Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 5 key questions facing the Reds this offseason

5 key questions facing the Reds this offseason

How do you fix the bullpen?
    David Bell didn’t rely on a dedicated closer, which resulted in 10 different relievers notching saves. Mychal Givens and Michael Lorenzen are both expected to depart as free agents in the offseason.

The club’s best reliever, Tejay Antone, is out until 2023 after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. But Cincinnati will have Lucas Sims, who overcame an elbow injury to post a 1.26 ERA with 25 strikeouts over his final 15 appearances (14 1/3 innings). Luis Cessa had a 2.05 ERA in 24 games after coming over via a trade with the Yankees. Art Warren, Tony Santillan and Dauri Moreta will all get shots to close. Amir Garrett had an unexpectedly rough season with a 6.04 ERA, but looked better in the final month. Clearly, there is work to be done to upgrade the back end of the bullpen.

Rotation depth?
    Luis Castillo, Sonny Gray and Tyler Mahle are expected to be the team’s top three starters next year, but questions remain about the fourth and fifth spots. Wade Miley has a $10 million club option for 2022, and it’s not clear if it will be exercised. Vladimir Gutierrez had nice starts after being called up in late May, but ran out of gas down the stretch.

Rotation depth was an issue for the Reds this season, but it could improve in 2022 with the arrival of some younger arms. Top prospect Hunter Greene will get a chance to make the team, and No. 2 prospect Nick Lodolo could also be ready sooner rather than later.

Reiver Sanmartin impressed in two big league starts vs. the Pirates in the final week of the regular season, and Riley O’Brien could also get a longer look in the rotation next year. The club also likes Santillan as a starter.
    Read more here: https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-q...2021-offseason

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5 key questions facing the Reds this offseason

There are many more issues than the pitching staff: Centerfield, rightfield if Cast departs, overall depth, second catcher.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-20-2021)

Reds’ dilemma at third base, the first item in the article, is a self-imposed problem.

I like Moustakas and think he’ll get healthy and rebound. But constantly adding third basemen, with the view they can simply change positions, is now biting them in the butt.

The idea was that, with the shift, Moose would be ok at second base. In hindsight that thinking hasn’t worked for the team, with guys frequently out of position. Further, they now have all this money invested in two third basemen.

MLB ball isn’t a pickup game. Sign and trade for players who are very good at their positions. And keep them in those positions most of the time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-17-2021 at 11:04 AM.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (10-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds’ dilemma at third base, the first item in the article, is a self-imposed problem.

I like Moustakas and think he’ll get healthy and rebound. But constantly adding third basemen, with the view they can simply change positions, is now biting them in the butt.

The idea was that, with the shift, Moose would be ok at second base. In hindsight that thinking hasn’t worked for the team. Reds are too often playing guys out of position.

MLB ball isn’t a pickup game. Sign and trade for players who are very good at their positions. And keep them in those positions most of the time.
    At his age, I think it will be a chronic issue, and he will never be consistently healthy. He might still be somewhat productive in spurts, but I would never count on him for more than 115 games in a season for the rest of his career.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 10-17-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (10-19-2021),westofyou (10-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    At his age, I think it will be a chronic issue, and he will never be consistently healthy. He might still be somewhat product in spurts, but I would never count on him for more than 115 games in a season for the rest of his career.
    I agree with Klu.

If I had to bet on who has the better stats the rest of their careers, my money would be on Geno.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (10-19-2021),HokieRed (10-18-2021),Red Raindog (10-19-2021)

At his age, I think it will be a chronic issue, and he will never be consistently healthy. He might still be somewhat productive in spurts, but I would never count on him for more than 115 games in a season for the rest of his career.
    They have new surgical techniques for PF I would imagine if it is still bothering him he will go under the knife to release the fascia.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    They have new surgical techniques for PF I would imagine if it is still bothering him he will go under the knife to release the fascia.
    But do they have a new surgical technique for being 33?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (10-18-2021)

But do they have a new surgical technique for being 33?
    Pretty sure it is depicted in Brazil.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-18-2021),Chip R (10-18-2021),Red Raindog (10-19-2021)

I was crippled with PF in my 40s and did traveling masonry ( “traveling” means if you don’t out produce others, you don’t travel). I used ace bandages to stretch my tendons at night while sleeping. A month or so I was better. PF was not career ending for me.

Results may vary.
    May the Lord bless

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

The idea was that, with the shift, Moose would be ok at second base. In hindsight that thinking hasn’t worked for the team, with guys frequently out of position. Further, they now have all this money invested in two third basemen.

They could move guys around when needed, but only down the defensive spectrum, not up. So your point stands.

Turn Off Ads?