Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Morosi: Reds Listening on Castillo Already

Re: Morosi: Reds Listening on Castillo Already

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin4 View Post
    That’s kinda been my thought. Pick a year you truly think you can be competitive again to compete for a World Series and do everything in your power to get pieces that can be a player in said year. Even if that means being less competitive the next year or two.

My target would be 2024. Votto and Moose will be off the books. Suarez will be the only biggish contract left and only at 11M. And that’s assuming we don’t trade him before that. Stephenson and India will just be entering their 4th seasons and hopefully Barrero his 3rd full season. Guys like Greene, Lodolo, maybe ashcroft and a few of the young pitchers will all be still pre arb in 2024. The idea would be by trading guys like Castillo and Winker you’d also get another couple pieces in each trade that could be ready to contribute in 2024. If these things pan out you’d have plenty of money in the 2023 offseason to get complimentary pieces to surround the young core. Would give you probably a 2-4 year window to win depending how things played out.

Otherwise we can half ass it the next two years. Castillo and Winker walk for nothing or for less than we can get now, and the 2024 team isn’t anywhere close to being playoff ready.
    This is what needs to happen. Either go for it now, or go for it in 2 years. in 2 years you have a pretty clean slate on salary to really go after free agents to supplement what has been developed over the last 2 years. Threading the needle isnt going to work, especially when the owners/leadership have a lack of commitment to winning now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not to be disagreeable, but Castillo was a highly regarded prospect. He wasn't low ceiling.
    He was sort of a fringe prospect until he turned 23. He was the 2nd guy in a trade for Casey McGehee two years before he went to the Reds. And the summer before he came to the Reds he was dealt in a package to the Padres, but got returned when Colin Rea immediately got injured. So his valuation shortly before coming to the Reds was Luis Castillo = Colin Rea.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I may be misremembering, but I don't think Castillo got a lot of top 100 lists love, however, in hindsight you see a lot of stories about MLB scouts being blown away by him in person. The story of Castillo is actually one of the reasons I don't put nearly as much stock in the top 100 lists as I used to. They are generally put together by random dudes that talk to scouts and teams. Outside of the top 10 players, maybe 20, but I think that is a stretch, I don't think the top 100 lists mean anything.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

757690 (12-01-2021),HokieRed (03-14-2022),LoganBuck (12-01-2021),REDREAD (12-01-2021)

So the rotation stays in tact for now, which i'm glad to see. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't force a trade right before the deadline, just to get salary off the books.

But, i read that teams can still talk to one another, they just can't speak with players? So, in theory, teams could agree to trades in principle, they just can't announce it until a new CBA is in place. If that's the case, i have a bad feeling that as soon as the lockout ends, we're going to see at least one, if not two of them dealt. And i'm sure Krall will get fleeced, because you know, they had to align payroll with their resources....

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    So the rotation stays in tact for now, which i'm glad to see. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't force a trade right before the deadline, just to get salary off the books.

But, i read that teams can still talk to one another, they just can't speak with players? So, in theory, teams could agree to trades in principle, they just can't announce it until a new CBA is in place. If that's the case, i have a bad feeling that as soon as the lockout ends, we're going to see at least one, if not two of them dealt. And i'm sure Krall will get fleeced, because you know, they had to align payroll with their resources....
    At the rate negotiations are going we could see a strike the moment the lockout ends, so there won't be any more moves for a while.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-02-2021)

If the Angels want Castillo, the price has to start with Jo Adell and ???

The Angels are desperate. The Reds should feed on that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Angels want Castillo, the price has to start with Jo Adell and ???

The Angels are desperate. The Reds should feed on that.
    Detmers. Make them pay through the nose.

13. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2021),TRF (12-08-2021)

Preparing myself for the inevitable report that the Reds are trading Castillo, adding Moustakas to the deal and getting nothing back in return...

15. Likes:

KeefeCato (03-14-2022),REDREAD (03-14-2022),Revering4Blue (03-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Preparing myself for the inevitable report that the Reds are trading Castillo, adding Moustakas to the deal and getting nothing back in return...
    Reds owners should never show up to a home game if that happens.

No doubt they don't come to games anyway. They obviously don't know anything about baseball and don't care about the trust they were given.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-14-2022),UKWhoDey (03-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Reds owners should never show up to a home game if that happens.
    You think a bunch of boos is going to bother a bunch of rich schmucks who come to the games for the wine?

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-14-2022)

It bothered old man Linder when he got booed out of the building in front of the president. Rumor always was it was the tipping point in him selling.

Castellini ought to be tarred and feathered

I see Castillo, Mahle and moose traded for two 30th round players and a bag of balls

24. Likes:

RedForLife (03-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    You think a bunch of boos is going to bother a bunch of rich schmucks who come to the games for the wine?
    You underestimate how much booing and heckling gets to people.

Turn Off Ads?