Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part XV - Mr. Ed can't find his medicine...

Re: Covid-19, Part XV - Mr. Ed can't find his medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's hope this is a sign that their AZ vax is not as effective as our Moderna and Pfizer vaccines and not a sign of things to come here. Looks like UK hasn't hit 52K since last Winter either
    If you look at the death numbers I edited my post to add (and that crossed paths with your post), I would suggest that what's happening in the UK is a very strong endorsement for the effectiveness of the AZ vax.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If you look at the death numbers I edited my post to add (and that crossed paths with your post), I would suggest that what's happening in the UK is a very strong endorsement for the effectiveness of the AZ vax.
    Does AZ protect better than others in terms of death but worse in terms of infection? I don't know. That'd be curious but it's possible. The infection rate increases do seem to be do to AZ and when they got it:

Waning immunity provided by coronavirus vaccines combined with the U.K.’s early reliance on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine has contributed to the current spike in cases, which are close to reaching the 50,000-per-day mark, one of the county’s top epidemiologists said Tuesday.

The U.K.’s speedy rollout of vaccines has meant that those vaccinated early on are now experiencing waning immunity, Neil Ferguson, director of Imperial College London’s MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, told the BBC’s Today program. “How early we were means we were a little bit more vulnerable,” he said.

The country’s reliance on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine that “protects slightly less well than Pfizer against infection and transmission” is another factor in the increase in cases being seen in the country.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/expe...onavirus-rise/

One study published in The New England Journal of Medicine found Moderna vaccine to be 96.3% effective in preventing symptomatic illness in health care workers compared to 88.8% for Pfizer. Another, from the CDC, found Moderna’s effectiveness against hospitalization held steady over a four-month period, while Pfizer’s fell from 91% to 77%. This research is still limited and more data is needed to fully understand the differences between the two vaccines.

AZ:
    As far as the Delta variant, two recent studies (neither has been peer-reviewed) showed, respectively, that full vaccination after two doses is 60% effective against symptomatic disease and 93% effective against hospitalization.
    https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/co...ine-comparison

I wonder if the USA deaths aren't so much related to the vaccine and it's more because of obesity and type II diabetes? I don't know but I'm happy for UK's death numbers that you posted and hope that continues

4. Likes:

Boston Red (10-21-2021)

I wonder if the USA deaths aren't so much related to the vaccine and it's more because of obesity and type II diabetes? I don't know but I'm happy for UK's death numbers that you posted and hope that continues
    The rest of the world is catching up on obesity, so I doubt it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

They finally approved boosters for over 65 for Moderna and JnJ. And approved mix and match. Sounds like they are kinda encouraging JnJ folks to get either Pfizer or Moderna.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

For those of you who continue to refer to Ivermectin as horse dewormer, here's some research that says otherwise:

Ivermectin: an award-winning drug with expected antiviral activity against COVID-19

Despite the challenges faced in developing these drug delivery carriers, and uncertainty with regard to the efficacy of ivermectin, it indeed presents promising potential. In an optimistic scenario, new drug dosage forms may not only contribute to mitigate SARS-CoV-2 infection, but also be effective against other emerging viral diseases.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

No wonder some doctors are reporting raving successes with this drug

My experience using ivermectin and fluvoxamine in 4000 acute COVID-19 patients: 5 hospitalized. 0 dead. 4000 recovered. 5 pharmacist threats. 1 medical board complaint. 1 lawyer retained. Hundreds of medication transfers for pharmacist refusals.
    https://twitter.com/DrSyedHaider/sta...5Es1_&ref_url=

For those of you who continue to refer to Ivermectin as horse dewormer, here's some research that says otherwise:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

No wonder some doctors are reporting raving successes with this drug

https://twitter.com/DrSyedHaider/sta...5Es1_&ref_url=
    I'm such an idiot for hitting these links. HORSE DEWORMER - the first link isn't even from a real study, again its "promising potential" before a real person study. The second is some "doctor" who seems to have some type of online medical practice but of course, his statement isn't a real study nor is there any proof that he's given horse dewormer to 4000 patients - in fact, they didn't start giving out horse dewormer until recently. Before that they were giving out AQUARIUM CLEANER. I also think they were some thoughts about having people drink BLEACH.

There is an actual human medicine that works for COVID - its from MERCK and will soon be available, but I doubt many folks will use it because its from "Big Pharma" and even though it will save those who get the virus, it was pushed to market for profits unlike HORSE DEWORMER which comes in a cheap generic...

Ugh...

Scheduled Moderna booster for me and wife this weekend. Appointments (at Publix Pharmacy) must have been going fast. I signed up for mine for Saturday, then immediately submitted for my wife and she got Sunday.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-22-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm such an idiot for hitting these links. HORSE DEWORMER - the first link isn't even from a real study, again its "promising potential" before a real person study. The second is some "doctor" who seems to have some type of online medical practice but of course, his statement isn't a real study nor is there any proof that he's given horse dewormer to 4000 patients - in fact, they didn't start giving out horse dewormer until recently. Before that they were giving out AQUARIUM CLEANER. I also think they were some thoughts about having people drink BLEACH.

There is an actual human medicine that works for COVID - its from MERCK and will soon be available, but I doubt many folks will use it because its from "Big Pharma" and even though it will save those who get the virus, it was pushed to market for profits unlike HORSE DEWORMER which comes in a cheap generic...

Ugh...
    It is a real study. It's all right there

Ugh...
    Don’t feel bad, I’m an idiot for clicking on the Dewormer link that you replied to. The language in the “study” it’s kind of like what you would see in a blog, and isn’t really a study at all. When the manufacture of a drug says don’t use it for Covid, I’m going to believe them first.

It’s really sad that there isn’t some readily available alternative to using horse dewormer to protect oneself from Covid.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 10-23-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Don’t feel bad, I’m an idiot for clicking on the Dewormer link that you replied to. The language in the “study” it’s kind of like what you would see in a blog, and isn’t really a study at all. When the manufacture of a drug says don’t use it for Covid, I’m going to believe them first.

It’s really sad that there isn’t some readily available alternative to using horse dewormer to protect oneself from Covid.
    I know, right. Gosh, if only... but thankfully there are these "studies"

I know, right. Gosh, if only... but thankfully there are these "studies"
    If you'd bothered to read the article you'd have seen that it does not even advocate Ivermectin's use in treating C19. In fact it goes heavy on mentioning the challenges faced by it. For example:

Despite its promising antiviral and preliminary anti-inflammatory potential, the development of ivermectin formulations presents challenges, primarily due to its property of poor water solubility. Consequently, ivermectin's oral bioavailability remains low [28]. In addition, its pharmacokinetic profile may be affected by specific formulations, and minor differences in formulation design can modify plasma kinetics, biodistribution, and, consequentially, efficacy. For instance, ivermectin does not achieve adequate concentration levels in the human bloodstream necessary for treatment efficacy against ZIKV
    Instead you get hung up on whether it's a scientific article or a study.

Personally, I'm not advocating its use. What I am advocating is having an open mind about all possible ways to treat this virus and help people survive it. Let's not be so quick to demonize treatments. I'm an advocate for any and all ways to keep people healthy including vaccines

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The best way to treat covid is to not get it. That means vaxxing and masking.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Unvaccinated Americans are more likely to die of non-Covid causes than those who received their shots, CDC report finds

• A new CDC report compared non-Covid-related deaths among vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans
    • There were 1.11 deaths per 100 people per year among unvaccinated Americans compared to 0.35 and 0.34 for Pfizer and Moderna recipients, respectively
    • Fatalities were also higher among the unvaccinated compared to J&J recipients at 1.47 per 100 people per year versus 0.84 per year
    • Researchers say the findings show vaccines don't increase the risk of death and suggest that vaccinated people are overall healthier than unvaccinated people
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Tangent point to mine but yeah. It's best to avoid unwanted pregnancies too but they still happen, hence we have a debate about abortion. With more and more breakthrough infections, even vaccinated people could benefit from modalities to treat C19

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The CDC no longer recommends wearing a mask after being vaccinated unless you are otherwise at risk or where it is required by law. I assume that's what you meant.

Of course, someone who hasn't got the vaccine by now isn't wearing a mask either, so it sucks to be them, as evidenced by several people in my neighborhood in the last few weeks.

Turn Off Ads?