Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for scorched earth rebuild?

Re: Time for scorched earth rebuild?

I don’t expect the Reds to do a tear down. They’ve been there, done that, I doubt they want to go through it again.

Gradually they will get younger and cheaper.

The question is whether they can be a good ball club while making that transition. It won’t be easy.

2. Likes:

757690 (11-10-2021),elrojo (11-09-2021),Revering4Blue (11-08-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Some teams always seem to find a way.

Other teams always seem to find a way to make excuses.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

0-2 Count (11-13-2021),alwaysawarrior (11-15-2021),JFLegal (11-08-2021),joshua (11-11-2021),Kilgore_Trout (11-09-2021),REDREAD (11-09-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-09-2021),redsfanmia (11-08-2021),wlf WV (11-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Some teams always seem to find a way.

Other teams always seem to find a way to make excuses.
    The Reds aren’t even making excuses anymore, ha! They are flat out saying the quiet part out loud now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

joshua (11-11-2021),REDREAD (11-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Heard this song last year. I’m taking it as large markets feel like it’s their birthright to use the Reds as their farm team until a move that actually hurts is made. Ditching overpaid backup catchers and 35 year old 4-5 starters doesn’t signal burn it down to me.
    So when they trade Gray for a .200 hitting prospect, Castullo for guys we won't see fir 4 years, Saurez fir nothing and tell me this team has any chance bringing nothing but a 4th or 5th place team finish. I am not happy about that with this ownership

9. Likes:

They traded the best pitcher in the history of the franchise for Rookie Davis because the owner was worried about a negative letter to the editor in the Sunday paper. This isn’t going to go well.

11. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    They traded the best pitcher in the history of the franchise for Rookie Davis because the owner was worried about a negative letter to the editor in the Sunday paper. This isn’t going to go well.
    That’s a creative way of saying the pitcher violently assaulted his fiancé by slamming her against a wall and choking her prior to firing a firearm. The Raiders flat out released a player yesterday for being in a video holding a gun.

Just reminiscing about the 2003 trade deadline immediately after Bowden had been dumped by the Reds. His assistants were given the mandate to dump salary. That began a flurry of trades that landed Aaron Harang. You would like to say that was some shrewd horse trading, but it basically was a blind squirrel finding a nut.

Yes, I do think that Krall was given instructions to get younger and cheaper. I also think that 90% of the other GM’s were given the same instructions. Ownership groups around baseball are still smarting from lost income during the pandemic, and the new collective bargaining deal is looming, and there is a lot of uncertainty. I think that this off-season is going to see a lot more “weird” transactions before it’s over - not just from the Reds.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2021),Revering4Blue (11-09-2021)

Thing with the Reds is that they kinda are stuck in limbo. They sometimes act like a small market team and then go out and spend like a large market team. Then they get stuck with periods of weird in between where if things break right, they’ll compete, but, if not they are sunk. I think they need to take a path and stick with it. Either behave like a large market spender or a small market shrewd spender. Get out of limbo.

Thing with the Reds is that they kinda are stuck in limbo. They sometimes act like a small market team and then go out and spend like a large market team. Then they get stuck with periods of weird in between where if things break right, they’ll compete, but, if not they are sunk. I think they need to take a path and stick with it. Either behave like a large market spender or a small market shrewd spender. Get out of limbo.
    I completely disagree. The limbo thing works for a handful of teams (Brewers come to mind). If a team has the money (most of them do, some more than others) they should spend it on both good players and scouting/dev/coaching. A good franchise walks and chews gum at the same time. Reds just happened to dish out a few bad contracts at the wrong time. It spooked the owners, who have become penny-wise and pound-foolish about owning a sports franchise.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-09-2021),M2 (11-10-2021),REDREAD (11-09-2021),westofyou (11-09-2021),wlf WV (11-11-2021),Wonderful Monds (11-10-2021)

They traded Bucky Walters for Rookie Davis?!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

19. Likes:

HokieRed (11-09-2021),Old school 1983 (11-09-2021),RedsBaron (11-10-2021),Ren Deagle (11-11-2021),Revering4Blue (11-11-2021)

Chapman is not even really the best reliever in the history of the franchise.

21. Likes:

HokieRed (11-09-2021),westofyou (11-09-2021)

Umm they traded him for Matt Bullinger, Jay Tibbs and Eddie Williams. Davis was okay but he was no Tibbs.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

I expect at least one more big salary to be dumped.
    Krall has acted like his hair is on fire the first week of the offseason.
    That's probably why he took the lazy way out with Miley.. he wants all offseason to dump the rest of the salary he needs to dump
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'd argue that it's not about pursuing the "right" strategy. Lots of different strategies can work. It's about doing it well. The problem with the Reds has not been having the wrong strategy or changing strategy prematurely. It's been doing a crap job of executing whatever strategy they happened to be pursuing at the time.

Ironically, they were getting out of limbo in 2018-20 by moving seriously on both fronts -- spending on major league talent and completely overhauling their development program. Then COVID hit and management chased away the architect of that plan. What worries me most is not the strategy. It's that they chased away the executive I had the most confidence in of any Reds exec in my lifetime and replaced him with a guy whose acumen is questionable at best.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Chapman wasn’t even the best pitcher on the Reds during his time here.

Turn Off Ads?