Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellanos opts out

Re: Castellanos opts out

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Since it's an opt out deal can we still make a QO and get a draft pick?
    Yes.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yes.
    Not only can they, they absolutely should.

On the extreme longshot that Castellanos accepts, they get him at an extreme value relative to his salary.

4. Likes:

M2 (11-04-2021)

Here's what Castellanos might (MIGHT) do because he does like playing with the Reds: take the $18.2 million qualifying offer (a $2.2 million dollar raise from the contract he just opted out on, and have only a one year, as opposed to a 3 year commitment.) Just sayin', he MIGHT. He could still cash in after next year if the Reds don't go anywhere and he wants to split.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Yeah, we knew it was coming. And we all know he’s not coming back.

We have that Senzel kid ready to step up.

This off-season is going to be a dismal affair.
    Yeh...a whole off season of "how many games (if any) will senzel play before he breaks his ear listening to the radio?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Here's what Castellanos might (MIGHT) do because he does like playing with the Reds: take the $18.2 million qualifying offer (a $2.2 million dollar raise from the contract he just opted out on, and have only a one year, as opposed to a 3 year commitment.) Just sayin', he MIGHT. He could still cash in after next year if the Reds don't go anywhere and he wants to split.
    Thats what I said before. The other reason he might do that is to get that QO tag off his back. Teams generally don't like losing high draft picks to sign a free agent and rightfully so. A big market contender is going to think twice signing him if they are subject to lose their 2nd and fifth highest draft pick as well as $1M in International pool money.

If the market turns out to be not as robust for him as I suspect this may be his best option.

Avisail Garcia just opted out as well and plays RF. Castellanos is the better player but if you have to give up multiple draft picks and Int'l pool money it becomes less clear.
    Last edited by DocRed; 11-04-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Castellanos is going to get nine figures.

He had a great two years and I'll miss him, but I do think it's probably better to let someone else unload the Brinks truck for him.

Probably won't find somebody who can OPS near .950, but if you can get a guy solidly in the .800s who can actually play defense you're not in bad shape.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2021),Edd Roush (11-05-2021),Joeyjection19 (11-04-2021),M2 (11-04-2021),mth123 (11-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-04-2021),RiverRat13 (11-05-2021),Ron Madden (11-05-2021),westofyou (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Thats what I said before. The other reason he might do that is to get that QO tag off his back. Teams generally don't like losing high draft picks to sign a free agent and rightfully so. A big market contender is going to think twice signing him if they are subject to lose their 2nd and fifth highest draft pick as well as $1M in International pool money.

If the market turns out to be not as robust for him as I suspect this may be his best option.

Avisail Garcia just opted out as well and plays RF.
    Not happening. And he can’t be offered a QO again regardless if he declines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Not happening. And he can’t be offered a QO again regardless if he declines.
    Yes I know that. My point is if he accepts it this year then teams next year no longer have to worry about giving up draft picks to sign him and his value increases. Versus if he declines this year then teams will have to consider if he is worth losing potential multiple draft picks and Int'l money.
    Last edited by DocRed; 11-04-2021 at 03:15 PM.

There's no question he's getting a QO. That's a given. Reds ownership would be thrilled if he accepted it and they get the draft pick if he doesn't. Exact same thing as Trevor Bauer last year.

There's also no way he's getting 4/80 on the open market. He's 29 - the Reds would have ripped up his current deal and given him 4/80. He's getting $100M+
    Last edited by Musketeer22; 11-04-2021 at 03:16 PM.

14. Likes:

mth123 (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    There's no question he's getting a QO. That's a given. Reds ownership would be thrilled if he accepted it and they get the draft pick if he doesn't. Exact same thing as Trevor Bauer last year.

There's also no way he's getting 4/80 on the open market. He's 29 - the Reds would have ripped up his current deal and given him 4/80. He's getting $100M+
    I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get $100M+. He had a career year this year and his bWAR was still only 3.3. His previous best year was 2.8 bWAR. If he was an average defender then sure he gets that money but he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He had a great two years and I'll miss him, but I do think it's probably better to let someone else unload the Brinks truck for him.

Probably won't find somebody who can OPS near .950, but if you can get a guy solidly in the .800s who can actually play defense you're not in bad shape.
    I keep coming back to Andrew Benintendi. The Royals probably will move him for peanuts in order to save money. The Reds might even be able to get him to sign a 2-or 3-year deal at a fairly friendly price.

17. Likes:

Mitri (11-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-04-2021),RiverRat13 (11-05-2021),Tom Servo (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post

He’s effectively 30. Will be 30 all of 2022 season.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get $100M+. He had a career year this year and his bWAR was still only 3.3. His previous best year was 2.8 bWAR. If he was an average defender then sure he gets that money but he isn't.
    He's basically J.D. Martinez, who got $100M+.

20. Likes:

Kinsm (11-04-2021)

That's fair. I think he'll be above $100M, but who knows with the CBA uncertainty.

When do we start the petition to get Bob C to sell the team!?

22. Likes:

DocRed (11-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?