Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling all outfielders

Re: Calling all outfielders

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    The Reds already have two physically fragile outfielders. Why add another one? I hasten to add that I hope
    Naquin, Winker and Frazier enjoy long, injury-free careers. but their histories portend otherwise.
    Going with the assumption they will not be spending much $, that will be your best (and maybe only) chance to add a player that talented

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    The Reds already have two physically fragile outfielders. Why add another one? I hasten to add that I hope
    Naquin, Winker and Frazier enjoy long, injury-free careers. but their histories portend otherwise.
    Former top prospect. Cheap. Very high upside bat. There are risks sure. But also possible rewards. Throw him in the mix.

The Orioles are a really good trade match with the Reds. I'm willing to trade a haul for a.Mullins and Means package. CF and the rotation solidified for multiple years. I'd probably go as far as:

- Senzel
    - Ashcraft
    - Hendrick
    - Gutierrez
    - Dela.Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Another Orioles outfielder to think about, and who might be much less expensive, is Trey Mancini. He's slot nicely into RF.
    I've been thinking about Mancini. There seems to be some buzz about extending him. What would the Reds be willing to pay him on a three year deal, this year and 2 beyond? Who's a good comp? Canha? Garcia?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He'd be a one year rental, his bat is only slightly above average and his defense is pretty bad. I'd offer Vlad and a couple 10 to 20 in the system prospects for him and they'd need to take Shogo to even the money. That would make CF a Senzel and Friedl tandem. Then trade Naquin for pitching help.
    Simpler less risky solution. Go with a Senzel/Friedl platoon in CF. Keep Naquin and trade Vlad to the A's for the last year of Chad Pinder's contract. Or keep Vlad and sign Josh Harrison to platoon with Naquin. Swallow hard, come to terms with fact nobody wants Shogo.

7. Likes:

mth123 (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    The Orioles are a really good trade match with the Reds. I'm willing to trade a haul for a.Mullins and Means package. CF and the rotation solidified for multiple years. I'd probably go as far as:

- Senzel
    - Ashcraft
    - Hendrick
    - Gutierrez
    - Dela.Cruz
    I don't think that package gets you Mullins, let alone both

9. Likes:

mth123 (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You're probably out of the loop on Red prospects, then.

De la Cruz is going to be a top 100 prospect. Ashcraft is a borderline top 100 prospect and a legitimate MOR SP prospect.

That's three guys in the Reds' top 10 and two MLB-ready league average-ish placeholders, both with upside.

IMO, that's too much to pay for Mullins and Means, but I'm of the opinion that the Reds are too far away from contention even with the acquisition of the two Orioles, so that colors my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You're probably out of the loop on Red prospects, then.

De la Cruz is going to be a top 100 prospect. Ashcraft is a borderline top 100 prospect and a legitimate MOR SP prospect.

That's three guys in the Reds' top 10 and two MLB-ready league average-ish placeholders, both with upside.

IMO, that's too much to pay for Mullins and Means, but I'm of the opinion that the Reds are too far away from contention even with the acquisition of the two Orioles, so that colors my perspective.
    Sorry, I'll try and do better

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Simpler less risky solution. Go with a Senzel/Friedl platoon in CF. Keep Naquin and trade Vlad to the A's for the last year of Chad Pinder's contract. Or keep Vlad and sign Josh Harrison to platoon with Naquin. Swallow hard, come to terms with fact nobody wants Shogo.
    I'd deal Vlad for Pinder and hope the move from Oakland to GABP bumps his production. Vlad might do better in Oakland as well. Its a good spot for him.

Of course nobody wants Shogo, but if some team want the Reds to take an unwanted contract off their hands and get young talent in the proces, they may need to take Shogo to even the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    It will probably take Greene or at least Logolo.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd deal Vlad for Pinder and hope the move from Oakland to GABP bumps his production. Vlad might do better in Oakland as well. Its a good spot for him.

Of course nobody wants Shogo, but if some team want the Reds to take an unwanted contract off their hands and get young talent in the proces, they may need to take Shogo to even the money.
    Pinder is .791 against LHP for his career, .884 in 2021. Perfect platoon partner for Naquin.

16. Likes:

mth123 (11-28-2021)

Shouldn't the Reds just put all their hopes in Nick Senzel?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Shouldn't the Reds just put all their hopes in Nick Senzel?
    What could go wrong?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

HokieRed (11-29-2021)

Give me three outfielders who can hit! I'd settle for Winker, Winker, and Winker there. Instead, acquire good pitching somehow. Leave the OF alone. Choose a lineup of 9 (assuming a DH in the NL) from this list of some of our 2021 top OPS (50 or more AB) hitters.

Winker - 949
    Votto -- 938
    India -- 835
    Naquin -- 809
    Stephenson -- 797
    Schrock (OF?) -- 776
    Farmer -- 732
    Suarez -- 713
    Moustakas DH?) -- 653
    Senzel -- 638
    Barrero -- 606

I cheated and added Senzel and Barrero to the list in case Schrock proves to be be less of a hitter than his 50 AB showed last year.

This is kind of like the reverse of who gets non tendered.

My answer is no OF of consequence comes here. The Reds are banking on two things: Senzel getting healthy and a universal DH for Moose/Votto.

Senzel is the team's CF. He just is. I hate it, but he is. IMO he's just average defensively and is made of compressed sugar formed into the shape of a human. Flick his ear and he crumbles to the ground in a heap. Not his fault, he is what he is.

The Reds approach is somewhat lazy and somewhat... emotional. There hasn't been word one about even possibly moving Geno, because he had a great September. They should be propping that up to every team needing a 3B. But he'll be there full time in 2022 if the DH is enacted.

So pretending he did finally figure it out, that's 5/6 RH hitters, a platoon of Naquin/Aquino (1st platoon in history with two last names with a Q in it I bet), Moose/Votto at DH and Senzel in CF.

That's your offense. Please get used to it. The only wild card is a potential Castellanos return. I think he's headed for SF, but it is possible.

Offense wasn't the problem. It's probably still not the problem if Cast is signed elsewhere. The Reds had the 4th most runs scored in the NL and the highest OPS.

The pen was the problem.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?