Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds 2021-22 Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Important to note, once upon a time Drew Henson, Ed Yarnall, Jackson Melian and Brian Reith was a king's ransom. Those things can be highly variable.
    Oh. I remember that ransom. Makes you want to puke. Say, for example, the Reds trade Castillo to LAA for a deal built around Adell….how could we really complain? Guy has MLB experience and stud upside. I’d be disappointed Castillo is gone, but I could live with that return.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Important to note, once upon a time Drew Henson, Ed Yarnall, Jackson Melian and Brian Reith was a king's ransom. Those things can be highly variable.
    Henson turned into Wily Mo Pena who turned into Bronson Arroyo, so…
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I don’t think the Reds are in a hurry to remove Castillo/Gray/Mahle from the roster. I think they have great leverage. Say, oh ok, we’ll keep them. That’s been reported as well.
    Scherzer coming off the board gives the Reds much more leverage in a deal with LAD. The Reds shouldn't accept anything other than a massive haul to move Castillo right now especially with the cost of SP this off season.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-29-2021)

Reds held Castillo last year after all the Yankee rumors. Good thing too. Gleyber turned out to be mediocre. There are reports this that the Reds are holding him unless there’s a kings ransom.
    The REds weren't in dumping mode last year. They didn't go all in, but they added pieces at teh deadline. This year they are subtracting.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The REds weren't in dumping mode last year. They didn't go all in, but they added pieces at teh deadline. This year they are subtracting.
    They “dumped” two guys with minimal trade value. Essentially they didn’t exercise their options. We are now talking about players with real value. Let’s see what happens.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-29-2021),elrojo (11-29-2021),mbgrayson (11-29-2021),MikeS21 (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Scherzer coming off the board gives the Reds much more leverage in a deal with LAD. The Reds shouldn't accept anything other than a massive haul to move Castillo right now especially with the cost of SP this off season.
    I agree with this, but we need to make a distinction between what they should do and what they likely will do. Those are different things. The Reds should hold Castillo and try to win with him unless they are blown away with an offer. .

What they will do is be desperate to move his Salary before he goes to arbitration and as that deadline apporaches, they'll be more and more drawn to low ball offers until they cave.

Its the same as with Miley. Miley at $10 Million was worth a B prospect. Since the deadline for his option was approaching, they didn't have the resolve to hold out for one. I think the arb deadline will work the same way with Castillo and Mahle. I'm not saying its what should happen, I just think with the apparant motivation to cut payroll, its what will happen. Its why I'd try to deal Gray with some dead money like Shogo and Moose. Maybe that will provide enough reduction that they can be rational with Castillo and Mahle rather than going all out to move them off the books. .
    Last edited by mth123; 11-29-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There’s a hard deadline in a few days, which is why there is this fury of action. In a few days, no more moves at all. We are seeing an entire offseason crammed into a few days.
    So now we have come full circle, you admit there's been a lot of teams making moves, which you previously denied.. You said something to the affect that only 4 teams have been making moves.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

They “dumped” two guys with minimal trade value. Essentially they didn’t exercise their options. We are now talking about players with real value. Let’s see what happens.
    And now the rest of the rotation is for sale. Seems pretty desparate to me. Why, the rotation? Because they are the guys making some money that other teams may want. They are stuck With Moose, Shogo, Suarez and Votto. Eveybody else is cheap. I wonder if Winker will be offered around as well.

I actually thought dumping Barnhart made sense. I think we've seen by what guys have signed for that dumping Miley made no sense at all. Andrew Heaney at $8.5 Million? Michael Wacha at $7 Million? Michael Lorenzen at $7 Million? Brooks Raley on a multi-year deal? The Reds would have gotten something for Miley today. All they had to do was hold him until the market heated up. They let his option deadline dictate their actions rather than the market itself. Its not like the Reds were going to cut a paycheck over the winter. The arb deadline and arb hearings will act as similar motivators for selling low on Castillo and Mahle. The Reds will be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for them.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-29-2021 at 03:50 PM.

14. Likes:

JCM11 (11-29-2021),REDREAD (11-29-2021),Revering4Blue (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And now the rest of the rotation is for sale. Seems pretty desparate to me. Why, the rotation? Because tehy are the guys making some money that other teams may want. They are stuck With Moose, Shogo, Suarez and Votto. Eveybody else is cheap. I wonder if Winker will be offered around as well.

I actually thought dumping Barnhart made sense. I think we've seen by what guys have signed for that dumping Miley made no sense at all. Andrew Heaney at $8.5 Million? Michael Wacha at $7 Million? Michael Lorenzen at $7 Million? Brooks Raley on a multi-year deal? The Reds would have gotten something for Miley today. All they had to do was hold him until the market heated up. They let his option deadline dictate their actions rather than the market itself. Its not like the Reds were going to cut a paycheck over the winter. The arb deadline and arb hearings will act as similar motivators for selling low on Castillo and Mahle. The Reds will be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for them.
    I don't think they are shopping all of the rotation in an attempt to unload all of the rotation. They want to move one of the three, and the return offer is what will result in who gets moved. I worded that poorly, but I think it makes sense. Like, if Castillo is moved they will hold on to Gray and Mahle. If Gray is moved they will hold on to Castillo and Mahle. I think they are looking to move a piece from the rotation because they believe they have options in the minors for the rotation. Agree with that sentiment or not, that is what they believe.

I do not think there are any rumors of moving Winker because they A.) they know they will not receive fair value for him with his defensive deficiencies and B.) they know they need his bat
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

757690 (11-29-2021),mth123 (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So now we have come full circle, you admit there's been a lot of teams making moves, which you previously denied.. You said something to the affect that only 4 teams have been making moves.
    There has been a fury of moves made by a select few teams. There were only 4 teams making big moves in the last few days, for the record, which is what I was referring to.

We may see a few more team making big moves in the next 24-48 hours, but still most teams have done very little so far this off season.

There has been a fury of moves made by a select few teams. There were only 4 teams making big moves in the last few days, for the record, which is what I was referring to.

We may see a few more team making big moves in the next 24-48 hours, but still most teams have done very little so far this off season.
    Man, just admit you are wrong and move on.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't think they are shopping all of the rotation in an attempt to unload all of the rotation. They want to move one of the three, and the return offer is what will result in who gets moved. I worded that poorly, but I think it makes sense. Like, if Castillo is moved they will hold on to Gray and Mahle. If Gray is moved they will hold on to Castillo and Mahle. I think they are looking to move a piece from the rotation because they believe they have options in the minors for the rotation. Agree with that sentiment or not, that is what they believe.

I do not think there are any rumors of moving Winker because they A.) they know they will not receive fair value for him with his defensive deficiencies and B.) they know they need his bat
    Hope you are right, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Man, just admit you are wrong and move on.
    I provided the facts that back me up. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

People see a lot of moves, but ignore that it’s only a few teams. Look at the list again, and tell me that everyone but the Reds are going crazy with moves. That is a false narrative, and it’s clear to see that it’s false, no matter how much you want to hate on the Reds front office.

I provided the facts that back me up. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

People see a lot of moves, but ignore that it’s only a few teams. Look at the list again, and tell me that everyone but the Reds are going crazy with moves. That is a false narrative, and it’s clear to see that it’s false, no matter how much you want to hate on the Reds front office.
    This free agent flurry isn't over yet, for one thing. 4 out of the 5 teams in the AL west have signed free agents already. That is only one division.

Oh, you can go ahead and add the Pirates to the list. They just added a free agent.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2021)

Oh, you can go ahead and add the Pirates to the list. They just added a free agent.
    Yes, adding Ben Gamel is a sign of an aggressive team going for it, lol. Btw, that’s the second fringe FA the Pirates have signed.

Turn Off Ads?