Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellanos opts out

Re: Castellanos opts out

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    But they aren’t. They have 3 established starters that I would trust in a playoff start situation. And a prospect in Vlad that did fairly decent last year. It’s not the same scenario where the whole rotation is throw into the fire with Feldman and Adleman
    Until Gray and Castillo are traded or leave as FA, which is going to happen before the farm produces enough pitching to backfill the rotation.
    Right now, we have two holes in the rotation, Vlad and whoever replaces Miley. Vlad is not very good, maybe passable as a 5th starter, but now he's being asked to do more to pick up the slack for Miley leaving.
    I was speaking more of Reed, Lorenzen, and Finnegan being rushed to the majors, not Feldman and Aldeman.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Until Gray and Castillo are traded or leave as FA, which is going to happen before the farm produces enough pitching to backfill the rotation.
    Right now, we have two holes in the rotation, Vlad and whoever replaces Miley. Vlad is not very good, maybe passable as a 5th starter, but now he's being asked to do more to pick up the slack for Miley leaving.
    I was speaking more of Reed, Lorenzen, and Finnegan being rushed to the majors, not Feldman and Aldeman.
    I know that you were speaking of the prospects and not Feldman and Adelman. The argument around here has generally been the Reds didn’t have enough rotation talent to support the growth of the younger dudes you mentioned. They were expected to produce at least like #3 starters and not take lumps. Vlad maybe pitched over his head, but he was more than passable as a 5th starter last year. You’re also assuming the farm will have to backfill the entire rotation. Recent history shows us that the Reds are capable of making solid trades for proven pitching performers in the off-season. Also, contracts can be extended. I get that every pitching prospect doesn’t pan out, but Greene and Lodolo were top picks who have crossed that AA threshold. The Reds need to give them a shot. If it’s at the cost of Wade Miley, I’m ok with that.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    NOWAY he accepts it now.. letting Miley go for free to the Cubs??? What a joke of a franchise
    Of course he won't accept the QO, but it ensures the comp draft pick.

And at least a willingness to take a very, very, very small level of risk the $18.4M salary is exercised. I'm looking for something positive here

It’s official: Castellanos turns down the Reds QO.

The Reds will receive a draft pick after the first round of the 2022 MLB Draft if Nick Castellanos signs elsewhere for more than $50M.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Of course he won't accept the QO, but it ensures the comp draft pick.

And at least a willingness to take a very, very, very small level of risk the $18.4M salary is exercised. I'm looking for something positive here
    Yep, could be worse, look at the John Gray situation in Colorado

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, could be worse, look at the John Gray situation in Colorado
    Yep, that's a lost comp pick for Colorado. Going to be a lot of cost cutting teams this offseason with the CBA expiration and two years of COVID gate and corporate box losses.

So part of this quote gets weird:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rd/6385207001/
    "The most important thing I would say is just the relationship I have and the understanding I have of the organization, of the direction that they want to go in," Castellanos said when asked if it's important to play for a contender. "What direction are you going in? Who's a part of your vision? How do you see them as pieces in your vision? How can I assist in growing and aiding said pieces to be better than they are now? How can I make them better in the future? You know, relationships, if you're paying attention you can definitely get a sense of who aligns with you, the way you think, the way you want to go about your game, the way you take the game. You just begin to understand who kind of aligns with that and who doesn't."
    Asked how the Reds fit into that, Castellanos said, "I really value the relationships that I have with the staff and the organization so I feel like to really go and speak on any of my opinions would be inappropriate really. If it ever came to a time where one on one away from media and all this stuff, ask me my opinion, I'd be happy to be honest. But I don't think the media is the place for that.
    "
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

9. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I don't think its weird at all. The organiation sucks, but I really like some of the people in it so I don't want to say that in the media. That's how I read it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

757690 (11-12-2021),Coopdaddy67 (11-12-2021),Kilgore_Trout (11-12-2021),MoneyInTheBank (11-12-2021),RED VAN HOT (11-12-2021),REDREAD (11-14-2021),Redsfaithful (11-12-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-12-2021),Revering4Blue (11-12-2021),RiverRat13 (11-13-2021)

Castellanos's comments only depress me as much about baseball as I have been since 1982.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2021)

Not Great, Bob!

says everything without actually saying it.

no one here should be surprised. we know we root for one of the worst teams in all of professional sports.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2021),Redsfaithful (11-12-2021)

He actually says he likes the organization, though. Thought that was odd.

I bet he’s pissed they didn’t add more at the deadline.

If the Reds weren’t cheapasses I truly think he would come back. Alas, as I predicted a week or so ago - I think he’s going to sign with Miami.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

If the Reds weren’t cheapasses I truly think he would come back. Alas, as I predicted a week or so ago - I think he’s going to sign with Miami.
    he knows his baseball history. literally said during the 2021 season "i'm just having fun being a cincinnati red." knew the history of the WS titles and the BRM.

probably was like "WTF can't we be like that"? fed up with nonsense like giving away the team's closer for free ... and then waiting 4 months into the season to finally address the bullpen.

it is clear nick loved his teammates, coaches and the fans. and as a fan, i love him back. i hope he goes to an AL team. and if he goes to an NL team, gottam i hope it's not in the central.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

My guess is he loved his teammates, loved the coaching staff, appreciates Castellini giving him a chance with his last contract…does not approve of the cheapness since there year they signed him. Thinks they aren’t prioritizing winning like they were when they signed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Likes:

mth123 (11-12-2021),Old school 1983 (11-12-2021),REDREAD (11-14-2021),RiverRat13 (11-13-2021)

All of this sounds a little bit like a load to me as it seems the relationship with the Reds turned out exactly as Castellanos wanted and as the Reds expected it would. In fact, I'd give the Reds fairly high marks for the way they contracted him. Obviously Cincinnati is probably in the lowest ten percent as a desired destination for free agents so the organization is going to have to be creative in being competitive. I think they were in this case; they got Castellanos because of the opt-out clauses, knowing that if he were successful in doing what he wanted--to put up very good numbers in a very friendly environment--that he'd move on for a longer term deal elsewhere. Castellanos got a couple years in GABP, Reds got two years contribution from him, Reds get a draft choice. Where's the problem? Infinitely better deal than the Moustakas disaster.

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-14-2021),oregonred (11-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?