Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Lorenzen is prioritizing starting opportunity in Free Agency:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/6021790001/

Now he’s preparing for his first journey through free agency. He hasn’t ruled out a return to the Reds – “someone told me never to close any doors,” he said – but he seems likely to end up elsewhere next year. “Man, a lot of ups and a lot of downs, just like my seven years in Cincinnati,” Lorenzen said of his 2021 season. “I’m happy with how I’m able to bounce back, go out there, compete and try to give the team the best that I can whether I was 100% or not.
    As Lorenzen enters free agency for the first time, he’s hopeful a team will give him a chance to compete for a spot in the starting rotation. He knows there will be some hesitancy because injuries pushed him into a reliever’s role throughout his career. Three times he competed for a spot in the starting rotation and a different injury popped up each time: He sprained a ligament in his elbow in 2016, strained the teres major muscle near his right shoulder in 2018 and had a shoulder strain this year.

What sticks out to Lorenzen is the injuries occurred in spring training and not in the regular season. He showed his durability as a reliever, completing at least 80 innings from 2017-19, and he finished the season in the Reds’ rotation in 2018 and 2020 with solid results. “Never been hurt during the season and I throw a ton,” Lorenzen said. “I’m available every night. Rarely do I tell (manager) David (Bell), I would say after I went three (days) in a row, I went in and I was like, ‘David, I really wanted to be available tonight, but I’m not available tonight.’ Like I throw a lot. I’m throwing off the mound even when I’m not in games. I’m warming up. The fact my arm can withstand that during the season, it just shows me I need to do something different before I come to spring training. It’s not starting. It’s none of that.”

Lorenzen was frustrated with how things ended last week, but he remains confident in his own future. “Some unlucky things happened and things that are out of your control,” he said. “It can be frustrating, but you just have to keep moving forward. This season, it wasn’t ideal obviously. Didn’t finish ideal. None of it was really ideal, but that’s life. You just have to keep pushing forward and thank God for every opportunity.
    “You know me. I’m willing to bet on myself.”
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Lorenzen is prioritizing starting opportunity in Free Agency:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/6021790001/
    I wish him well in his future endeavors.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Chip R (10-13-2021),elrojo (11-29-2021),kaldaniels (10-13-2021),NC Reds (11-06-2021),REDREAD (10-12-2021),wally post (10-14-2021)

He must not have much aversion to playing for lousy teams, then. I can't imagine a competitor carving out a spot for him in their rotation.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

6. Likes:

Falls City Beer (11-04-2021),M2 (10-12-2021),REDREAD (10-12-2021)

Bye Bye..have a nice life
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    He must not have much aversion to playing for lousy teams, then. I can't imagine a competitor carving out a spot for him in their rotation.
    Well, it's a smart career move for him. Go to a team that will basically guarantee him a starting spot. Even if it's the Pirates on a one year deal.
    He can bet on himself, if he has a good year as a starter, the money will come in 2023.
    If he flops as a starter, he can go into 2023 looking for a bullpen job and his failure as a starter won't really hurt his offers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-15-2021),Revering4Blue (10-12-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (10-27-2021)

nm

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, it's a smart career move for him. Go to a team that will basically guarantee him a starting spot. Even if it's the Pirates on a one year deal.
    He can bet on himself, if he has a good year as a starter, the money will come in 2023.
    If he flops as a starter, he can go into 2023 looking for a bullpen job and his failure as a starter won't really hurt his offers.
    He’s had lingering forearm issues and like Tyler Glasnow I suspect we are all just waiting for the shoe to drop where he needs TJ. (I don’t wish that upon him but he needs to assess the risk)

12. Likes:

Chip R (10-14-2021),REDREAD (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He’s had lingering forearm issues and like Tyler Glasnow I suspect we are all just waiting for the shoe to drop where he needs TJ. (I don’t wish that upon him but he needs to assess the risk)
    Forearm issues are usually a good indication someone's going to have TJ. Lorenzen's a good dude, no doubt about it. But I think to a lot of Reds fans that a great part of his appeal is that he can hit and play the field. Kind of like our own Ohtani. His skill set is unusual and people like that. It'd be nice if he were our own Ohtani and could pitch every 5th day and play OF the other days. But Ohtani only made $3M this year and will make $5.5M next year. That's probably the best bargain in baseball. It's also not much of a risk if he gets injured. If the Reds want to keep him and gave him a qualifying offer and he accepted, they would be on the hook for $18.5M in 2022. That's an awful lot to give someone who doesn't start and isn't a closer and gets hurt about every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-20-2021),Hubba (10-15-2021),REDREAD (10-14-2021),Revering4Blue (10-14-2021),westofyou (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Forearm issues are usually a good indication someone's going to have TJ. Lorenzen's a good dude, no doubt about it. But I think to a lot of Reds fans that a great part of his appeal is that he can hit and play the field. Kind of like our own Ohtani. His skill set is unusual and people like that. It'd be nice if he were our own Ohtani and could pitch every 5th day and play OF the other days. But Ohtani only made $3M this year and will make $5.5M next year. That's probably the best bargain in baseball. It's also not much of a risk if he gets injured. If the Reds want to keep him and gave him a qualifying offer and he accepted, they would be on the hook for $18.5M in 2022. That's an awful lot to give someone who doesn't start and isn't a closer and gets hurt about every year.
    Do teams no longer have the option to resign their own players for one or multi-year deals once they reach free agency? I've not heard that, but it's certainly possible I missed it. My understanding is that qualifying offers are used when the team doesn't expect them to accept it so the team receives compensation once the player signs elsewhere (i.e. Trevor Bauer), or they're comfortable paying the player that price for a year if the player accepts that offer. Otherwise, I'm not sure how offering a QO at currently $18 million would be the only way to resign him if the Reds were so inclined, which I don't think they should be, for what it's worth.

16. Likes:

Hubba (10-15-2021),REDREAD (10-14-2021)

np
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Do teams no longer have the option to resign their own players for one or multi-year deals once they reach free agency? I've not heard that, but it's certainly possible I missed it. My understanding is that qualifying offers are used when the team doesn't expect them to accept it so the team receives compensation once the player signs elsewhere (i.e. Trevor Bauer), or they're comfortable paying the player that price for a year if the player accepts that offer. Otherwise, I'm not sure how offering a QO at currently $18 million would be the only way to resign him if the Reds were so inclined, which I don't think they should be, for what it's worth.
    They can definitely sign him for less - however I’m not sure if they have to wait till FA officially begins to do so.

Your QO take is correct.

19. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Reds have exclusive negotiating rights with him right now, they could sign him today, tomorrow, whenever. No restrictions.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-14-2021),Ron Madden (10-14-2021),UKFlounder (10-14-2021)

Lorenzen had a 6.5 K rate last season. Maybe it was the result of his injury. But it was a steep decline from the last couple of seasons.

I don’t see him in the picture for the Reds, unless he needs to sign a minor league contract with ST invite.

I don’t see them giving Lorenzen a guaranteed major league contract this off-season.

23. Likes:

DocRed (10-14-2021),Revering4Blue (10-14-2021)

My first though when seeing lorenzen...Whatta bench kid??

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lorenzen had a 6.5 K rate last season. Maybe it was the result of his injury. But it was a steep decline from the last couple of seasons.

I don’t see him in the picture for the Reds, unless he needs to sign a minor league contract with ST invite.

I don’t see them giving Lorenzen a guaranteed major league contract this off-season.
    I definitely wouldn't mind bringing him back but I wouldn't pay a lot for him. I definitely wouldn't count on him for a full season but you can say that about most pitchers.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?