Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Lockout Off-Season 2021

Re: MLB Lockout Off-Season 2021

Good for the players. This isn’t 1994 when the much wealthier owners can run a media blitz on how awful these greedy players are.

I hope we get a salary floor, some reasons for teams to compete (perhaps larger chunks of revenue sharing for smaller markets teams based on winning), get rid of the amazingly low rookie scale.

And some way to get more Cohen like owners owning MLB teams. It’s an entertainment product that might as well be a way for the ultra wealthy to show off, be better than big Bob trying to run his organization to break even.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-01-2021),Rojo Rijo (12-01-2021),Tom Servo (12-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    And some way to get more Cohen like owners owning MLB teams. ItÂ’s an entertainment product that might as well be a way for the ultra wealthy to show off, be better than big Bob trying to run his organization to break even.
    Buying a baseball team seems like the ultimate vanity purchase, and itÂ’s so strange to me that every single owner seems to run the franchise like a serious part of their business portfolio. You have regional immortality in your grasp if you just blow the budget wide open for a handful of years. How does that not ever entice anyone?

5. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2021)

Buster Olney
    @Buster_ESPN

Some big-money teams haven't been aggressive yet -- LAD, BOS, SF, NYY, etc. -- for various reasons.
    1. Some execs think current prices are insane.
    2. They want to know CBA/CBT rules before committing $.
    3. They can clean up in a buyers' market post-CBA. (Like shopping after Xmas)

And, by the way: There are still about 300 unsigned free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Buying a baseball team seems like the ultimate vanity purchase, and itÂ’s so strange to me that every single owner seems to run the franchise like a serious part of their business portfolio. You have regional immortality in your grasp if you just blow the budget wide open for a handful of years. How does that not ever entice anyone?
    I just don't think those types of owners are going to be drawn to places like Cincinnati. The flashy guys are going to want NY, LA and maybe Miami. They aren't going to get a lot of "buzz" blowing a bunch of money in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Milwaukee.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-01-2021 at 08:09 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2021)

You don't even have to go full blow it wide open either. Just be content to lose 10, 20 or so million in a couple seasons while building a winner and watching your franchise value go up 200M (if not more) in the same time span. Heck, I am sure they could just borrow against the franchise value at a low rate to cover some of those losses.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I just don't think those types of owners are going to be drawn to places like Cincinnati. The flashy guys are going to want NY, LA and maybe Miami. They aren't going to get a lot of "buzz" blowing a bunch of money in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Milwaukee.
    Just seems like the prestige of MLB would be enough to price out the principled investor types, but maybe there’s just less ‘own a baseball team’ rich people than I’m imagining. Running a baseball team at budget feels like a wealthy man taking a beautiful woman into a patek philippe showroom and then trying desperately to haggle the salesmen off the sticker price.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Perhaps but it's not like there are NY, LA and Miami teams cropping up and needing ownership all the time. There are only 30 MLB franchises and not many are selling. And even if they are, they have to be approved by the other owners. A-Rod and J-Lo couldn't even buy the Mets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

REDREAD (12-01-2021),Ron Madden (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Good for the players. This isn’t 1994 when the much wealthier owners can run a media blitz on how awful these greedy players are.

I hope we get a salary floor, some reasons for teams to compete (perhaps larger chunks of revenue sharing for smaller markets teams based on winning), get rid of the amazingly low rookie scale.

And some way to get more Cohen like owners owning MLB teams. It’s an entertainment product that might as well be a way for the ultra wealthy to show off, be better than big Bob trying to run his organization to break even.
    I'd love for Mark Cuban type to buy the team

14. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-01-2021)

Here's the thing.. Teams like Cleveland and Pittsburg are even worse than Cincy. No rational reason to have a payroll in the 40's now, other than maximizing profits and screwing the fans.
    There needs to be some kind of salary floor to stop 1/3 of the league tanking at any given time.
    The owners claim they are "just breaking even", which is nonsense.

Another good idea would be to tie revenue sharing to W-L record, so the owners have a financial incentive to try.. You lose 90+ games, no revenue sharing money for you.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps but it's not like there are NY, LA and Miami teams cropping up and needing ownership all the time. There are only 30 MLB franchises and not many are selling. And even if they are, they have to be approved by the other owners. A-Rod and J-Lo couldn't even buy the Mets.
    Agreed. but if you are looking to be some flamboyant celeb all over the news and instagram or something (which is how I read that), owning the Reds, Brewers or Pirates isn't going to do that for you. Owning the Mets, Dodgers or Marlins might. I just don't think some one with that kind of money would be after a baseball team for a vanity project in those smaller markets unless maybe they are local and from those areas. Those flamboyant types want bright lights, big city and they wouldn't be limited to a baseball team to get it, so for a lot of them, its Mets, Yankees or Dodgers or they do something else to feed their ego. Maybe open a movie studio or something in music. There is also the NFL, NBA, etc.

Its not like there is a huge population of mega rich guys who are after that. If I was mega rich, I'd spend my time enjoying it and wanting to stay as inconspicuois and out of the limelight as possible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Evan Drellich
    @EvanDrellich
    Collective bargaining today in Texas is to begin at 11 a.m. CT, 12 hours before the CBA’s expiration
    9:41 AM · Dec 1, 2021·
    Evan Drellich
    @EvanDrellich
    Good morning from Texas where talks are beginning. Bruce Meyer, Andrew Miller, Zack Britton and Ian Penny (MLBPA general counsel) walked off with Dan Halem, Patrick Houlihan (MLB deputy general counsel) and the Rockies’ Dick Monfort, chair of MLB’s labor committee.
    11:40 AM · Dec 1, 2021·

Chelsea Janes
    @chelsea_janes

Scherzer: "Steve [Cohen] said ‘whatever it takes to win here.’…you don’t hear that from owners too much these days. When you finally hear an owner say he wants to do what it takes to win, that obviously piqued my interest.”

Jeff Passan Retweeted
    Joon Lee 이준엽
    @joonlee

Max Scherzer — who’s heavily involved in the MLBPA — on the CBA negotiations:

“Hearing the tone in negotiations, the lockout seems like that’s a very likely scenario, let’s say that."

In response to the league’s most recent proposal of a 14-team playoff field, the MLBPA has responded with a new proposal of its own, according to ESPN.com’s Jesse Rogers. The union’s latest offer would increase the playoff field to 10 to 12 teams, and also involve a huge overhaul of the current three-division alignment in the AL and NL. Under this new idea, each league would have 15 teams split into two divisions — one with seven teams and one with eight teams — and six AL and NL clubs apiece heading to the postseason.

The MLBPA, of course, would want to see lesser or even no penalties at all in order to create more incentive for teams to spend on roster upgrades.

“When you look at how the 2016 CBA agreement and how that has worked over the past five years, as players, we see major problems in it,” Max Scherzer told The Washington Post’s Chelsea Janes (Twitter links) and other reporters. “Specifically, first and foremost, we see a competition problem and how teams are behaving because of certain rules that are within that. Adjustments have to be made to bring up the competition. As players, that’s critical to us to have a highly competitive league, and when we don’t have that, we have issues.”
    Latest On Collective Bargaining Negotiations
    December 1st, 2021 at 12:46pm CST
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...iations-2.html

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale

Max Scherzer says the players are united in wanting to make sure every team is trying to be competitive: “We’re trying to make the game better, more competitive. We’re absolutely committed to doing that. It’s just not me, it’s everybody. It’s obvious to all of the playe

Turn Off Ads?