Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread Part Two The Road to the Playoffs

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2021 College Football Thread Part Two The Road to the Playoffs

By my calculations if we were going by the old "bowl system", it would be Georgia vs. Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    By my calculations if we were going by the old "bowl system", it would be Georgia vs. Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl.
    old as in BCS? They would be in the National Championship game, and the location would depend on the rotation. I think the Sugar Bowl had the top SEC and Big East team not in the National Championship game. Actually, I am not sure who went where.....WVU went to the Sugar one season and the Fiesta the next after winning the Big East.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    old as in BCS? They would be in the National Championship game, and the location would depend on the rotation. I think the Sugar Bowl had the top SEC and Big East team not in the National Championship game. Actually, I am not sure who went where.....WVU went to the Sugar one season and the Fiesta the next after winning the Big East.
    No. pre-BCS like 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I can't remember all the details but think that was also an issue in not closing out Georgia last year in the bowl game. And a targeting penalty on the UC OT resulting in a backup coming in the game.
    Clock mismanagement cost UC the Peach Bowl game. It was a self-inflicted loss, sadly.

There were three critical mishaps on UC's final "full" drive before punting to Georgia. Georgia had no timeouts remaining. On two plays, UC snaps the ball with 10-12 seconds left on the play clock with the game clock running. Then on 3rd and 2 with 1:34 remaining, UC attempts a pass instead of running the ball.

It was so simple it was criminal. Snap the ball with exactly 1 second on the play clock if the game clock is running, not 10 or 12 seconds. And then run the ball on 3rd and 2. UC gave Georgia roughly 1 full minute of unnecessary game time. With smart clock management, Georgia would have had maybe 30-35 seconds left on that final drive. That's a big difference from the 90+ seconds they had.

They had no timeouts. You should be able to trust your defense to keep a team from gaining 40+ yards in 30 seconds with no timeouts.

Beyond the actual NYE Bowl game loss last year, it's still sick to think "what if" with regards to getting proper respect this season if they had managed the clock correctly and won that game.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-04-2021),redhawkfish (11-04-2021),Revering4Blue (11-05-2021),Roy Tucker (11-06-2021),texasdave (11-04-2021)

Well, this is not good news for Georgia.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tion-unfounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I truly will never understand why a star athlete on a football crazed campus feels he needs to rape women to have sex. Just bizarre.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I truly will never understand why a star athlete on a football crazed campus feels he needs to rape women to have sex. Just bizarre.
    We'll see if that really happened

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We'll see if that really happened
    For sure, whenever a story pops up like this I just always have that same thought. I remember a similar story about an OSU linebacker 7-8 years ago. He ended up being reinstated, story was bogus. Not saying the kid is guilty.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You are referring to Indiana as a top 10 team here? One of the worst teams in the country this year. Also, Cincinnati pulled away late in that game but was losing going into the 4th quarter, wouldn’t call that demolishing them.
    I noted where I was referring to Indiana as. And yea, slow start and outscored them 38-10 to finish the game in their house. Pin slow starts on us, but we buried them after that.

Was Cincinnati supposed to know Indiana would suck when the game was scheduled? Because if that's the case maybe outsiders need to be time travelers to know what wins will satisfy the committee in future years. Honestly, that's probably true. Until we can time travel to know precisely what we need to do to give these idiots no other choice, it's never going to happen. As long as this isn't a thing, the committee will invent reasoning.

Cincinnati is a top 4 team in the country. And I don't think that's even debatable.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-05-2021),Revering4Blue (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I am still a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't been arrested and charged. Why not? A woman accuses him of rape. I don't think they should have suspended him until more facts are known. If he's guilty, then he will be duly arrested and charged. But what if he's telling the truth and innocent?

When it comes to discipline/punishment, I dont put the cart before the horse. I believe in due process and inocent until shown otherwise. Accusation is not proof of guilt.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

jimbo (11-05-2021),Sea Ray (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Cincinnati is a top 4 team in the country. And I don't think that's even debatable.
    The hell it isn't.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I am still a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't been arrested and charged. Why not? A woman accuses him of rape. I don't think they should have suspended him until more facts are known. If he's guilty, then he will be duly arrested and charged. But what if he's telling the truth and innocent?

When it comes to discipline/punishment, I dont put the cart before the horse. I believe in due process and inocent until shown otherwise. Accusation is not proof of guilt.
    Yeah, I dislike the recurring theme of suspend first and find the truth later.

18. Likes:

GAC (11-06-2021),Revering4Blue (11-05-2021),Sea Ray (11-05-2021)

The hell it isn't.
    Yeah if you aren’t even allowing that it is debatable, I don’t know what to say.

Yeah, I dislike the recurring theme of suspend first and find the truth later.
    Yeah, but I think he should stay suspended until after the Tennessee game next week...

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-05-2021)

As far as suspensions go, I’m OK with using judgement in determining whether or not to suspend a player. I mean Trevor Bauer hasn’t been charged yet but I think the Dodgers and MLB handled it well (Administative Leave). I say that knowing that despite using best judgment, you may not always choose the right answer.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-05-2021),757690 (11-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?