Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bob Dole, R.I.P.

Bob Dole, R.I.P.

I wanted to note the passing of former Senator Robert "Bob" Dole on December 5, 2021, age 98. I am not on the politics thread here, and don't want to be. If this post is shut down or moved, so be it. I just thought Senator Dole's life, and death, should be noted. His generation is largely passing from the scene.
    After his severe wounding in combat in 1945, only weeks before the war in Europe ended, Dole spent the rest of his life with a crippled right arm, but he did not let those terrible wounds define him. He had a remarkable political career. His quest for the presidency was unsuccessful, and he may not have been suited to that position. By temperament, he was probably better suited for the Senate, where he served as majority leader. He had a sharp but sometimes acidic wit.
    My two favorite memories of him come from after he retired. The first occurred shortly after his loss to Bill Clinton in the 1996 presidential campaign. President Clinton, in a moment of grace, presented Dole with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in January 1997. When Dole accepted the medal and began to say a few words, he started: "I, Robert J. Dole, do solemnly swear....." as if he was taking the presidential oath. He then stopped and cracked: "Sorry, wrong speech." The audience, including President Clinton, roared with laughter.
    The second memory comes from the funeral of President George H.W. Bush in 2018. Dole and Bush had been rivals for the Republican presidential nomination in 1988. After Bush defeated Dole in the New Hampshire primary, an angry Dole growled to Bush on camera "stop lying about my record." However, at the Bush funeral 30 years later, a frail and crippled Dole was helped by an aide to his feet from a wheelchair, where Dole gave a final salute to his fellow combat veteran.
    R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-07-2021),elrojo (12-07-2021),goreds2 (12-07-2021),Revering4Blue (12-07-2021),Sea Ray (12-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Dole, R.I.P.

I always liked Dole and voted for him in 1996. He was an American hero for his military service he provided for this nation. He was also a great example of not letting disabilities keep him from doing good things. That generation has nearly passed and this nation is all the poorer because of it. Dole was one of those that made it a great generation of people. RIP Bob Dole.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

elrojo (12-07-2021),Revering4Blue (12-07-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Seemed like a decent guy who lived a good long life.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That '96 election feels really quaint now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

8. Likes:

Chip R (12-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (12-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That '96 election feels really quaint now.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Hey, if you know of a simpler way to exchange long protein strands, we're listening!

11. Likes:

Chip R (12-08-2021)

Former Republican Senator Bob Dole, who passed away this week at the age of 98, included in his farewell letter a playful jab at the Democratic Party.

"As I make the final walk on my life’s journey, I do so without fear. Because I know that I will, again, not be walking alone," Dole said in a farewell letter that was read by his daughter Robin at his funeral in Washington, D.C. on Friday. "I know that God will be walking with me," the late senator wrote. "I also confess that I’m a bit curious to learn and find if I am correct in thinking that heaven will look a lot like Kansas and to see, like others who have gone before me, if I will still be able to vote in Chicago." Dole was referencing the many reports of dead people voting in large cities including Chicago which is often associated with the Democratic Party in memes and jokes.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bob...d-vote-chicago
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?