Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pitching Development - Throw it on the wall and see if it sticks

Re: Pitching Development - Throw it on the wall and see if it sticks

Something's off with Seaver's numbers on that list. He threw 1,085.2 IP for the Reds with a 3.18 ERA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Something's off with Seaver's numbers on that list. He threw 1,085.2 IP for the Reds with a 3.18 ERA.
    Just from 1980 on

4. Likes:

M2 (11-23-2021)

"So Fla Red"

Trevor Hoffman was homegrown and went on to have a Hall of Fame career for the Reds

Or some team like that

6. Likes:

Big Klu (11-23-2021)

You guys are trying to prove something with way too many details that have nothing to do with whether a pitcher grew up or was picked up later.

First of all times have changed dramatically. They now look for plus 95 FB repeatable delivery and then whether they need work or are more polished only thing that matters is ceiling. They used to (MLB) look for polished guys with offspeed that can throw strokes. Totally opposite now.

Then once a pitcher comes in to the system he either is developed or has self created playable skills, Command, control, movement, Offspeed. If he has enough he can get to the majors without outside interference. If not then crashes or team developes what is needed. No different from home grown or from outside.

Once again the minors is not a place that can determine if a pitcher is ready because the hitters are much different. It’s crazy. That is why some guys are average in minors and take off in majors and others it’s the opposite.

Unless an organization gets the pitchers and recognizes what will play and what won’t then fixes any issues ignoring results completely they are not developing even though some stick and others don’t. Cannot calculate this with record books. What can’t be seen by fans with success or failure. Was it good scouts finding guys that don’t need help or developement identiying areas that need help and improving them.

I again will use Tyler Mahle
    He had advanced FB command when he was drafted (Done) He also hid the ball well but his offspeed pitches all needed help. He lived solely off changing speeds with his fastball. Doug Grey like so many believed his ceiling was minor leagues due to low 90’s FB and horrible offspeed. He did put on about 40 pounds and increase arm speed.

In High A Tyler Mahle throws a no hitter and the coach asked him after the game why he only threw Fastballs, answer was because they could not hit any.

So results trumped getting better and even quotas are BS unless the work is being done in way that will make that pitch play to Major league hitters.

Now they are using spin rates which do a pretty good job of gauging whether a pitch will be successful when thrown in certain spots.

I guess you can look at Reds compared to other teams but thats all we can use unless you have watched it first hand.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-24-2021),REDREAD (11-28-2021),Revering4Blue (11-23-2021),westofyou (11-23-2021)

Doug Grey I saw you took to twitter because of your mention here, I don’t understand why you always get so defensive yet you will correct others whenever given a chance.

I do want to apologize though, I did not need to use your name to make my point. I was not trying to attach you.

I respect your work with Reds Minor leagues and on Chad’s show and very much enjoy it. You don’t need to be defensive though you are very good at what you do .

I wish I did not use it as an example but then you came back trying to say I was crazy by posting an article you wrote once Tyler Mahle was obviously just about to get called up. I think everyone knew he was getting the call at that point. So that was not not any great reporting genious. You would have to go back to few earlier posts prior to AA like when Tyler Mahle and TJ were in Daytona when TJ was kicking butt but considered a farm hand due to Velocity, could have been on Redzone where someone made a comment about a player you are high on that usually puts you in a tizzy and you like to put that player down to build your guy up. Anyway good luck and thanks for what you do.

10. Likes:

westofyou (11-24-2021)

Doug is reading posts here and then taking to Twitter about them? Come on, Doug. Don't be a stalker.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-24-2021),westofyou (11-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?