Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mzungu diary

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Mzungu diary

Mzungu is the Swahili word for a white person. That’s me for the next couple weeks. We just landed in Nairobi a few hours ago and we’re heading to the Maasai Mara in an hour for a safari, followed by some time at the beaches in Mombasa, before we head out to Nyanza to visit family. Photos will follow. Stay tuned.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-04-2021),cumberlandreds (11-05-2021),M2 (11-04-2021),Redsfaithful (11-14-2021),RFS62 (11-05-2021),RichRed (11-04-2021),Roy Tucker (11-04-2021),Sea Ray (11-03-2021),SunDeck (11-11-2021),WrongVerb (11-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mzungu diary

We've been out two days and it has been absolutely amazing. The first day we saw a ton of zebras, buffalo, wildebeest, more varieties of the deer family than you can count, and some cheetahs that were stalking a herd of zebras.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0061.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	17799

Name:	DSCN0059.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	17800

Name:	DSCN0091.jpg 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	17801

Name:	DSCN0052.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	17802

Name:	DSCN0044.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	17803
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2021),M2 (11-05-2021),WrongVerb (11-05-2021)

What's the weather like there? Is it hot? We're getting freeze warnings here

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    We've been out two days and it has been absolutely amazing. The first day we saw a ton of zebras, buffalo, wildebeest, more varieties of the deer family than you can count, and some cheetahs that were stalking a herd of zebras.

Name:	DSCN0061.jpg 
Views:	43 
ID:	17799

Name:	DSCN0059.jpg 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	17800

Name:	DSCN0091.jpg 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	17801

Name:	DSCN0052.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	17802

Name:	DSCN0044.jpg 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	17803
    What's that tree? I'm guessing it has some significance?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What's the weather like there? Is it hot? We're getting freeze warnings here
    Hit 78 today. It's now after 6:00 pm and it's in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    What's that tree? I'm guessing it has some significance?

Acacia Tree, native to this part of the world. It's the tree you always see in photos of Africa. I just liked the scene there with the clouds.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2021),WrongVerb (11-05-2021)

More photos from day two. We saw elephants, giraffes, more cheetahs, a leopard, and a curious lion that walked right up to the car and looked in. The elephants were amazing.

Name:	DSCN0166.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	321.1 KB 
ID:	17804

Name:	DSCN0170.jpg 
Views:	31 
ID:	17805

Giraffes pose well for photos.

Name:	DSCN0195.jpg 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	17806

Name:	DSCN0229 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	17807

This is the lion that walked up and looked in our car.

Name:	DSCN0151.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	17808

And this hyena just chilling in a pool of water.

Name:	DSCN0187.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	17809

Maybe more later. I find that I have to reduce the file size somewhat to post on here. I have the originals saved on a thumb drive, 4mb files most of them, so they're decent hi res pictures in the original. I still have a few to retrieve from the camera.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-05-2021),M2 (11-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Hit 78 today. It's now after 6:00 pm and it's in the 60s.
    Sounds perfect. Are the bugs bad?

Is this a commercial safari of some sort or are these animals just out in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is this a commercial safari of some sort or are these animals just out in the wild?
    We have a guide in a big land cruiser. He's been driving us all over the park, so you could say somewhat commercial. It's in the Maasai Mara park and you can't just go in there with your own car. The park is nearly 600 square miles, so it's pretty big and the animals are pretty much in the wild. And yes, the bugs are bad out where the animals are, but not so bad back at the hotel. There are normal flies, and these little gnats that won't leave you alone.

We left Maasai Mara the other day and hopped a plane up to Mombasa, where we've been hanging out at an Airbnb by the beach. The Indian Ocean is as warm as bath water. We ate at a nice place on the beach where they have a meat counter like a grocery store with various cuts of meat. There was lamb, goat, beef, chicken, and pork. You point out what you want and sit down. They cook the cuts you chose and then bring it to your table. We're heading back to Nairobi tomorrow, and then out to western Kenya to visit family for a few days before we come home.

We spent a few days in Mombasa and Malindi, two cities on the Indian Ocean. We got some quality beach time and visited Fort Jesus, a Portuguese fort built in 1593. The cannons they had there weren't reproductions, but saw service later in the fort's life in the early 19th century.

Name:	DSCN0312.jpg 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	17832

Name:	DSCN0322.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	17833

Name:	DSCN0324.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	17834

Name:	DSCN0325.jpg 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	17835

Then we left Mombasa and went clear to the other side of the country to Nyanza Province where Carren's family all live. We spent some time with her sister and then went to Lake Victoria where we own an acre of land with nothing on it. Eventually we're hoping to save enough money to put a vacation house on the property. I took the following photos on our property at the lakeshore.

Name:	DSCN0354.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	17836

Name:	DSCN0358.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	17837

Name:	DSCN0367.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	17838

Name:	DSCN0368.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	17839

Name:	DSCN0370.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	17840

Name:	DSCN0373.jpg 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	17841

Then we left there and spent the night at a friend's house in Kisumu, left there early this morning, and made the six hour drive back to Nairobi. It's not really that far from Kisumu to Nairobi, but the highways in Kenya are nothing like we have in the States and it's a bit slower going. We arrived back in Nairobi this afternoon and went with some friends to one of my favorite restaurants in the area, a place called the Carnivore. Suffice it to say this place is not for vegans. They roast every kind of meat imaginable and keep bringing platters by your table and you can take what you want. I had pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, crocodile, ostrich, and some tasty beef sausages that were kind of spicy. There was a salad thrown in just for an attempt at a balanced meal. We stuffed ourselves and got back to our friend's house around 6:00 pm, which was 10:00 am your time. Now I'm sitting on the couch chilling and going through photos.

We're just going to be hanging out in Nairobi for the next few days until our flight back home Thursday night. We should arrive home Friday evening and I'll have the weekend to get over the jet lag and then it's back to the grind. Incidentally, all the photos I've posted here had to be shrunk down quite a bit to upload them to the site, but I have them all on a thumb drive in files over 4mb each, so if anyone would like a copy of one of them in full size, just shoot me a message and I'll be glad to email them or make a shared dropbox folder or something like that. I've taken well over 300 photos here, and there are some really nice ones from the Maasai Mara where we saw all the animals in their natural habitat. We might not be back here until next year and I'm already looking forward to it. It's a crazy place in certain regards, but the people are wonderfully hospitable.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-15-2021),Redsfaithful (11-14-2021),Roy Tucker (11-18-2021),SteelSD (11-14-2021),WildcatFan (11-15-2021),WrongVerb (11-14-2021)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

This looks like a wonderful place. I hope you get that vacation house.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?