Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Offseason Thread

Re: 2022 MLB Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That would be apropos

Assets are cool, don’t give them away before the market defines itself. Also known as don’t cry poor before you sit down to play poker
    I wish we, as fans, could sue for ownership malpractice. The only thing we can do is to "vote with our pocketbooks" which we know for those of us on this forum is hard to do, and only makes those idiots who have the keys to the franchise say, "see, we don't have the funds to compete" - its a cycle that needs to be broken.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I am seeing a lot of these deals going splat hard down the road. Maybe these owners are expecting even more inflated prices in the future or to be able to pass these guys off with top prospects attached.
    I wonder if the owners are going to push for a hard salary cap, with current contracts being exempt/grandfathered.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I wonder if the owners are going to push for a hard salary cap, with current contracts being exempt/grandfathered.
    That could be too. All I know is if this season doesn’t happen baseball can pretty much kiss it’s butt goodbye as far as relevance in the American sports scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I am seeing a lot of these deals going splat hard down the road. Maybe these owners are expecting even more inflated prices in the future or to be able to pass these guys off with top prospects attached.
    Baez deal seems pretty reasonable, depending on the fine print. $140 million for 6-7 years (unclear) is a lot cheaper than the biggest stars seem to be demanding.

The owners understand the risks and build them into the price/terms.

Tigers look like they have a bright future.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2021 at 01:15 PM.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I wish we, as fans, could sue for ownership malpractice. The only thing we can do is to "vote with our pocketbooks" which we know for those of us on this forum is hard to do, and only makes those idiots who have the keys to the franchise say, "see, we don't have the funds to compete" - its a cycle that needs to be broken.
    I read somewhere (Twitter?) that we fans could start a Union to place pressure on ownership. Who wants to take the lead on this?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Kudos to the Tigers. I think I’m going to watch more Tigers games the next few years than Reds games.
    You're not going to be watching any games next year.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I read somewhere (Twitter?) that we fans could start a Union to place pressure on ownership. Who wants to take the lead on this?
    Well, we did have that one poster that used to be on here that was trying to organize a boycott of UDF
    I think he got banned eventually though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

wally post (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    You're not going to be watching any games next year.
    Yeah we will, one without a salary cap too.

I predict a late January deal

13. Likes:

mth123 (11-30-2021),Revering4Blue (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Baez deal seems pretty reasonable, depending on the fine print. $140 million for 6-7 years (unclear) is a lot cheaper than the biggest stars seem to be demanding.

The owners understand the risks and build them into the price/terms.

Tigers looked like they have a bright future.
    The price tag seems about right, but Baez has a career .307 OBP and a league average bat overall. He gets his worth from his defense, and that usually is what starts to decline first, especially for a SS. He was the SS out of this FA class that I would have stayed away from.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The price tag seems about right, but Baez has a career .307 OBP and a league average bat overall. He gets his worth from his defense, and that usually is what starts to decline first, especially for a SS. He was the SS out of this FA class that I would have stayed away from.
    Baez lifetime numbers are dragged down by early years (and the stub season 2020). Of late he’s essentially an .800 or more OPS hitter with excellent defense at premium position.

His big negative is strikeouts but I think Tigers were smart to sign him. Impact player for half the price of the top shortstops.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yeah, I'd be very wary of him too. His approach/swing just seems like it isn't going to age well.

For Detroit, they're probably just hoping he can give them a great 4-5 years and whatever comes after that is a bonus.

These are the signings you expect to see with a sport whose average club's valuation - nix that...monopoly - is around 2B$ and a sport whose yearly revenues are on the verge of hitting 11B$ (and that's without a likely future of expanded playoffs). Especially after the past few off-seasons where a small % of FA's signed for 3 or more years.

19. Likes:

M2 (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Baez lifetime numbers are dragged down by early years (and the stub season 2020). Of late he’s essentially an .800 or more OPS hitter with excellent defense at premium position.

His big negative is strikeouts but I think Tigers were smart to sign him. Impact player for half the price of the top shortstops.
    Last 3 seasons for Baez: .303 OBP 106 OPS+

My guess is that in the Tigers home park, those numbers get worse. He’s excellent defensively, the Tigers need to hope that he doesn’t decline too much on defense, because that will be his main value playing there, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Kudos to the Tigers. I think I’m going to watch more Tigers games the next few years than Reds games.
    But then you'll miss so many engrossing novellas...

"The Fabulous Misfortunes of a Born DH Being Crammed into an OF Spot to the Detriment of All - The Tragedy and Triumph of Jesse Winker"

"I GET KNOCKED DOWN BUT I GET UP AGAIN AND THEN I GET DOWN BUT I GET UP AGAIN AND THEN I GET KNOCKED DOWN AND I GET UP AGAIN - A Tale of Hearbreak, Legbreak, wristbreak and Lost Love. The Nick Senzel Story," narrated by the guy who sings lead for Chumbawumba

"Lost In Translation - Why Shogo's Saber-stats in Japan Weren't Worth Their Weight in Ramen Stateside" by Jay Johnstone.

"The Rose That Grew From Concrete - How Joey Votto Sustained Hall of Fame Level Success Against the Odds" by the guy who wrote the Tupac Shakur biography of the same name.

"Crowdsourcing Hatred and Rage and Using it to Cash In BIG," a how-to guide to business by Bob Castellini.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

Banshee (11-30-2021),REDREAD (11-30-2021)

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Source confirms: Free-agent catcher Yan Gomes in agreement with Cubs, two years, $13M, pending physical.
    Deal also includes a third-year option worth $6M and $1M in performance bonuses each year based on games started.

Turn Off Ads?