Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellanos opts out

Re: Castellanos opts out

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nick won't play RF for the Giants, I'd say we should count on that. That's a big arse OF there and with Belt and Wade Jr he ain't playing first. That said if he does play OF it will be an adventure
    I don't know. They played Alex Dickerson and Darin Ruf out there. They once won a World Series with Pat Burrell in their OF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know. They played Alex Dickerson and Darin Ruf out there. They once won a World Series with Pat Burrell in their OF.
    Correct, all LF too.

Can't see Nick in RF there as a fixture

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...year-deal.html

“Castellanos and agent Scott Boras are eyeing a contract of seven or even eight years in length. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweeted this morning that the Marlins still have interest in Castellanos even after landing Avisail Garcia, though Feinsand suggests Castellanos’ asking price is too rich for Miami’s liking.”

That’s insane

I could definitely see it happening though, especially given some of the numbers being thrown around right now.

He'd obviously lose AAV with a longer the contract, but 140/7 years seems realistic.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2021)

"So Fla Red"

7-8 years at 20M per year for Castellanos would be a GABP-induced record.

I can't see it happening, but given the insanity coming from Steve Cohen over the last week and some of the contracts earlier today watch someone bite.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    7-8 years at 20M per year for Castellanos would be a GABP-induced record.

I can't see it happening, but given the insanity coming from Steve Cohen over the last week and some of the contracts earlier today watch someone bite.
    It's not like he didn't have a big final full year in Detroit, followed up by another great year when he split time in Detroit/Chicago. He's been an extra base hit machine throughout his career. The difference is that getting out of Comerica Park resulted in more doubles turning into HRs.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    It's not like he didn't have a big final full year in Detroit, followed up by another great year when he split time in Detroit/Chicago. He's been an extra base hit machine throughout his career. The difference is that getting out of Comerica Park resulted in more doubles turning into HRs.
    Maybe, but Nick had ~4000 ABs prior to GABP with a .325 OBP and a .802 OPS. With below average defense.

Sure, would love to have him on the team, but 7-8 yrs at 20M+ is exactly the type of overpay for a second FA contract on the other side of 30 that won't age well.

12. Likes:

HokieRed (11-30-2021)

A huge chunk of those ABs were when he was under 23 years old and playing in Detroit can't be ignored.

I didn't say I think the Reds should sign him to a long-term contract. In fact, I think it would be pretty dumb given their current roster and apparent desire to trade anyone making decent money.

Cast isn't getting 8 years!

Why would Cast want to come back to Cincy, unless they are offering him the most money? His odds of winning are much less in Cincinnati.

I don't buy that the Reds will be in the market.

15. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (11-30-2021),Mitri (11-30-2021),mth123 (11-30-2021),Old school 1983 (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Cast *should* get 5-6 years at around $20MM/yr. Anything over $120MM would be an enormous overpay, he's a poor fielder with a career 115 OPS+ entering his age 30 season.

The universal DH will increase Nick's value. There's a whole lot of NL teams that now need to plan for it and he could hold that job down for a long spell of time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Chip R (11-30-2021),Old school 1983 (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021),Revering4Blue (12-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Cast isn't getting 8 years!

Why would Cast want to come back to Cincy, unless they are offering him the most money? His odds of winning are much less in Cincinnati.

I don't buy that the Reds will be in the market.
    If they are really looking to move pitchers he shouldn’t be in the plan. They need to upgrade athleticism and defense to help out the young pitchers.

The Reds don't need any--imaginable--contract of 8 years duration. Too much inflexibility.

I'm sure the Reds offer is cosmetic only and something well below they think he'd sign for. Then they can tell everyone they tried to sign him. Probably 4 Years, $75 Million or so.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm sure the Reds offer is cosmetic only and something well below they think he'd sign for. Then they can tell everyone they tried to sign him. Probably 4 Years, $75 Million or so.
    They wouldn't offer that much. I honestly doubt the Reds offered him anything.
    They would actually be foolish to try to even pretend they made an effort to resign him. That just opens the door for "well, if they had money to resign Cast, why didn't they get guy A, B, or C".
    That free agent pitcher that went to LA (Haney?) , the Reds offered half of what he got to go to LA. They claimed they tried to sign him, that they had "interest", but even if the proof did not come out.. no one is
    going to take that seriously. They gave Miley away for nothing. That pretty much hurts all their credibility. That said, I am sure the loyal beat writers will float a few more "The Reds were interested in Mr X" during the offseason, but I suspect it will be minor FAs. Their charade of pretending to be a player for a FA SS blew up in their faces last year and created an angry fan base. I Don't think they will try
    to repeat that mistake by pretending to court Cast.
    They will stick to the lame PR strategy of "we are so poor, covid, we need to realign our budget" nonsense. A lot of fans still fall for that scam.. Hey, it worked for 5 years during the tanking period.. which resulted in "a playoff appearance", so ownership probably thinks that rebuild was a success and they can tank 5 more years and the fans will accept it.

The crazy thing is, if they had just traded Miley for a C prospect, they would have saved a lot of face. With Stephenson in tow, no one really cared about letting Barnhart go, that was expected.
    People would have done all kinds of contortions to be hopeful for that C prospect, because it's hard to admit when your team's front office makes a bad trade.
    Heck, people have defended horrible trades on this board for decades. We all know what they are. I am not going to bring them up again and derail the thread.
    Point is, just getting a warm body that they could hype up for Miley would have been worth it just for the PR.
    Instead, the Reds aren't even hiding the fact that they don't care about winning.. again.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

24. Likes:

JFLegal (11-30-2021)

Turn Off Ads?