Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 2021 College Football Part III: Playoffpalooza and the Transfer Portal

Re: 2021 College Football Part III: Playoffpalooza and the Transfer Portal

Iamaleava noted that he wants to bring five-star wide receiver Carnell Tate and four-star wide receiver Kyler Kasper to Tennessee.

“I’ve built a core relationship with those two,” said Iamaleava. “We talked about top schools and we were looking at it and Tennessee’s in their top schools. We’ll see what kind of pull I have. Those are some guys to get.”

Tate, 6-foot-2/185 lbs from Chicago (he plays high school football at IMG Academy in Florida), is rated by 247Sports as the No. 2 wide receiver in the country.

Kasper, 6-foot-5/195 lbs from Gilbert, AZ, is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 18 wide receiver in the country.
    https://atozsports.com/nashville/the...-to-tennessee/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok so this is where im the most interested in NIL deals for incoming players. The word is that Iamaleava got 8 million to commit to UT. Here are my questions:

When does he get the money? I feel like it wouldn't be until after he's signed something, correct? Because right now it's just a commitment.
    Players can now transfer 1 time without penalty/sit for a year. What keeps a kid like this from taking the deal, playing 1 year at UT, then transferring to another big school for a second deal?

I'm not sure what the actual amount is, just that 8 million is the # being floated around. I would expect there would have to be some kind of contingencies in place by the Tennessee ADept, boosters etc. to prevent giving a player a whopper of a deal only for them to bail after one year.

Anyone have any insight into the possibilities for this very new process?

Edit - I forgot about Quinn Ewers, the QB that went from Ohio State to Texas, but NIL wasnt in place when he went to Ohio State
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 03-21-2022 at 06:59 PM.

4. Likes:

WVRed (03-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Ok so this is where im the most interested in NIL deals for incoming players. The word is that Iamaleava got 8 million to commit to UT. Here are my questions:

When does he get the money? I feel like it wouldn't be until after he's signed something, correct? Because right now it's just a commitment.
    Players can now transfer 1 time without penalty/sit for a year. What keeps a kid like this from taking the deal, playing 1 year at UT, then transferring to another big school for a second deal?

I'm not sure what the actual amount is, just that 8 million is the # being floated around. I would expect there would have to be some kind of contingencies in place by the Tennessee ADept, boosters etc. to prevent giving a player a whopper of a deal only for them to bail after one year.

Edit - I forgot about Quinn Ewers, the QB that went from Ohio State to Texas, but NIL wasnt in place when he went to Ohio State
    Plus he’s a California kid who was a heavy lean to Oregon before going to Knoxville and committing to the Vols.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (03-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

Word is that the money is tied to him being in Knoxville (but not playing for the Vols). It basically sets up his obligation in such a way that he couldn't fulfill it if he was say playing for Oregon. I think the money comes in gradually as in $2mill/yr

8. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (03-22-2022)

The finals are HERE.

For the most annoying college football fanbase in the universe.

Tennessee Fans against Ohio State Fans.

VOTING STARTS NOW
    https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/s...5Es2_&ref_url=

To think I've attended both these schools...

Tennessee's already made it this far. Might as well come in 1st in something. Vote Tennessee!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ooh, that top 4. SO interesting. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Ooh, that top 4. SO interesting. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Wash, rinse repeat......

Kentucky 18th. How about that. They only have 5 other SEC teams ahead of them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bringing in JT Daniels should give WVU a chance at a winning season with a little breathing room (if he can stay on the field). The Big12 is not projected to be especially strong this season, and we have Pitt and Va. Tech in the non con.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Bringing in JT Daniels should give WVU a chance at a winning season with a little breathing room (if he can stay on the field). The Big12 is not projected to be especially strong this season, and we have Pitt and Va. Tech in the non con.
    I think this is Neal Browns last season.

WVU has been hit hard by the transfer portal. It’s one thing when it’s seniors leaving for an extra year of eligibility or freshmen or sophomores realizing they aren’t moving up the depth chart but WVU has lost key contributors (Winston Wright Jr and Akheem Mesidor).

There’s little opportunity for NIL in West Virginia compared to other places. Especially when you have situations like this:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/...-nil-transfer/

It’s not just football either. Basketball felt the effects of it this year as well. Huggins has a HOF career to hold onto and I don’t think it will be for much longer. Brown doesn’t and fans are getting irritated.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think this is Neal Browns last season.

WVU has been hit hard by the transfer portal. It’s one thing when it’s seniors leaving for an extra year of eligibility or freshmen or sophomores realizing they aren’t moving up the depth chart but WVU has lost key contributors (Winston Wright Jr and Akheem Mesidor).

There’s little opportunity for NIL in West Virginia compared to other places. Especially when you have situations like this:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/...-nil-transfer/

It’s not just football either. Basketball felt the effects of it this year as well. Huggins has a HOF career to hold onto and I don’t think it will be for much longer. Brown doesn’t and fans are getting irritated.
    eh, I think WVU is more in line with the norm right now than an outlier. There are P5 all conference guys with multiple years left that are bouncing across the country.....in most programs. Maybe living in WV, you hear the sky is falling more often related to WVU......but as someone that lives outside WV, it sadly looks somewhat normal to me. I agree there are not an abundance of NIL deals in WV...,..but again I think that is more the norm. Are there major NIL deals being offered in Starkville, MS? Ames, Iowa? Lubbock, Texas? I personally view it as WVU and most other schools just need to weather the storm as there will have to be more regulation put around NIL in the near future, and I think a lot of these obvious pay for play deals over the last 24 months will dry up because there is no real financial return on most of these deals.

I personally am not the biggest Neal Brown fan and he clearly is in a pivotal season in which he is banking on Harrell and Daniels to get the offense rolling. I love Huggins, but I am one more poor season away from thinking he needs to retire and enjoy life as I do not view his actions over the last two years optimal in the new environment. The chatter is the roster he is constructing this year is a return to the style he prefers.....gritty defense first with constant pressure on the ball. Will it work? I am skeptical, but he deserves a chance to do it his way.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    eh, I think WVU is more in line with the norm right now than an outlier. There are P5 all conference guys with multiple years left that are bouncing across the country.....in most programs. Maybe living in WV, you hear the sky is falling more often related to WVU......but as someone that lives outside WV, it sadly looks somewhat normal to me. I agree there are not an abundance of NIL deals in WV...,..but again I think that is more the norm. Are there major NIL deals being offered in Starkville, MS? Ames, Iowa? Lubbock, Texas? I personally view it as WVU and most other schools just need to weather the storm as there will have to be more regulation put around NIL in the near future, and I think a lot of these obvious pay for play deals over the last 24 months will dry up because there is no real financial return on most of these deals.

I personally am not the biggest Neal Brown fan and he clearly is in a pivotal season in which he is banking on Harrell and Daniels to get the offense rolling. I love Huggins, but I am one more poor season away from thinking he needs to retire and enjoy life as I do not view his actions over the last two years optimal in the new environment. The chatter is the roster he is constructing this year is a return to the style he prefers.....gritty defense first with constant pressure on the ball. Will it work? I am skeptical, but he deserves a chance to do it his way.
    Living in WV, the older fans are generally more apathetic to the state of college sports. They see it as the kids are getting a free ride education and should be thankful for that. Neal Brown hasn’t been as vocal about it outside of Mesidor leaving (saying he felt unsafe in Morgantown but left for Miami, makes sense) but Huggins press conferences complaining about NIL and the transfer portal the fans are eating it up.

It’s part of the WVU us against the world mentality. It was pretty obvious before how fans viewed the university but since NIL and the portal most fans have hardened into that stance even more. NIL has just really exposed that divide with West Virginia being one of the poorest states in the nation and not having the same opportunities for players to market themselves.

As far as WVU being the norm, I’m a UK fan in football and while we’ve lost some players who weren’t getting playing time we have not lost any significant contributors or returning players. That’s the difference. Jarrett Doege leaving made sense because he knew WVU was going in a different direction. Mesidor leaving should NOT happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Mesidor leaving should NOT happen.
    I am sure you are aware of what went on there? He was another Jahmile Addae special.....once a WVU favorite alum. He returned to coach the secondary during Browns first year, and supposedly they did not get along great.....then he left for Georgia and recruited Tykee Smith.....now he is in Miami and recruited Daryl Porter and Mesidor. Smith and Mesidor were both First Team All Conference guys, and Porter was on track to be. Addae is a POS......one should not tamper/recruit from the school they played for as a player.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?