Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amir Garrett vows to improve after rough 2021 season

Re: Amir Garrett vows to improve after rough 2021 season

I just hope he doesn't sign with a NL Central team, gets the mental help he needs to be an effective pitcher, and blanks the Reds over 19 games next year, but I fear that is what will happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really think we should resign Amir. He's the type of guy that will come back and have a great year after being humbled as he was last year. Yes, he was extremely arrogant last year and he plays with too much of an edge, but sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before you can rise higher than you ever have.

Of course, this all predicated on him just shutting the hell up.

I vow to buy him a bus ticket and drive him to the station.

5. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-17-2021),MR X (10-20-2021),Tom Servo (10-17-2021)

Garrett throws too many walks, a real sore spot for the Reds’ pen this year.

Late inning lefty relief is an important role. I’d make a change. If Amir rebounds elsewhere, good for him, Reds can’t worry about that.

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-18-2021),elrojo (10-17-2021),Mitri (10-17-2021),mth123 (10-19-2021),Red Raindog (10-17-2021)

If...and it's a big IF...Amir Garrett is sincere in his desire to improve, I don't think it can be with Cincinnati. No, it will be with another team that figures out how to fix him and then we all sit in wonderment next season crying about how bad a move it was to let him walk when we could have had him for so little. Just the way it seems to work.

He will go to the Giants……
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

M2 (10-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Sal View Post
    If...and it's a big IF...Amir Garrett is sincere in his desire to improve, I don't think it can be with Cincinnati. No, it will be with another team that figures out how to fix him and then we all sit in wonderment next season crying about how bad a move it was to let him walk when we could have had him for so little. Just the way it seems to work.
    He could go on to have Andrew Miller type success for a few years and I’m still not gonna cry about it. It isn’t gonna work in Cincinnati and he has no value. Cut bait.

12. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-17-2021),Tom Servo (10-17-2021)

Having said the above, given the Reds poor showing the past several years, in the distant future I’m not going to be hurt by his lack of pitching success. He was hardly a backbreaker when it came to the team’s results.

But I’ll always remember his performance in the Pittsburgh brawl and love him for that.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-18-2021),goreds2 (10-17-2021),Roy Tucker (10-20-2021),westofyou (10-19-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I’d keep him at least through Spring. He was, objectively, just…terrifying. Awful. Muy mal. But he’s got the arm and he’s still young. Reds aren’t going out and buying a Josh Hader or Billy Wagner anytime soon. They have to see if he can be fixed. Put him wherever Brandon Finnegan is - some sort of secret rehab caves for lefty relievers who shouldn’t suck so badly but really, really, really do.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Brandon Finnegan was making a tenth of what Garrett is about to make via arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I’d keep him at least through Spring. He was, objectively, just…terrifying. Awful. Muy mal. But he’s got the arm and he’s still young. Reds aren’t going out and buying a Josh Hader or Billy Wagner anytime soon. They have to see if he can be fixed. Put him wherever Brandon Finnegan is - some sort of secret rehab caves for lefty relievers who shouldn’t suck so badly but really, really, really do.
    I like Amir. Always remember how he charged the PIT dugout. Before this season there were times when he was one of the best LH relief pitchers in the game. I for one didn't mind that he came to ST saying he was the closer. I liked it. Showed confidence. Now he's always had control issues even when he was good. I think his demise may have been that hitters weren't swinging at his stuff since they probably wouldn't be called for strikes. You get behind on the count and you have to come in with fastballs and he got creamed when that happened. I for one don't mind the drama and the swag. But I wouldn't offer him arbitration. I just think he's lost his effectiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

Mitri (10-20-2021)

The man is long on talk and short on performance. He lacks confidence and it shows. I'd like to see him in another uniform.

If the Reds are going to be very tight with money for relievers (or anyone), then $2.2 million lottery ticket is worth it for the upside of Garrett. Relievers seem to be on an every other year good-bad schedule. If they spend that on someone else, they’ll probably end up being worse. Remember Sean Doolittle was the big signing last year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If the Reds are going to be very tight with money for relievers (or anyone), then $2.2 million lottery ticket is worth it for the upside of Garrett. Relievers seem to be on an every other year good-bad schedule. If they spend that on someone else, they’ll probably end up being worse. Remember Sean Doolittle was the big signing last year.
    What upside? He's a match up lefty with mediocre stuff and relies on guys chasing a slider he can't throw for strikes. Lefty's get fooled and chase it, but the 3 batter rule limits his use. I'd take him for a $1 Million deal or less because he has uses with a lefty coming up and men on base when only an out or two is needed. He could help for about 30 or 35 innings per year getting one or two outs per appearance. They might be important outs, so it would be worth $1 Million or so, but they need a lefty who is more of a late inning shutdown guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?