Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are the 2022 needs? Lets go ahead and allocate the resources.

Re: What are the 2022 needs? Lets go ahead and allocate the resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The example you are using is a really bad one. It was the worst move that a relatively smart franchise made all season. You should stop and think about what you are typing sometimes.
    Again, I can find numerous examples of the Rays doing this, but this was easy to remember because it just happened.

The point isn’t whether or not this one move worked out. Not all moves by smart teams work out. The point is that this is exactly the kind of move that the Rays make all the time. If fans want the Reds to be more like the Rays, they need to get used to moves just like this. That is what Rays fans have had to live with.

Of course, it’s easy to live with when the Rays win. But recently, for 4 years it didn’t work, the Rays were a losing team with this same philosophy. That is going to happen when you try to win with such a small payroll, no matter the philosophy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

Mitri (11-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Of course, it’s easy to live with when the Rays win. But recently, for 4 years it didn’t work, the Rays were a losing team with this same philosophy. That is going to happen when you try to win with such a small payroll, no matter the philosophy.
    The Rays have had seven 90+ win seasons(would've been 8 counting 2020) around those four losing seasons(two of which were 80 win years). I would gladly take 8 90+ win teams over a 12 year span as a Reds fan.

5. Likes:

757690 (11-09-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-09-2021),Revering4Blue (11-09-2021)

And it was a stupid move. Hill went on to pitch well for the Mets, meanwhile the Rays got crushed in the playoffs mainly due to their thin starting pitching.
    Should be pointed out, just for the sake of history, that very nearly half of Hill's innings for the Mets were against Miami and Washington.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-09-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The example you are using is a really bad one. It was the worst move that a relatively smart franchise made all season. You should stop and think about what you are typing sometimes.
    Yes, it was a horrible move in retrospect. But it seemed justifiable at the time as the goal was to allocate Hill's innings to Patino and Archer. Risky, but certainly understandable. If financials truly dictated the move, the Rays would never have accepted Hunter, with a considerably high salary and shelved for 2021 with injuries, in return.

The loss of Glasgow was much bigger blow than losing Hill, yet the team still managed to win 100 games in a division filled with franchises poised to spend much more than them. So no, not every deal is going to work out in the favor of even the most astute of organizations, and the Hill deal, as of now, has been a bust, though BZ is correct about the Cruz angle.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Back to the orginal question, the answer as of now in order of importance. All of these are must do items IMO. :

1. Two starting pitchers (one might come from the kid candidates Vlad, SanMartin, Greene, Lodolo or Ashcraft).
    2. A legit two way player who is at least an average defender in CF - preferably one who hits against LHP.
    3. A Late inning LH reliever.
    4. A Closer
    5. A veteran back-up catcher, preferably one who is good with pitchers and can hit a little (either hand is fine IMO, a lefty compliments Stephenson or a righty can platoon with Moose with Stephenson as DH against LHP).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think the biggest and most pressing need is new ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-09-2021),Red Raindog (11-09-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-09-2021)

What are the 2022 needs? Lets go ahead and allocate the resources.

Since April 23, 2008 when Bob Castellini said, “We've just come to a point where we're not going to lose anymore," the Reds have won exactly zero world championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

13. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (11-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Back to the orginal question, the answer as of now in order of importance. All of these are must do items IMO. :

1. Two starting pitchers (one might come from the kid candidates Vlad, SanMartin, Greene, Lodolo or Ashcraft).
    2. A legit two way player who is at least an average defender in CF - preferably one who hits against LHP.
    3. A Late inning LH reliever.
    4. A Closer
    5. A veteran back-up catcher, preferably one who is good with pitchers and can hit a little (either hand is fine IMO, a lefty compliments Stephenson or a righty can platoon with Moose with Stephenson as DH against LHP).
    1. Assuming no one else is dealt, the rotation will be Mahle, Castillo, Gray, Gutierrez or SanMartin, and Hoffman. Then Greene after enough time has elapsed so that they control him for another year.
    2. Senzel and Shogo will be your CF candidates. Maybe Friedl too.
    3. They already have Wilson as a southpaw relief arm. Cionel Perez too. Jacques Pucheu is in the AFL right now mowing down hitters. He'll get a look this season. Maybe Brandon Finnegan too.
    4. Art Warren and Tony Santillan will battle it out for closer duties, with Dauri Moreta as an outside possibility.
    5. Say hello to Mark Kolozsvary (and perhaps Farmer) as your backup catcher.

They can skimp on every one of these items and sell it to the rubes who buy tickets.

Or at least enough of them so that they make their millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    1. Assuming no one else is dealt, the rotation will be Mahle, Castillo, Gray, Gutierrez or SanMartin, and Hoffman. Then Greene after enough time has elapsed so that they control him for another year.
    3. They already have Wilson as a southpaw relief arm. Cionel Perez too. Jacques Pucheu is in the AFL right now mowing down hitters. He'll get a look this season. Maybe Brandon Finnegan too.
    4. Art Warren and Tony Santillan will battle it out for closer duties, with Dauri Moreta as an outside possibility.

They can skimp on every one of these items and sell it to the rubes who buy tickets.

I suppose what you bank on in that scenario (or the worse one where they send some or all of their top 3 SPs packing) is Barrero has such a big season that people come out to see him. Maybe add Greene to that. Come watch the kid who throws harder than any human alive. It's less about the team and more about the sideshow, but you can only sell what you've got.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suppose what you bank on in that scenario (or the worse one where they send some or all of their top 3 SPs packing) is Barrero has such a big season that people come out to see him. Maybe add Greene to that. Come watch the kid who throws harder than any human alive. It's less about the team and more about the sideshow, but you can only sell what you've got.
    Yeah, because the only thing Greene can do is throw hard, that’s his only value to the team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yeah, because the only thing Greene can do is throw hard, that’s his only value to the team.
    Didn't say it was, but him throwing hard enough to break the sound barrier is the kind of thing you market when your team is taking a swirlie.

18. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2021)

Ideally, I'd like to see:

1) A veteran corner OF (RF) with some power [FA / Trade]
    2) A speedy young CF (switch-hitter would be nice) with contact skills [Trade]
    3) A high-leverage LH BP arm (Trade / FA]
    4) A backup catcher (LH/SH would be nice, but D/handling the staff is more important) [2nd Trade piece / 2nd Tier FA]
    5) A LH Middle Reliever [2nd-Tier FA / Trade throw-in]
    6) Various BP arms and bench reserves [Late-offseason signings]

At least one fairly significant FA signing (likely an OF, LH reliever or even a BOR starter

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Yes, it was a horrible move in retrospect. But it seemed justifiable at the time as the goal was to allocate Hill's innings to Patino and Archer. Risky, but certainly understandable. If financials truly dictated the move, the Rays would never have accepted Hunter, with a considerably high salary and shelved for 2021 with injuries, in return.

The loss of Glasgow was much bigger blow than losing Hill, yet the team still managed to win 100 games in a division filled with franchises poised to spend much more than them. So no, not every deal is going to work out in the favor of even the most astute of organizations, and the Hill deal, as of now, has been a bust, though BZ is correct about the Cruz angle.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Rich Hill has a two hundred point split differential, a .767 OPS Against when facing right handers. He's lived off getting lefties with his breaking stuff. I doubt he'd been very much help against either Boston or Houston, and I suspect the Rays calculated exactly that.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

I agree that this is probably what is going to happen and I believe that will result in the Reds struggling to stay ahead of the Pirates for last place in the division. My answer was based on what they need to actually win the Division and be a championship contender. I actually think we'll see improvement from Suarez, Senzel and Moose and that will mostly make up for losing Castellanos, but the pitching scares the heck out of me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to see:

1) A veteran corner OF (RF) with some power [FA / Trade]
    2) A speedy young CF (switch-hitter would be nice) with contact skills [Trade]
    3) A high-leverage LH BP arm (Trade / FA]
    4) A backup catcher (LH/SH would be nice, but D/handling the staff is more important) [2nd Trade piece / 2nd Tier FA]
    5) A LH Middle Reliever [2nd-Tier FA / Trade throw-in]
    6) Various BP arms and bench reserves [Late-offseason signings]

At least one fairly significant FA signing (likely an OF, LH reliever or even a BOR starter
    That would involve a level of trying that the Reds just aren't going to venture.

Turn Off Ads?