Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Jonathan India, 2021 NL Rookie of the Year

Re: Congratulations to Jonathan India, 2021 NL Rookie of the Year

I think this team because of India for one has a lot of potential to be good next year and a few years after.
    C Stevenson stud
    1B Votto very good
    2B India Stud
    SS Farmer (showed he can be solid) with potential upgrade in Barrero
    3B Suarez (really came on end of the year expect bounce back next year
    LF Winker was impressive while healthy
    RF Naquin Aquino ( would make solid platoon IMO but would like outside option
    Cf Senzel (?)
    Bench Mouse/Shrock /Farmer/Akiyama/Friedl(really like him to help next year)

Rotation Castillo/Gray/Mahle/SanMartin/Gutierrez
    Pen Santillan/Sims/Cessa/Wilson/Warren/
    Pitching X factors Greene and Lodolo

I think this is a good start to the team they also should have at least 20M to spend expect payroll as of now 105M last year was 125M (I would expect a payroll around 130)
    so spend 5-7 for a vet starter
    Spend 5 million on a couple of BP arms
    Spend 7-9 for rf or CF
    With a couple of solid moves the team should compete next year.

I see a lot of young guys being key players next year. Too many are focusing of what we lost and not what we could be getting in the new players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess some are miserable. I'm not miserable at all, but with each cycle of tanking or semi tanking, I grow more and more apathetic about Reds baseball. I attended my first game as a kid in 1965 and grew more and more obsessed with the team every year. My interest started waning during the 2016/2017 mishandling of the rotation and while I tried to be encouraged by some of the subsequent moves, the Reds still shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Last winters unbelievably awful dismantling of the bullpen that resuted in a disaster took a lot of wind out of my sails. This year, the Miley deal, while actually more defensible than some moves, just seems like a signal that the same thing is in process with the rotation.

I don't place the entire blame for my waning interest on anyone. Its ownership, its poor front office decision making, its the inequity of how the game is structured, its the upcomeing work-stoppage, its my own aging and realizing I may want to do other stuff before i die besides being glued to the TV watching the dead end Reds all summer. I've been a die hard for a long time, but I can't keep rebounding from the endless futility and I don't see it ending any time soon.
    I don’t think I could’ve summed up my own feelings and experiences any better than this.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

4. Likes:

membengal (11-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I think this team because of India for one has a lot of potential to be good next year and a few years after.
    C Stevenson stud
    1B Votto very good
    2B India Stud
    SS Farmer (showed he can be solid) with potential upgrade in Barrero
    3B Suarez (really came on end of the year expect bounce back next year
    LF Winker was impressive while healthy
    RF Naquin Aquino ( would make solid platoon IMO but would like outside option
    Cf Senzel (?)
    Bench Mouse/Shrock /Farmer/Akiyama/Friedl(really like him to help next year)

Rotation Castillo/Gray/Mahle/SanMartin/Gutierrez
    Pen Santillan/Sims/Cessa/Wilson/Warren/
    Pitching X factors Greene and Lodolo

I think this is a good start to the team they also should have at least 20M to spend expect payroll as of now 105M last year was 125M (I would expect a payroll around 130)
    so spend 5-7 for a vet starter
    Spend 5 million on a couple of BP arms
    Spend 7-9 for rf or CF
    With a couple of solid moves the team should compete next year.

I see a lot of young guys being key players next year. Too many are focusing of what we lost and not what we could be getting in the new players.
    I don't disagree with this. Its why seeing the Reds cheap out and start removing pieces instead of adding them is so disheartening. If that Rotation still had Miley, then SanMartin, Vlad and the X factors could vie for one spot and serve as depth, it would be a strength. The thinned out group is more risky and likely to have a higher probablity of failure than before. If the team is on the verge, why pull back? Quit leading me on and messing with my loyalties.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't disagree with this. Its why seeing the Reds cheap out and start removing pieces instead of adding them is so disheartening. If that Rotation still had Miley, then SanMartin, Vlad and the X factors could vie for one spot and serve as depth, it would be a strength. The thinned out group is more risky and likely to have a higher probablity of failure than before. If the team is on the verge, why pull back? Quit leading me on and messing with my loyalties.
    What pieces did they really move out?
    Cast was going to opt out that was a no brainer.
    Barnhart is a nice player but it is Stephenson's time. (7.5M for back up catcher makes no sense) This money is better spent else where.
    Miley is the one that scratches my head but maybe they know something we do not.

The type of players the Reds need to add is too soon to know if they will add them or not but right now they have money that they can spend to plug holes.

If they do not spend their money this offseason or spend it poorly get out the pitchforks. Way too early to get them out.

I guess some are miserable. I'm not miserable at all, but with each cycle of tanking or semi tanking, I grow more and more apathetic about Reds baseball. I attended my first game as a kid in 1965 and grew more and more obsessed with the team every year. My interest started waning during the 2016/2017 mishandling of the rotation and while I tried to be encouraged by some of the subsequent moves, the Reds still shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. Last winters unbelievably awful dismantling of the bullpen that resuted in a disaster took a lot of wind out of my sails. This year, the Miley deal, while actually more defensible than some moves, just seems like a signal that the same thing is in process with the rotation.

I don't place the entire blame for my waning interest on anyone. Its ownership, its poor front office decision making, its the inequity of how the game is structured, its the upcomeing work-stoppage, its my own aging and realizing I may want to do other stuff before i die besides being glued to the TV watching the dead end Reds all summer. I've been a die hard for a long time, but I can't keep rebounding from the endless futility and I don't see it ending any time soon.

Yes. I agree with the sentiment. I do not waste my days like I did during most of the 2000s watching games on the package.
    I haven’t regularly subscribed since 2016. There’s more to life then sports as you get older and you have family health issues and a world turned into the episode from Twilight Zone. The Monsters on Maple Street.

8. Likes:

mth123 (11-18-2021),Revering4Blue (11-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Yes. I agree with the sentiment. I do not waste my days like I did during most of the 2000s watching games on the package.
    I haven’t regularly subscribed since 2016. There’s more to life then sports as you get older and you have family health issues and a world turned into the episode from Twilight Zone. The Monsters on Maple Street.
    You know, one other factor was basbeall being shut down for a few months because of the Pandemic. I realized during that time that there are other things to do. I spent a lot of time outside, hiking, sightseeing, on road trips etc. I imagine if we have a work stoppage this spring that I won't miss it much. I'll just do all those other things I discovered in Summer of 2020.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You know, one other factor was basbeall being shut down for a few months because of the Pandemic. I realized during that time that there are other things to do. I spent a lot of time outside, hiking, sightseeing, on road trips etc. I imagine if we have a work stoppage this spring that I won't miss it much. I'll just do all those other things I discovered in Summer of 2020.

I personally needed the 2020 season understanding that it would be difficult. I was home bound too much. Unable to go into a gym. Not eating better. Should have only eaten fruits and vegetables.
    I ate like I was going to the gym everyday. Stressed over my sisters cancer and the difficulty of worrying about covid.
    When 2021 season came it was great to see. My sister passed away before the season started. I just wanted to see baseball for a full season. I just will not be glued to it. Obsessed by it as much.
    It’s always hard not to check the scores though.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wouldn't know who I was if was in line at Chipotle either.

Yet on a site that can dive hundreds of posts in on a non-roster invite, this thread is a testament to how the Reds just chloroformed their fanbase.
    Not really. Bad news and sudden unexpected events drive the needle. With Redszone and most other sports forums.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Not really. Bad news and sudden unexpected events drive the needle. With Redszone and most other sports forums.
    Yeah, really. We haven't even broached the subject of what comes next for our ROY. This thread is tumbleweeds.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

"So Fla Red"

Yeah, really. We haven't even broached the subject of what comes next for our ROY. This thread is tumbleweeds.
    Worry, fret and complain about what might happen in 2027 after his rookie deal and arb years end... Plenty of time

They should sign him to a contract that buys out his arb years. Unless they decide to make FA after 5 years and eliminate arbitration. If not then after next year if his production is the same or obviously better. Try and Sign him for 6 years at least.
    I’m sure they can budget that with most contracts off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Worry, fret and complain about what might happen in 2027 after his rookie deal and arb years end... Plenty of time
    See? You can't even pretend to care.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yeah, I think I wrote something similar to this a week or two ago. I’ve climbed off the ledge since then and I’ll follow the team over the off-season and into next year. The Reds are a really hard habit to break.

But I am pretty cynical about the current ownership and management. You can be cheap but make good and thoughtful moves. But the Reds have been schizophrenic as hell over the past seasons and have zigzagged around. I’m afraid they are going to be cheap and stupid which doesn’t bode well. But we’ll see. I’d really like to be wrong and eat crow. But my BS detector is pegged about the Reds and what they say.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

mth123 (11-19-2021),Revering4Blue (11-19-2021)

It doesn’t matter what sport one follows, there is nothing better than seeing a young player come through your team’s ranks and make it to the bigs. Congratulations to India. It makes a nice change for a Reds player to win an award and then continue to play for the Reds the following season (we hope).

19. Likes:

elrojo (11-20-2021)

"So Fla Red"

See? You can't even pretend to care.
    What's there to say?

Congratulations to Jonathan and great job by the organization with the draft choice and development

Also cool to see a local Palm Beach kid here do well

Don't need 30 pages of handwringing for this one...

Turn Off Ads?