Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2021: Is this a dream?

Re: UK Football 2021: Is this a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Whew.

Great ending to a fun season.

A couple of missed opportunities duting the year, but overall a terrific year
    Lose to Tennessee every year but other than that, win win win...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Next year's UK team could be special-- if certain players resist the lure of professional football.

Dare Rosenthal and Wan'Dale Robinson can both return, as can Chris Rodriguez. Conventional wisdom says all three will go, but at this point, I put nothing past Stoops and company. If all three return, UK would have the foundations of another dominant line, with Jared Burton as a sophomore, Auburn transfer G Tashawn Manning, Jeremy Flax as a junior, and true freshman five-star Kiyaunta Goodwin replacing Fortner and Kinnard. (Dotson can return, and I'm guessing he does just that.)

Out further, Izayah Cummings replaces 15-year senior TE Justin Rigg, providing more of a pass-catching threat but less blocking. (With the additions of so many quality WR, UK, I'm guessing goes to more one TE sets next season and more three and four receiver looks.)

A returning Robinson on the outside with Va Tech WR transfer Tayvyon Robinson would be a nearly impossible duo to cover. Add in four-star Dane Key, five-star Barion Brown, and sometime starter Clevan Thomas, and WR could be one of the best the SEC has to offer. Put Rodriguez in as the bell cow RB, and that team has few weaknesses, plenty of depth to weather the injury storm, and upside to spare.

That's a 10- or 11-win offense.

On defense, we already know Pachal is gone. Bully McCall is probably out the door as well. With the addition of the super senior season granted by the Covid pandemic decision, everyone else could return. Jacquez Jones and Deandre Square are, according to Matt Jones, likely to stick around for another season. Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald, outside linebacker Jordan Wright and defensive backs Tyrell Agian, Yusuf Corker and Cedrick Dort could all return for a super senior season. JJ Weaver was outstanding at time and could well be a top draft pick and All-American candidate. If all of them decide to return, the Cats have nine returning starters on a top-five SEC defense.

It's unlikely, of course. I expect both Robinson and Rosenthal to depart, along with others.

But it's possible..

That team, as constructed, would probably be a top-10 pre-season squad-- and depending on what UGA loses-- could challenge for the SEC East crown.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-02-2022 at 10:41 AM.

4. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (01-04-2022),cumberlandreds (01-02-2022),goreds2 (01-02-2022),UKFlounder (01-02-2022)

Keeton Upshaw, if healthy, could be a breakthrough guy at TE - good athlete who may have been an impact guy this year. Had he been available

I don't know how they pulled out this game but they did. They were down at least 8 regulars and I thought it had caught up to them in the 2nd half. UK was thoroughly out played in the 2nd half but they found a way. Stoops had exceeded my expectations. I just hoped for 6 to 8 wins a season but now have two 10 win seasons in four years. He is now only one win behind Bear Bryant for all time wins for a coach at UK. I hope he stays around while longer and maybe they can win the SEC east someday.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

goreds2 (01-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I don't know how they pulled out this game but they did. They were down at least 8 regulars and I thought it had caught up to them in the 2nd half. UK was thoroughly out played in the 2nd half but they found a way. Stoops had exceeded my expectations. I just hoped for 6 to 8 wins a season but now have two 10 win seasons in four years. He is now only one win behind Bear Bryant for all time wins for a coach at UK. I hope he stays around while longer and maybe they can win the SEC east someday.
    Excellent fun fact. I had no idea Bear Bryant coached UK football.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Really interesting tidbit today from Vince Marrow on the impact of NIL on the college football landscape.

Wan'Dale Robinson just finished a remarkably productive campaign at Kentucky. Broke the reception and yardage records and came up clutch in the biggest moments of the season. Named to the All-SEC team and deserved it. He's a junior and is almost assuredly going to get drafted.

The issue is that he's small. There's not much of a buzz about 5'10" 185 lb. WR. Despite the production, Robinson is probably straddling the line between being a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder. Typically, that would mean he's gone. It's either play for free or get a good signing bonus, try to stick on the team, get some reps, hopefully impress a team, get some more time, and eventually get some real money.

But Robinson is really popular. He's an in-state kid who's been wildly productive for an exciting team. Marrow claimed that Robinson might well out-earn a 4th round signing bonus. For reference, 4th round signing bonuses are typically in the high hundred thousands. Kid could make, according to Marrow, a cool million in NIL money in a senior season at Kentucky.

I'm not sure what I think of that. On the one hand, it's phenomenal that a kid can earn money by the sweat of his own brow while still in college. Other the other hand, NIL deals can absolutely be used to land recruits-- and bigger schools with bigger budgets will absolutely take advantage of that.

Robinson 100% has a $1 mil NIL deal to return. We'll see what he does, but that $1 million comment by Marrow is rooted in factual evidence.

“Potential” 41 million per this tweet from a company called “Only At Grand Slam.

@wanda1erobinson We want to offer you a potential $1,000,000 NIL deal! I know greatness when I see it. Would love to sit down and work a deal that is a win/win for you and our small business. @UKFootball @vincemarrow @JDrumUK @UKCoachStoops @espn @heraldleader @KySportsRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Robinson 100% has a $1 mil NIL deal to return. We'll see what he does, but that $1 million comment by Marrow is rooted in factual evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Excellent fun fact. I had no idea Bear Bryant coached UK football.
    He coached at UK from 1946 to 1953. Best days of UK football. They went Sugar,Cotton and Orange bowls They beat number 1 Oklahoma in the 51 Sugar Bowl. He left because Rupp was getting all of the attention and thought his football Cats deserved more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

goreds2 (01-11-2022)

Wan'Dale Robinson left. So did Paschal and Bully.

Jacquez Jones, Jordan Wright, DeAndre Square, and JJ Weaver are returning. (That defensive front seven might be the best Kentucky has ever had. 14 guys who can play.)

Chris Rodriguez announced he plans on staying as well.

The offensive line still has a few guys who haven't made up their minds. The secondary needs some portal assistance too.

Beyond that, Kentucky's in a pretty good place, all things considered.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-10-2022 at 08:48 PM.

15. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-12-2022)

UK ends the season ranked 18th. I'll take that.

The 2022 season gets started September 3 against Miami of Ohio. Two early swing games are SEC tilts at Florida and at Ole Miss. IMO a fairly favorable schedule especially if they can just split those two games.

https://ukathletics.com/news/2021/9/...-schedule.aspx
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    UK ends the season ranked 18th. I'll take that.

The 2022 season gets started September 3 against Miami of Ohio. Two early swing games are SEC tilts at Florida and at Ole Miss. IMO a fairly favorable schedule especially if they can just split those two games.

https://ukathletics.com/news/2021/9/...-schedule.aspx
    At Florida, Tennessee, and Ole Miss put Kentucky in the underdog role, but it largely depends on who each team picks up in the transfer portal.

UGA is the only team on that schedule for which Kentucky has no hope.

Example No. 732-113B how college football coaches are petty:

MSU's Mel Tucker leaves UK off his end-of-year Top 25 ballot.

So this week UK lost OL coach Eric Wolford to Alabama and he burnt bridges on the way out when he never came back to Lexington and started recruiting a player for Alabama on Kentucky’s dime.

UK made the announcement today that 49ers assistant O-Line coach Zach Yensen is taking Wolfords place.

The real worry is that Liam Coen could jump back to the NFL to replace Rams offensive coordinator Alex O’Connell who just took over the Vikings head coaching job.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Nice road win by UK last night. Next game is FEB 8 (TUE) 7 P.M. est. ESPN.

Opps - incorrect thread.
    Last edited by goreds2; 02-06-2022 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?