Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for scorched earth rebuild?

Time for scorched earth rebuild?

Unless this team has plans to sign a couple of big free agents this offseason, we can't really expect to be any better than last season if as good. I honestly don't see Greene or Lodolo making any impact next year or maybe even in 2023. Votto's big contract comes off the books in 2024. Free agency isn't that far off for Castillo and Winker and Mahle. India and Stephenson seem to be the only major talent that will be under reasonable team control by 2024.
    Why not just keep India, Stephenson, Greene and Lodolo and move everyone else with the exception of Votto who is immobile. Pay a big portion of Suarez's and Moose's contract and move them. Trade for prospects close to major league ready. Winker should bring something. Just be content to lose big in 22 and 23. Sign a couple of big free agents for 24 and hopefully the top prospects develop

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Time for scorched earth rebuild?

Simple answer: No!
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-08-2021),Assembly Hall (11-09-2021),elrojo (11-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-08-2021),Ron Madden (11-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Unless this team has plans to sign a couple of big free agents this offseason, we can't really expect to be any better than last season if as good. I honestly don't see Greene or Lodolo making any impact next year or maybe even in 2023. Votto's big contract comes off the books in 2024. Free agency isn't that far off for Castillo and Winker and Mahle. India and Stephenson seem to be the only major talent that will be under reasonable team control by 2024.
    Why not just keep India, Stephenson, Greene and Lodolo and move everyone else with the exception of Votto who is immobile. Pay a big portion of Suarez's and Moose's contract and move them. Trade for prospects close to major league ready. Winker should bring something. Just be content to lose big in 22 and 23. Sign a couple of big free agents for 24 and hopefully the top prospects develop
    If Greene and Lodolo don't make an impact until 2024, this franchise is in bad shape

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-06-2021)

Time for new ownership!!!

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-08-2021),nmculbreth (11-08-2021),REDREAD (11-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (11-08-2021),savafan (11-09-2021),UKWhoDey (11-08-2021)

F no

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-08-2021),Assembly Hall (11-09-2021),Revering4Blue (11-08-2021)

I take umbrage with your loose usage of the term rebuild OP. That would imply that we've actively engaged in attempting to build, and not hobbling pieces together on the cheap and hoping it's enough to stave off the torches and pitchforks.

This ownership group is a f@#$ing embarrassment.

Sign a SS. Barrero to CF. Senzel and Naquin in RF. That’s not too bad of a lineup if they add to the pen. Not saying this is the case, but the money saved with Tucker, Miley, and Cast, that’s doable. Who offers Story or Seager around 20 Million a year and spend the next 12 or so on the pen? I mean maybe a pipe dream….but just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Sign a SS. Barrero to CF. Senzel and Naquin in RF. That’s not too bad of a lineup if they add to the pen. Not saying this is the case, but the money saved with Tucker, Miley, and Cast, that’s doable. Who offers Story or Seager around 20 Million a year and spend the next 12 or so on the pen? I mean maybe a pipe dream….but just throwing it out there.
    Why not sign a CF and play Barrero at the position he was born to play?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-09-2021),elrojo (11-09-2021),Mitri (11-08-2021),REDREAD (11-09-2021),RedsFanInMS (11-09-2021),RedsfaninMT (11-08-2021),Revering4Blue (11-08-2021),wlf WV (11-11-2021)

Haunted by walks

Rebuild math never seems to add up to me. How long would it take for any incoming prospects this off-season and next to become established major leaguers? And where will Winker, India and Stephenson be? The subject of “listening to” talk? Would it take 5, 6, a lost decade to get back to as close as this team is now? The Braves turned into a World Series team over half a season. Why should it take the Reds rebuild years?

16. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (11-08-2021)

I've come around on this idea, but I think scorched earth rebuild is very rarely a good idea.

Internally, you want to keep a culture that prioritizes playing well and results mattering -- while development absolutely happens in the majors, it should not be treated as a developmental situation. I suspect that risks the development of individual and organizational bad habits.

Externally, your organizational reputation is a real asset to be managed. That's true with both fans and free agents. That's not to say you should embrace mediocrity or chase after short-term solutions. In fact, quite the opposite, you should always be executing a well-considered mid-long term strategy.

So the reality is that it is almost entirely a question of what the return is. Outside of a few guys like India, Stephenson, Greene, Lodolo, where it's basically impossible to imagine trades that make sense short or long term, I'd consider trading anybody. But until and unless you're mid-season of a guy's walk year and you're out of the mix, I'm not feeling urgency to move anybody.

Instead of playing the game of thinking you can design and manage a roller-coaster of open and closed windows, simply keep finding value wherever you can and continue to amass it. Being beholden to particular multi-year timelines assumes too much about the future and may require you to pass up good opportunities to add value through whatever means.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (11-09-2021),malcontent (11-09-2021),Revering4Blue (11-09-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Name:  7CD73E28-1EA7-4F30-9E27-0B32420C098D.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  210.5 KB
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

And if Luis Castillo is their definition of “serious dollars,” hooooo boy.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    And if Luis Castillo is their definition of “serious dollars,” hooooo boy.
    They dumped Miley on waivers to save 1 million bucks, these guys want 25 guys making the minimum.
    Go Gators!

24. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why not sign a CF and play Barrero at the position he was born to play?
    Because the market this year is saturated with SS talent. You’re likely to get a better SS on the market than CF.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Name:  7CD73E28-1EA7-4F30-9E27-0B32420C098D.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  210.5 KB
    Heard this song last year. I’m taking it as large markets feel like it’s their birthright to use the Reds as their farm team until a move that actually hurts is made. Ditching overpaid backup catchers and 35 year old 4-5 starters doesn’t signal burn it down to me.

27. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?