Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Tucker Barnhart Traded to Detroit Tigers

They call me "chef"

Re: Tucker Barnhart Traded to Detroit Tigers

For $1,600 a night, you can rent out one of the Castellini family's vacant investment properties on AirBnB and experience the fruits of the tremendous work done by this magnificent franchise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I read that in a much more positive way. More like "we recognize that we need to get bang for our buck and are willing to move on from players who don't provide it." If anything, it cuts against the Bob C. preference for being loyal to veteran players to a fault.
    The Reds spent 6 years cutting, cutting, cutting. Presumably “aligning” the organization to bang for the buck. They opened up a 3 month window in 2020. Now they’re retrenching. I think history undercuts your interpretation of that quote.

4. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-04-2021),Powder River (11-04-2021),REDREAD (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That was a sizzling 3 months of contention in 2020 after six years of rebuilding.
    Trading Barnhart tells us nothing. Let’s see how the next moth plays out. I’m not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Trading Barnhart tells us nothing. Let’s see how the next moth plays out. I’m not holding my breath.
    No it tells us something, given the organization’s history. What wouldn’t tell us something is if the Reds went out and acquired a minor salary.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-03-2021 at 05:29 PM.

7. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-04-2021),Powder River (11-04-2021),REDREAD (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Reds need to overwork some younger guys in their cheaper FA years. I'm looking forward to seeing more Stephenson ABs instead of Tucker. Least of my worries to be worked up about as a Reds fan.

7.5M put to much better use than an aging and declining .650OPSish backup catcher

A well run small to mid-size franchise like the Rays, A's and even the Braves would never pickup that option. Good on the Reds for unloading the buyout and getting a scratch off lottery ticket.
    Every fanbase in MLB goes through the pretense of thinking the team can spend its money better than a mid-range guy who actually gives them something they need. More often that not, they're wrong. I'd love to see the Reds spend that money better, but I'm guessing it's more likely not to be spent at all.

And you generally need two catchers in the modern game. Overusing a guy behind the plate means you get a lower level of production from him. Tyler not having to don the tools of ignorance for 1/3 of the season probably gets the Reds a better version of Tyler. Make his squat for an extra 30-40 games and that plus bat might not be quite as a plus (especially for a tall catcher). Any other position and I'd be with you on hanging 'em up wet at the end of the season.
    Last edited by M2; 11-03-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-03-2021),UKFlounder (11-03-2021)

Double post
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No it tells us something, given the organization’s history. What wouldn’t tell us something is if the Reds went out and acquired a minor salary.
    It’s not a stretch to think they can reallocate Tucker’s salary in more useful ways. It’s also no stretch to think they’ll pocket it. Guess we’ll have to wait and see, or just jump straight to grumbling conclusions.

12. Likes:

elrojo (11-03-2021),Old school 1983 (11-03-2021)

I can't go that far. A team that doesn't have a CF, a 5th starter or a bullpen has no business paying $7.5 Million for a back-up catcher. Keeping him would have been the definition of malpractice.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

elrojo (11-03-2021),REDREAD (11-04-2021),Revering4Blue (11-03-2021),RiverRat13 (11-04-2021)

Not that concerned about Tucker, but Krall is an absolute clown of a GM.

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-04-2021),jwdoc77 (11-03-2021),membengal (11-04-2021),NC Reds (11-04-2021),REDREAD (11-04-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-03-2021)

Quintana seems like less of a lottery ticket and more of a scratch off you find in a gas station parking lot.

What will this mean for the new hippo at the zoo named Tucker?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The biggest winner in this trade is Barnhart himself. I doubt he would have received $7.5 million as a free agent. He is likely to get that from Tigers.

I guess there’s some chance Tigers negotiate him down from that number, but seems unlikely.
    This might hurt his chances in free agency next year. Detroit’s park kills offensive numbers. On top of that, he will have to live in Detroit for half the year, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I can't go that far. A team that doesn't have a CF, a 5th starter or a bullpen has no business paying $7.5 Million for a back-up catcher. Keeping him would have been the definition of malpractice.
    Stephenson doesn’t inspire confidence behind the dish. They’re probably going to go out and try to sign some journeyman for 1-2 million. I can buy that Tucker isn’t worth the 5.5 million gap, but then when you know it’ll just get pocketed, seriously, who cares?

20. Likes:

elrojo (11-03-2021)

Got no problem moving Barnhart or Miley if it means keeping Castellanos.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Got no problem moving Barnhart or Miley if it means keeping Castellanos.
    If they sign him gaurantee they will say they have no money to fix the bullpen. 75 wins or less here we come. Right now i trade this whole ownership for Tampa Bays or Torontos

Tucker Barnhart Traded to Detroit Tigers

Stephenson doesn’t inspire confidence behind the dish. They’re probably going to go out and try to sign some journeyman for 1-2 million. I can buy that Tucker isn’t worth the 5.5 million gap, but then when you know it’ll just get pocketed, seriously, who cares?
    Stephenson grew tremendously defensively over the course of the season. But you will only have to stomach a season of it as he takes over first when Votto hangs them up.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?