Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Part III: Playoffpalooza and the Transfer Portal

Re: 2021 College Football Part III: Playoffpalooza and the Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I find it hard to draw any correlation between what OSU did against Utah and how they would have looked in the playoff. Bowl games outside of the playoff are hard to draw much off of.

Stetson had to make plays in two games, both against Bama, one of those games where Bama offensively was limited. Other than those two games he had to make very few plays all season long.

What would happen if he were forced to make plays to keep up the scoring?

Its one of those great what if's in College football. What if a team forced Stetson to beat them in the playoff?
    Would he have to make plays, or would they just run it on every play and score every time? He's better than McNamara, and his weapons are better. I think they would have run all over OSU, and when they decided to pass, Bowers would have given OSU fits. Georgia finished 3rd in yards per play this year in college football. And they did that most of the year without their top WR. People put most of the focus on the Georgia defense because of how they were limiting scoring at a historic rate, but the offense was actually great.

I get not wanting to draw too many conclusions from the Bowl game, but it looked exactly like the Michigan game, so it's not like it was out of character.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-12-2022),Revering4Blue (01-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Best in the last few years but definitely not one of the best defenses ever...They played one opponent with a legit QB and offensive threat with an actual pulse all year - Alabama. The 2nd best offense they played was probably Tennessee and they gave up almost 400 yds.

They were demolished by a good (but not great) Bama offense the first time around with their starting set of WRs
    Suffice to say, we disagree about most of this.

It's too bad we can't watch UGA play OSU or another offense you guys consider dominant.

SEC's gap with the rest of college football keeps growing. Can anyone stop it?

You can trace the SEC’s current dominance as a football conference to 2006, when Urban Meyer’s underdog Florida team blitzed Ohio State, 41-14, displaying superior speed, physicality and offensive innovation. That set the table for Nick Saban’s historic run at Alabama, which continues to this day after six national championships.

But at no point has the competitive gap looked bigger at the top, where only a small handful of programs outside the SEC are equipped to win the national championship in terms of proximity to talent, ability to recruit nationally and institutional willingness to throw almost unlimited funds at their football product.

“I think (schools in other conferences) get it, it’s just hard to convince the president or the athletic director or the boosters what needs to be done,” said Jim Donnan, who coached Georgia from 1996-2000 and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2009.
    It all starts here:

With most of the recruiting done for the incoming 2022 class, SEC teams occupy 12 of the top 25 spots in the 247 Sports composite rankings. That includes non-marquee teams like Kentucky (No. 11) and Missouri (No. 12), while the top end of the SEC continues to gorge on elite talent. This year alone, Texas A&M, Alabama and Georgia have signed a combined 14 players rated as five-star prospects. The entire Big Ten has signed four.
    Even a mention of Tennessee!

"It comes back to TV and eyeballs," said Jackie Sherrill, the former coach at Pittsburgh, Texas A&M and Mississippi State. "There's more eyeballs on Georgia, Alabama, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Florida than there is on USC, UCLA or Stanford. And that's never going to change."
    https://sports.yahoo.com/secs-gap-re...112207428.html

"So Fla Red"

Looks like only OSU, Clemson and potentially USC can stop the Georgia + Bama + LSU? train the next few years. Kelly gave up at ND and looks like Harbaugh may do the same at Michigan. I'll reserve judgment on perennial 8-4 money bags Texas A&M when they actually appear in a conference final.

OSU consistently has the highest CFB ratings but they often do it on their own carrying the B1G ten. You could argue we are essentially down to a regional sport + Central Ohio and maybe Southern California.

NIL could be the wildcard, LSU's top WR (Boutte) was in the portal and likely Bama bound. But a Baton Rouge ambulance chasing law firm actually issued a press release announcing he is staying and an NIL deal. Not the school, not the player, but an ambulance chaser lawyer...

https://www.getgordon.com/lsu-footba...rdon-mckernan/

This is nuts. Imagine an NFL or MLB player being able to opt out each and every year and go directly to their rival or the highest bidder each offseason

"So Fla Red"

This would be cool if the SEC would reorganize this way.

East
    + Auburn and Alabama
    - Missouri

GA, UF, Bama, Tenn, Auburn, South Carolina, UK and Vandy

West
    + Texas and Oklahoma
    + Missouri
    - Auburn and Alabama

LSU, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Mississippi x2, Arkansas and Missouri

This also solves the imbalance of the Tenn/Bama and GA/Auburn crossovers which has served to benefit Alabama for 15 years. LSU/Florida, the other pro-Bama protected game, would need to be eliminated.

Looks like only OSU, Clemson and potentially USC can stop the Georgia + Bama + LSU? train the next few years. Kelly gave up at ND and looks like Harbaugh may do the same at Michigan. I'll reserve judgment on perennial 8-4 money bags Texas A&M when they actually appear in a conference final.

OSU consistently has the highest CFB ratings but they often do it on their own carrying the B1G ten. You could argue we are essentially down to a regional sport + Central Ohio and maybe Southern California.

NIL could be the wildcard, LSU's top WR (Boutte) was in the portal and likely Bama bound. But a Baton Rouge ambulance chasing law firm actually issued a press release announcing he is staying and an NIL deal. Not the school, not the player, but an ambulance chaser lawyer...

This is nuts. Imagine an NFL or MLB player being able to opt out each and every year and go directly to their rival or the highest bidder each offseason
    I think a player can only transfer once without sitting out a yr

"So Fla Red"

I think you are right, but wouldn't be surprised if someone challenges that rule.

The Boutte situation at LSU is an example of the best offensive player holding a current school hostage with threat of going to the top rival after the season and recruiting periods end.

I'm likin' this:

However, the NCAA’s new constitution pushes major college athletics toward a near future when individuals will be held more accountable than teams for infractions and postseason bans are rarely implemented as penalties.

The constitution includes amended language to “ensure to the greatest extent possible that penalties imposed for infractions do not punish programs or student-athletes innocent of the infraction(s).”
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-cons...204021977.html

11. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-21-2022),Revering4Blue (01-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think a player can only transfer once without sitting out a yr
    This is true, but they can still grad transfer and not sit out a year after using their one-time transfer while being an undergrad.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Most of the dirty stuff is now in the light. I think you may see a situation where the IRS gets involved and not the NCAA.

Correction. NIL will be the the wildcard.

The number one recruit in the country just went to Jackson State for crying out loud!

I don’t see how the powers that currently be (Bama, UGA, OSU, etc) can navigate through this without their talent and power being diluted.

It’s a whole new world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don’t see how the powers that currently be (Bama, UGA, OSU, etc) can navigate through this without their talent and power being diluted.
    In basketball, we're watching multiple quality mid-major stars transfer to more powerful programs in order to both win championships and to showcase their ability to work within a system, thereby improving their chances at being drafted (and being drafted higher).

I'm guessing the same will apply to football programs as well.

If I'm a mid-major god on the gridiron, I may decide to play my last season at an Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State, assuming they have room. It's a gamble, but a relatively small one. And the payoff is massive.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    In basketball, we're watching multiple quality mid-major stars transfer to more powerful programs in order to both win championships and to showcase their ability to work within a system, thereby improving their chances at being drafted (and being drafted higher).

If I'm a mid-major god on the gridiron, I may decide to play my last season at an Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State, assuming they have room. It's a gamble, but a relatively small one. And the payoff is massive.
    It's already happening. My alma mater is an FCS team and they have had several star players transfer over the past few years to P5 programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2021 College Football Part III: Playoffpalooza and the Transfer Portal

https://thespun.com/sec/auburn-tiger...re-in-question

Looks like Auburn may be looking for a new coach. Having an affair with an assistant he brought over from Boise State.
    Last edited by WVRed; 02-04-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Imagine the ramifications of this in the past - Steph Curry (Davidson), Ja Morant (Murray St), Damian Lillard (Weber St.), Pascal Siakim (New Mexico St), CJ McCollum (Lehigh), Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St), and Paul George (Fresno St) are all players from smaller schools who played more than 1 year and couldve transferred to a power 5 school for their remaining year(s).

Turn Off Ads?