Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 997

Thread: Covid-19 Part XVI

  1. #1
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    21,624

    Covid-19 Part XVI

    If you're not into getting sick, get vaccinated. Get boosted. Check out these numbers:

    Singapore says 98.7% of those who tested positive for Covid over the last four weeks are either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms. At the hospitals, patients needing oxygen are half of last month’s levels, while hospitalizations are at the lowest level since Sept. 17.

    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/singapor...ases-1.1692084

    98.7% is about as close to 100 as you'll ever get.

    Get the vax and live your life normally

  2. Likes:

    GAC (12-29-2021),goreds2 (12-15-2021)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Can't even imagine what it does to a kid to know you carried home the disease that killed your dad. That school better hope the family isn't litigious.
    There is no way to know if he caught it from his son, or if he gave it to his son, or if he caught it anywhere else. The mom could have given it to both of them, or they could have caught it at Kroger.

    At the end of the day, we all have to assume we’re going to catch it at some point, so being vaccinated is the best protection. But unfortunately, even when people see other people drop dead around them, it isn’t enough to convince them.

  5. #3
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    8,013

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There is no way to know if he caught it from his son, or if he gave it to his son, or if he caught it anywhere else. The mom could have given it to both of them, or they could have caught it at Kroger.

    At the end of the day, we all have to assume we’re going to catch it at some point, so being vaccinated is the best protection. But unfortunately, even when people see other people drop dead around them, it isn’t enough to convince them.
    seems pretty causal if the kid brought it home and then the dad got sick, i'm not a contract tracer but sometimes common sense seems like enough there
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  6. #4
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    16,411

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If you're not into getting sick, get vaccinated. Get boosted. Check out these numbers:




    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/singapor...ases-1.1692084

    98.7% is about as close to 100 as you'll ever get.

    Get the vax and live your life normally
    Why would you want to make-believe this is a "normal" time?
    "It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying & reassuring." - Carl Sagan

  7. #5
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    seems pretty causal if the kid brought it home and then the dad got sick, i'm not a contract tracer but sometimes common sense seems like enough there
    Sure, but there’s a giant leap to actually proving a case and suing somebody. There are now nearly 10,000 new cases a day in Ohio, and they could’ve all gone to a movie together for all we know, and caught it there, and since someone can be asymptomatic, in hindsight there’s no way to know who actually caught it first. Lastly, since the guy died, I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he was unvaccinated. No one is going to be suing anyone.

    It’s sad, and I feel for the kid who lost his dad, but for some reason people will never learn.

  8. #6
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    21,624

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he was unvaccinated. No one is going to be suing anyone.
    That's the story. Not how he got it. He was bound to get it somehow, sometime...why didn't he get vaccinated to protect himself?

  9. #7
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    16,411

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    South Africa Omicron study finds drop in vaccine protection, fewer hospitalized

    In some of the first real-world findings on Omicron's impact in South Africa, researchers found a drop in Pfizer vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization, but also a drop in hospitalizations, another early hint that infections might be less severe.

    However, World Health Organization (WHO) officials today aired worries that countries are dismissing the Omicron (B.1.1.529) variant as mild and are relying too much on vaccines to blunt expected surges.
    Totally normal.

    The world should already know not to underestimate SARS-CoV-2, Tedros said. "Even if Omicron does cause less severe disease, the sheer number of cases could once again overwhelm unprepared health systems."

    WHO officials also said vaccines alone won't get countries out of the crisis.

    Mike Ryan, MD, who leads the WHO's health emergencies program, said, "This is a highly transmissible virus. It's hard to stop it—but you can take the heat out of the virus by doing the simple things." He urged people to wear masks, ensure good ventilation, and wash their hands. And he urged governments to enact layered measures that support communities and to get health systems ready.
    Just go about your business and pretend nothing is wrong.
    "It is better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying & reassuring." - Carl Sagan

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Papist
    Posts
    4,643

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    In Sedgwick County, KS, the County Health Department has given 269,137 total vaccine doses. They call 120,895 "fully vaccinated", which I take to mean one J&J does or two Pfizer/Moderna doses. They have administered 24,368 3rd doses or boosters, so about 20% of people who are fully vaccinated have now received boosters.

    Anyone know what the data looks like nationally on the % of fully vaccinated who have received a booster?

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Papist
    Posts
    4,643

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    The UK reported 78,610 new cases today. On a population-adjusted basis, that's the equivalent of the US reporting 383,628 cases in a day. The highest case number in a single day for the US during the pandemic was January 8 of this year, when 306,314 new cases were reported. That's the only day the US has reported over 281k cases (so far).

    The wildest global chart might be Vietnam's, where there were virtually no reported cases or deaths until May of this year.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 12-15-2021 at 03:15 PM.

  12. #10
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    16,661

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There is no way to know if he caught it from his son, or if he gave it to his son, or if he caught it anywhere else. The mom could have given it to both of them, or they could have caught it at Kroger.

    At the end of the day, we all have to assume we’re going to catch it at some point, so being vaccinated is the best protection. But unfortunately, even when people see other people drop dead around them, it isn’t enough to convince them.
    Unfortunately, we do not have Kroger in NE OH - just Giant Eagle and Heinen's - barf!

    On a serious note, sure, no way to know how the dad caught it. Frankly, knowing how this school is operating, and how these parents have been pushing for the school to treat COVID like it does not exist, I would be shocked if it did not come from the kids bringing it home from school. There were 35 kids that tested positive for COVID last week alone. And its not even a big school.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  13. #11
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Unfortunately, we do not have Kroger in NE OH - just Giant Eagle and Heinen's - barf!

    On a serious note, sure, no way to know how the dad caught it. Frankly, knowing how this school is operating, and how these parents have been pushing for the school to treat COVID like it does not exist, I would be shocked if it did not come from the kids bringing it home from school. There were 35 kids that tested positive for COVID last week alone. And its not even a big school.
    Sure, but the parents must be OK with it or else they would yank their kids out of the school. Isn’t it a private school? And unless is a real statistical anomaly, this guy died because he was unvaccinated, not because the kids weren’t wearing masks in school. This didn’t need to happen.

  14. #12
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,801

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There is no way to know if he caught it from his son, or if he gave it to his son, or if he caught it anywhere else. The mom could have given it to both of them, or they could have caught it at Kroger.

    At the end of the day, we all have to assume we’re going to catch it at some point, so being vaccinated is the best protection. But unfortunately, even when people see other people drop dead around them, it isn’t enough to convince them.
    Yeah - now what I’m going to say is anecdotal so I’m curious to what others have seen…

    But for a country that has had 50M cases and 800k deaths I’m not seeing a whole lot of finger-pointing as in “you gave me COVID how dare you!” And that goes for both people and venues. Everyone I know positive (both serious and not) has just accepted that they got it and hasn’t really “blamed” anyone/thing in particular.

  15. #13
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    16,661

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Sure, but the parents must be OK with it or else they would yank their kids out of the school. Isn’t it a private school? And unless is a real statistical anomaly, this guy died because he was unvaccinated, not because the kids weren’t wearing masks in school. This didn’t need to happen.
    Yep, I would assume you are correct on all of this. However, I think not wearing masks didn't help.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  16. #14
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah - now what I’m going to say is anecdotal so I’m curious to what others have seen…

    But for a country that has had 50M cases and 800k deaths I’m not seeing a whole lot of finger-pointing as in “you gave me COVID how dare you!” And that goes for both people and venues. Everyone I know positive (both serious and not) has just accepted that they got it and hasn’t really “blamed” anyone/thing in particular.
    Yeah, I doubt anybody would do that because it’s a nonstarter. Unless it was a unique circumstance, such as being in the hospital for four weeks for a non-Covid reason, and the evidence was clear that you caught it in the hospital, then what can anybody say? I go to packed places all the time where no one is wearing a mask, and if I was unvaccinated and got terribly sick, I wouldn’t be accusing anybody either.

  17. #15
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    21,624

    Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yep, I would assume you are correct on all of this. However, I think not wearing masks didn't help.
    The world is not going to mask up forever to protect someone who won't get vaccinated. That's insane. He was bound to get C19 somewhere. It' was only a matter of time


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator