Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatever Happened to Those Elite Defenses In The NFL?

Re: Whatever Happened to Those Elite Defenses In The NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Free agency has probably played a part as well. You could keep those defenses together back in the day. Now, after a few years, a player can be a free agent.
    Really good point. No way you could keep the Steel Curtain together if you had free agency with a salary cap. Those guys would all be getting paid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Bengals defense with PacMan and Burfict in their primes was the only defense I ever saw the Steelers genuinely scared of.

But to the original question, it's true that the game has changed, now heavily favored to offense, so that's obviously changed things. But I believe our overall sentiment as a society has changed as well. I remember as a kid, watching these guys get absolutely destroyed. Knocked out on the field. "Carry him off with a stretcher! Get em a body bag! Woooo!"

Then there was that Shazier hit that paralyzed him for a time. After what he did to Gio Bernard, and after paying zero consequences for it, suffice it to say I was not a Shazier fan. But I felt horrible for him, just laying there motionless on the field. I realized at that moment that not only something within me had changed at some point between childhood and then, but that something had changed with many other people as well. More of an empathy for these guys wrecking their brains and bodies.

tl;dr Rules and Empathy.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Overrated.

I never said whether I thought they were great or not. I just liked the nickname...the same with the Killer B's.

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-19-2021)

No Name Defense, Wasn't that the Dolphins of the early 70's?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-19-2021),Chip R (11-19-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No Name Defense, Wasn't that the Dolphins of the early 70's?
    Yes.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    NFL legislated out great defenses. It started back in the mid 70's and now has what it has come to today. Not much more than flag football.
    legislated it out. That's pretty much it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    legislated it out. That's pretty much it.
    Makes you wonder when this will happen to the Major League Baseball “Shift”. (Sorry off topic)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

12. Likes:

GAC (11-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?