Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That was 1989, so borderline for you.
    I was 5
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 College Football Thread Part Two The Road to the Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have no idea who Bill Frieder is.

If UC wants to keep Fickell it’s simple: pay the man.

Otherwise, it is what it is. If he will coach through the conference championship and postseason, you absolutely let him do it. Pride be damned, this is a potential national championship. Perhaps the only chance UC football will literally ever have in football.
    Bill Frieder was the basketball coach at Michigan in the late 80s. He announced he had accepted a coaching job at Arizona State and wanted to coach through the NCAA tournament. Bo Schembechler who was Michigan’s AD at the time famously said “Only a Michigan man will coach at Michigan” so he told Frieder to hit the road and promoted Steve Fisher and the rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-25-2021),cumberlandreds (11-25-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Bill Frieder was the basketball coach at Michigan in the late 80s. He announced he had accepted a coaching job at Arizona State and wanted to coach through the NCAA tournament. Bo Schembechler who was Michigan’s AD at the time famously said “Only a Michigan man will coach at Michigan” so he told Frieder to hit the road and promoted Steve Fisher and the rest is history.
    History shows that Bill was an absolute idiot...and the Sun Devils got what they deserved. RIP Bo.

6. Likes:

Chip R (11-29-2021)

Bo was actively covering up sexual assault at the time too. A great Michigan Man….

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2021),Chip R (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think he’s the hire LSU should make but won’t.

Think about it, he’s got extensive Louisiana recruiting connections. Think it wouldn’t be a good idea to keep those connections in state?

LSU isn’t Ohio State or Alabama. They don’t recruit nationally. They have a hotbed of talent there in the Bayou that if Napier goes to Florida he can sell recruits on playing in Louisiana twice a year during their tenure.

As much as I hate to say it Florida should target Mark Stoops and I know their fans wouldn’t be happy with it. Mullen has destroyed Florida from a recruiting standpoint and Stoops does have ties there. Problem is the fanbase wants to win and win now but at the same time Florida is nowhere near in the shape Kentucky was when Stoops took over. That said I kinda wonder if Stoops takes it if offered. He might be happy being the Kirk Ferentz of the Bluegrass.
    I’ve heard he has no interest in LSU. Supposedly the booster influence/control there is difficult to navigate and some coaches won’t even consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Pathetic how these big programs can take a coach while he’s having a historic season and can’t let him play out his season and possibly the playoffs. Is UC is going to be screwed over again like they were when their coach left for ND.

These teams can’t freaking wait.
    I mean, the coaches aren’t being forced. There is no off-season with recruiting and program building and these schools aren’t interested in delaying the process. Either way at the end of the day it’s the coaches choice. Only way this would ever be addressed is if the NCAA made some kind of a rule, which would never happen.

In regards to Napier-Florida I’m hearing there’s haggling over what/how many assistants would be coming with him. Not sure if this would end up being a deal breaker. I keep hearing he’s the guy but then again, I was told it was Chip last time.

Worrying, Frost dragging almost his entire staff to Nebraska probably set him back 2 years, Mullen and his devotion to "HIS" 4 guys led to his downfall.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I mean, the coaches aren’t being forced. There is no off-season with recruiting and program building and these schools aren’t interested in delaying the process. Either way at the end of the day it’s the coaches choice. Only way this would ever be addressed is if the NCAA made some kind of a rule, which would never happen.

I understand your point. Yes there has to be a better way. Hold off recruiting for the month of the playoffs?
    Either way it could screw over the team for the playoffs and their own recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Worrying, Frost dragging almost his entire staff to Nebraska probably set him back 2 years, Mullen and his devotion to "HIS" 4 guys led to his downfall.
    Agreed

Bo was actively covering up sexual assault at the time too. A great Michigan Man….
    Does Bo even meet the definition of “Michigan man”? His alma matter is Miami University…

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I understand your point. Yes there has to be a better way. Hold off recruiting for the month of the playoffs?
    Either way it could screw over the team for the playoffs and their own recruiting.
    The signing period used to be in February. They moved it up to December. They aren’t going to change it again any time soon.

The signing period used to be in February. They moved it up to December. They aren’t going to change it again any time soon.
    There are some programs it REALLY matters for. If you are OSU or Bama and are replacing your coach, you have to get something in place early. If you are many of the other programs out there, get the right coach, mine the transfer portal, and build for next years class. Getting the right coach trumps the early signing period.

In regards to Napier-Florida I’m hearing there’s haggling over what/how many assistants would be coming with him. Not sure if this would end up being a deal breaker. I keep hearing he’s the guy but then again, I was told it was Chip last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I disagree with this notion but I completely understand it. Tubby left Kentucky basketball because there was pressure on him to can his assistants. All the faults he had, if the man had your back, he had your back.

That said, I don’t think Mullen would have been any more or less successful in Gainesville by holding over assistants or bringing in his own staff. Same with Frost but for different reasons. Mullens temperament and Frosts location are the biggest reasons for their downfall.

It worked for Mullen in Starkville where expectations were lower. Frost though it doesn’t matter. Moving to the B1G was a death sentence for Nebraska football and they are a ghost of their former selves regardless of who the coach is.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-26-2021)

I think the Gators should go get Lane.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?