break a tie at the end of the season, but I'd rather the playoffs play at least twice.

Turn Off Ads?