Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2021 Tornado Outbreak

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

December 2021 Tornado Outbreak

Wow! Lots of tornadoes last night. Unfortunately, there appear to have been a lot of fatalities as well.

Deadly tornado rips through several states

A tornado and deadly storm system ripped through Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and Illinois on Friday night — destroying buildings, leaving dozens of others trapped inside buildings, and potentially killing dozens.

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said the death toll is expected to rise between 50 and 70 deaths in the wake of the tornadoes and storms that ripped through the Midwest.

“We have deaths in multiple counties,” he said during a live press conference Saturday morning.

“This is one of the toughest nights in Kentucky’s history… We are here for you. We love you. We are praying for you.”

In Tennessee, two storm-related fatalities were reported in Lake County in the state’s northwestern corner, said Dean Flener, spokesman for the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: December 2021 Tornado Outbreak

A tragedy just outside of St. Louis:

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...7590b2c23.html

Multiple fatalities at the site of a collapsed Amazon warehouse outside Edwardsville, authorities say
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I saw where they believe one of the tornadoes may have been on the ground for ~200 miles.

Absolutely astonishing.

When things like this happen I am always reminded of how truly fortunate we were here in the Dayton area to only have 2 fatalities from the Memorial Day 2019 outbreak. That could have, and probably should have, been far worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    OMG, so sad.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I got up and saw our grill blown over outside and was griping about that until I went online and saw this.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-14-2021),Revering4Blue (12-13-2021),Roy Tucker (12-13-2021)

Candle factory employees told they’d be fired if they left work early: report

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...-early-report/

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I got up and saw our grill blown over outside and was griping about that until I went online and saw this.
    Yeah, my wife and I were talking about this. For a tornado like that, there isn’t much you can do except find the deepest shelter you can and hunker down.

I remember the day of the 1974 Xenia tornado. I was a student up at OSU and the sky was an unnatural yellow color. And in 1999, an F4 tornado hit Blue Ash about 2 miles from our house. Had the kids and wife and dog in the basement at 4 am for that.

Thanks for the donation links.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-16-2021),goreds2 (12-13-2021),Revering4Blue (12-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Candle factory employees told they’d be fired if they left work early: report

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...-early-report/
    I saw that last night. They are of course denying it but my gut is telling me it’s 100% true. I’d imagine they’ll be paying out some settlements and rightfully so.

So tragic.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (12-14-2021),Revering4Blue (12-14-2021)

Food truck owner parks in middle of tornado wreckage, gives free meals to tornado first responders, victims

https://www.foxnews.com/us/food-truc...onders-victims

MAYFIELD, Ky. – A restaurant owner parked her food truck in the middle of tornado wreckage to hand out free hot meals to first responders, victims and anyone else in need in Mayfield, Kentucky.

"What we're doing is a really small part – I don't feel like we're doing near as much as some of these men and women that are in the trenches and physically out there finding people, helping people relocate," Infinity Farms owner Amber Hayes told Fox News. "For us, this is our gift," she told Fox News. "If we can share it with others, that's what we're going to do."

"It's turned from a one-day trip into a several week trip," she continued. "We'll be here for a few weeks to try to help get through."

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2021),cumberlandreds (12-16-2021),dubc47834 (12-16-2021),Revering4Blue (12-16-2021)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Food truck owner parks in middle of tornado wreckage, gives free meals to tornado first responders, victims

https://www.foxnews.com/us/food-truc...onders-victims
    There are still good people in the world. This is awesome!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

18. Likes:

goreds2 (12-16-2021),Revering4Blue (12-16-2021),WrongVerb (12-16-2021)

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-disp...010215086.html

Amazon is such a disgrace. They’re blaming the “third party dispatcher” but there’s no way on earth that person ordered a driver to keep delivering packages during a tornado without fearing for their own job as well. I mean this is the same company who uses algorithms to fire drivers when things like flat tires and/or other technical difficulties keep them from delivering packages on time.

I hope Jeff Bezos is forced to pay out millions and millions. The man was more concerned about welcoming his spacecraft buddies back to earth than he was about his own workers who died in a huge tornado. What an awful human being.

Robert Daniel's end of watch: Mayfield jailer's tornado heroism honored at funeral

As he was laid to rest Saturday, though, they called him a hero — Robert Daniel, witnesses say, chose the lives of people in the custody of the Graves County Jail last weekend over his own as the deadliest tornado in the state’s history laid waste to Mayfield, the town he called home.

“You know it’s true whenever you hear it from the inmates,” said George Workman, Graves County jailer. “They said that he was taking care of them, telling them to get to the wall, which is the safe place. They were headed that way, and the last that they saw of him. He was pushing the last one of them in.”
    https://news.yahoo.com/robert-daniel...170043941.html

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2021),Revering4Blue (12-21-2021),The Operator (12-19-2021)

Basketball player raises $170,000 for hometown of Mayfield, Kentucky after deadly tornadoes

Wisconsin basketball player Chris Vogt has raised over $170,000 (£128,000) for his Kentucky hometown after it was hit by an outbreak of deadly tornadoes last week.

Vogt, who was born in Mayfield, said he launched a fundraiser on GoFundMe for victims of the tornado immediately after his hometown was hit. The money raised will be donated to the Red Cross and emergency resource offices in Graves County and Mayfield High School, reported CNN.

Vogt has also visited Mayfield to help with clean-up effort.

“It’s one thing to raise money and try to help that way, but to actually be down here and be boots on the ground, shake people’s hands, see people I haven’t seen in a long time, it just feels like I’m able to help a little bit more,” he told CNN.
    https://news.yahoo.com/basketball-pl...144442115.html

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-21-2021),WrongVerb (12-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?