Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we know details of the Reds current TV Media Deal?

Re: Do we know details of the Reds current TV Media Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Sinclair won't be declaring bankruptcy. It would be Sinclair's subsidiary, Diamond Sports, that would declare bankruptcy.
    My guess is if that happens, the Reds, and other teams that have a stake in those RSNs owned by Diamond Sports are going to pare back payroll even more to offset those losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

The fact that we've heard the figures of virtually all other teams deals tells you 1 of 2 things. The Reds are either getting a ton more than people think and they don't want fans questioning payroll. Or they got a crappy deal and don't want to be embarrassed about it when everyone else around the league was getting rich.

I'll let you decide which is more likelyy

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    My guess is if that happens, the Reds, and other teams that have a stake in those RSNs owned by Diamond Sports are going to pare back payroll even more to offset those losses.
    right, this is not good at all for the reds. fans can cheer bad things happening to sinclair, but it's only going to hurt the reds if diamond goes bankrupt.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The fact that we've heard the figures of virtually all other teams deals tells you 1 of 2 things. The Reds are either getting a ton more than people think and they don't want fans questioning payroll. Or they got a crappy deal and don't want to be embarrassed about it when everyone else around the league was getting rich.

I'll let you decide which is more likelyy
    Seems pretty clear they are in the $45-55M a year range. #18-22 in MLB

That's a good range and can keep them near the top of the bottom 7-8 market size teams

There is no miracle $100M a year top-10 local MLB contract hiding in the basement for a market of the Reds size

This is a good article on the state of RSN's - hint: it doesn't look good for Sinclair, and MLB (and the other leagues) are trying to figure out how they'll replace that revenue in the future. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/21/spor...of-pay-tv.html

8. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-23-2021),REDREAD (11-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    This seems to be a closely guarded secret. It should be very large since the Reds are one of the highest rated MLB teams year in and year out. (5.16 Nielson rating in 2019)
    It reaches one of the largest number of TVs also because it is in ohio/kentucky/Indiana where there is heavy population and people love baseball in the region. This is why calling the Reds small market is a mistake.

The Reds want to make you think they are poor so that they can maintain their profits. The Padres had a 179M payroll last year and are projected at 185M so far this year according to sport trac so i think the Reds can afford more than the 125M they spent last year.

The deal is more likely in the 70-90M range
    Exactly, it's a closely guarded secret so ownership is not held accountable for their cheapness.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"So Fla Red"

There is no magical, secret $80-100M a year local TV deal like the top 10 markets such as Philadelphia, Boston, the Cubs let alone up and coming top 10 markets like the Astros, Nationals, Mariners and Braves.

Pretty clear the deal is in the $45-60M a year range with some level of equity ownership (which may have zero value soon)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Pretty clear the deal is in the $45-60M a year range with some level of equity ownership (which may have zero value soon)
    How is it pretty clear?

"So Fla Red"

It isn't clear so you are right as we don't know the details. Hence my y original post seeing if anyone else had some unique insight. With high confidence the range is in the $45-60M a year level which seems to match the market size with some level of upside bonus from the surrounding TV markets witin 150 miles.

We know it can't be in the $75M+ range based on known regional contracts negotiated in the same window and we know it is higher than the $30-35M range from the previous contract.

This seems to be about the only good source that I can find. Which is an estimate for the Reds are a few other teams with the Blue Jays always excluded since they are owned by Rogers Communications that doesn't disclose any details.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-upd...for-mlb-teams/

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    This is a good article on the state of RSN's - hint: it doesn't look good for Sinclair, and MLB (and the other leagues) are trying to figure out how they'll replace that revenue in the future. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/21/spor...of-pay-tv.html
    Of course the Reds Regional Network is the most expensive. I think everything will eventually be on MLB.TV. Then they can spread the TV money evenly.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fanmap.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	17861

Here is a fanmap which shows how big the Reds market is. This map is based on most popular team in a county

Name:	Reds Regional Fan Map.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	17862

Here is Reds Country map

Reds have Indianpolis, Columbus, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington and Charleston media markets as part of the Reds broadcast area and have one of the largest TV ratings of any regional network.

17. Likes:

JFLegal (11-24-2021)

I got an email from the Reds. They have some pretty killer Black Friday deals on tickets. I had my credit card out and everything.

But then I remembered I need to align my spending with the Reds payroll and resources.

So I'll just buy a nosebleed seat maybe once or twice, bring my own food and drinks in, and go sit where I want among the vast sea of empty seats instead. ...If I go at all.

And I'm not doing the vpn song and dance next season either. If MLB doesn't provide a non cable way for me to watch the Reds, I'm fading off into the sunset there too.

Lifelong Reds fan. Tired of it.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

Chip R (11-22-2021),Edd Roush (11-22-2021),Tommyjohn25 (11-23-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Im turning in my fancard since they didn't extend Tucker Barnhardt and waived Wade Miley

That will show them who is boss

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-22-2021),Roy Tucker (11-23-2021),westofyou (11-22-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post

Name:	Reds Regional Fan Map.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	17862

Here is Reds Country map

Reds have Indianpolis, Columbus, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington and Charleston media markets as part of the Reds broadcast area and have one of the largest TV ratings of any regional network.
    Yes, that helps and is why the Reds regional TV contract is likely in the #18-21 range instead of #29/30 like it would be if only Cincinnati TV DMA was the barometer. Also helps that Indy, Columbus, Lexington are growing quickly and the Cincinnati and Louisville regions are growing at a nice clip. The Reds are arguably in the middle of the strongest population growth area outside the Sunbelt, Toronto and the West Coast.

Turn Off Ads?