Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avisail Garcia

Avisail Garcia

Just wonder what you thought of him as a possible replacement for Castellanos in RF? He provides a right handed bat and playing in the Great American Smallpark, he should be able to hit at least 25 home runs. The Reds might be able to sign him to a two or three year contract cheaper than what they were paying Castellanos.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...arciav01.shtml
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Avisail Garcia

I think the writing is on the wall as far as the Reds spending any real money in the FA market this off season. They may sign a decent RP or two, but I think any position players or SP will be dumpster diving reclamation projects. The only way I see them adding any real OF or SP help this off season is via trade.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2021)

Too expensive for McScrooge

7. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2021)

Avisail Garcia

National writers on Reds in past week

the Reds have already demonstrated owner Bob Castellini’s willingness to spend to contend in 2022.

https://theathletic.com/2971774/2021...work-stoppage/

Reds are “aligning (their) payroll with (their) resources,” as general manager Nick Krall put it,

https://theathletic.com/2964729/2021...t-this-winter/

In short nothing happens that cost money, the team will remove all the cushions on the the clubhouse couches and use that to pay for replacements for departing players, every acquisition will be highlighted with a "hoping for a bounce back year" caveat

Buzzkill marketing job by the team, embarrassing and totally amateur hour
    Last edited by westofyou; 11-27-2021 at 12:01 PM.

9. Likes:

DocRed (11-27-2021),REDREAD (11-28-2021),Roy Tucker (11-28-2021),Tom Servo (11-27-2021)

And that is why Castellini needs to sell. If you’re in for the bottom line, there are other businesses to acquire. This is the entertainment business. And if you put on a **** show, paying customers won’t come.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

11. Likes:

DocRed (11-27-2021),M2 (11-27-2021),REDREAD (11-28-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-28-2021)

Mlbtraderumors has him at $36 for 3. They were a little low on Canha at $24 for 2 and pretty much on the mark for Marte at $80 for 4. Just for context.

As much as it pains me, I think cutting salary this year is the right call so long as the kids get a full chance to fully develop at the MLB level. If Moose or Suarez bounce back at all, they need to be passed off like hot potatoes. Build for 2023. You’ll have a large amount of MLB ready talent ready to contribute from the minors if things stay the current course, and the young talent that will play in 2022 will have been that much more established. In 2023 you’ll know way more about which prospects are fungible or not, plus there will be much more to spend in the FA market. It’s not a stupid plan if executed properly, and may actually be exciting in 2022 if some of the prospects take leaps forward al la India and Stephenson last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Build for 2023.
    2023 is the walk year for Castillo and Mahle. I don't think there's a realistic scenario where Gray's around for that season. And even if we assume the best case scenario where Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft are all quality SPs in 2023, what are the odds they're keeping Castillo and/or Mahle until they leave via free agency to be part of what has become a rebuilding project? The build for 2023 plan just rolls over to become a build for 2024 plan, then repeat as necessary in future years. I just don't see how they emerge from a one-year rebuild unless they've done a hyperactive amount of turnover.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

mth123 (11-27-2021),REDREAD (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Just wonder what you thought of him as a possible replacement for Castellanos in RF? He provides a right handed bat and playing in the Great American Smallpark, he should be able to hit at least 25 home runs. The Reds might be able to sign him to a two or three year contract cheaper than what they were paying Castellanos.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...arciav01.shtml
    I'd be alright with it, but unless he'll play for the minimum, it will never happen. I think this year's team is already on the 40 man roster. The only question is who else they'll dump before the season begins. They may pick up a couple arms on minor league deals who crack the bullpen, but that's it IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    2023 is the walk year for Castillo and Mahle. I don't think there's a realistic scenario where Gray's around for that season. And even if we assume the best case scenario where Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft are all quality SPs in 2023, what are the odds they're keeping Castillo and/or Mahle until they leave via free agency to be part of what has become a rebuilding project? The build for 2023 plan just rolls over to become a build for 2024 plan, then repeat as necessary in future years. I just don't see how they emerge from a one-year rebuild unless they've done a hyperactive amount of turnover.
    You gotta extend at least one of those guys. We watch teams wheel and deal every year. Hell in 2019, we practically saw the Reds build a rotation form the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    You gotta extend at least one of those guys. We watch teams wheel and deal every year. Hell in 2019, we practically saw the Reds build a rotation form the ground up.
    They've got to want to extend. If the Reds have moved out of contention mode and are punting salaries, on top of being one of the worst parks in MLB to pitch in, why would Castillo or Mahle sign a team-friendly contract? You have bigger paydays in more attractive locations looming just in front of you. They can probably get to one of those places quickly just by insisting they want to go year-to-year.

At the end of the season, I thought trying to extend these two should be a priority, but I think the fundamentals of AOPWOR (aligning our payroll with our resources) has taken that off the table. Convincing them to commit to a team project is off the table. The team isn't committed to it. Paying them more now to buy away FA years seems like it's off the table too. I don't see the path that leads to those extensions that doesn't involve a Jedi mind trick.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They've got to want to extend. If the Reds have moved out of contention mode and are punting salaries, on top of being one of the worst parks in MLB to pitch in, why would Castillo or Mahle sign a team-friendly contract? You have bigger paydays in more attractive locations looming just in front of you. They can probably get to one of those places quickly just by insisting they want to go year-to-year.

At the end of the season, I thought trying to extend these two should be a priority, but I think the fundamentals of AOPWOR (aligning our payroll with our resources) has taken that off the table. Convincing them to commit to a team project is off the table. The team isn't committed to it. Paying them more now to buy away FA years seems like it's off the table too. I don't see the path that leads to those extensions that doesn't involve a Jedi mind trick.
    I’d like to see the extension, but assume it doesn’t happen. The farm seems as stocked as it has been. Maybe they trade those two, and have assets to do a rotation build up a la 2019-2020.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    National writers on Reds in past week

the Reds have already demonstrated owner Bob Castellini’s willingness to spend to contend in 2022.

https://theathletic.com/2971774/2021...work-stoppage/

Reds are “aligning (their) payroll with (their) resources,” as general manager Nick Krall put it,

https://theathletic.com/2964729/2021...t-this-winter/

In short nothing happens that cost money, the team will remove all the cushions on the the clubhouse couches and use that to pay for replacements for departing players, every acquisition will be highlighted with a "hoping for a bounce back year" caveat

Buzzkill marketing job by the team, embarrassing and totally amateur hour
    Maybe they should charge for pop in the clubhouse vending machines.

I’m as down about the Reds as I’ve ever been in my 58 years as a Reds fan. The front office was almost forced into making moves this past season and even then, it was one of the more half-assed efforts I’ve ever seen. And this off-season they are showing zero motivation to improve the club.

They’ve burned up all the goodwill they had with me. Bah. Show me you care. Because you’re aren’t caring about your fans.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

mth123 (11-28-2021),REDREAD (11-29-2021),Redsfan6272 (11-28-2021),Tommyjohn25 (11-29-2021)

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    ·
    3m
    Source confirms: Free-agent outfielder Avisail Garcia in agreement with Marlins on four-year $53M contract.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-28-2021 at 05:24 PM.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Source confirms: Free-agent outfielder Avisail Garcia in agreement with Marlins on four-year $53M contract.
    And we are wondering if they will even tender Naquin a contract as he's so "expensive".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?