Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XVI

Re: Covid-19 Part XVI

I'm sensing a bit of a spike in panic and fear after things had been on a relatively even keel for a while. Is it just the corner of social media that I've managed to inhabit or are you all noticing it as well? Because I know nothing I experience in my real life (unless I'm traveling) reflects that realities of most ciites.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The world is not going to mask up forever to protect someone who won't get vaccinated. That's insane. He was bound to get C19 somewhere. It' was only a matter of time
    And yet this school pretty much doesn't mask up at all and is currently overflowing with COVID cases and is shutting down a week early for Christmas break. Oh well, this kid will grow up without a dad.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yeah - now what I’m going to say is anecdotal so I’m curious to what others have seen…

But for a country that has had 50M cases and 800k deaths I’m not seeing a whole lot of finger-pointing as in “you gave me COVID how dare you!” And that goes for both people and venues. Everyone I know positive (both serious and not) has just accepted that they got it and hasn’t really “blamed” anyone/thing in particular.
    I hear what you're saying but the nursing home deaths early on is an exception. Janice Dean, weather gal on Fox has been the most vocal. She lost both of her husband's parents to this due to C19 positive patients being purposely put in the nursing home and she's been quite public about it

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And yet this school pretty much doesn't mask up at all and is currently overflowing with COVID cases and is shutting down a week early for Christmas break. Oh well, this kid will grow up without a dad.
    He's growing up without a Dad 'cause his Dad made a really bad choice on vaccination. If you choose not to get vaccinated, don't blame someone else for not going to the trouble of wearing a mask

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm sensing a bit of a spike in panic and fear after things had been on a relatively even keel for a while. Is it just the corner of social media that I've managed to inhabit or are you all noticing it as well? Because I know nothing I experience in my real life (unless I'm traveling) reflects that realities of most ciites.
    I've sensed panic in the media but not in the people I see every day

I'm sure social media and the media in general is part of it.

I think a bigger part of it, is everyone, with their varying beliefs about covid and the vaccines, are all slowly coming to the same conclusion:

It's something we're going to have to live with for a very long time.

- The covid deniers, anti-vaxxers, etc, are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that it's real and it's not going away.
    - Those who put their faith in the vaccine to wrap this thing up are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that although vaccines mitigate the symptoms for most people, it's not a magic bullet and you can still totally get sick and die from it despite being fully vaccinated.
    - Then there are those who are poor-health/old/immune-compromised. They are like sitting ducks for covid. The fatter, the better. That has to make many Americans nervous.
    - Then there is the general unknown of "what's coming next" in regard to variants.
    - And of course there is the fatigue of dealing with this for, believe it or not, coming up on 2 years now.

Remember when the flu was the worst thing you had to worry about? Or maybe Malaria if travelling abroad?

We are living in a time where there seems to be cycles of fear and guilt, over and over again. Or you tune it all out and YOLO or whatever. Either way, ****'s ****ed up and pretending things are anywhere close to "normal" is delusional. Imagine your reaction pre-2020 if someone sneezed without covering their face in a tight closed-room setting, and imagine your reaction to something like that now.

The whole world is B-A-N-A-N-A-S at this point.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-16-2021),westofyou (12-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Sure, but there’s a giant leap to actually proving a case and suing somebody. There are now nearly 10,000 new cases a day in Ohio, and they could’ve all gone to a movie together for all we know, and caught it there, and since someone can be asymptomatic, in hindsight there’s no way to know who actually caught it first. Lastly, since the guy died, I think it’s a foregone conclusion that he was unvaccinated. No one is going to be suing anyone.

It’s sad, and I feel for the kid who lost his dad, but for some reason people will never learn.
    In a civil case, you only have to prove that it’s likely that the defendant caused the result, you don’t have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. In this case, it’s pretty clear that the most likely cause of the father getting Covid is from the son, who got it at school.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In a civil case, you only have to prove that it’s likely that the defendant caused the result, you don’t have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. In this case, it’s pretty clear that the most likely cause of the father getting Covid is from the son, who got it at school.
    Oh please, it isn't clear at all. You really think a guy who wouldn't get a vaccine is taking reasonable precautions everywhere else? He could have caught it anywhere, and so could the kid. This would be thrown out before it got started.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Those who put their faith in the vaccine to wrap this thing up are having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that although vaccines mitigate the symptoms for most people, it's not a magic bullet and you can still totally get sick and die from it despite being fully vaccinated.
    I could, but the chances are 1 in 100,000, because I wasn't stupid and I got the damn shot. I am much more likely to die from food poisoning, second hand smoke, or a car crash. Hell, there is a greater chance of me choking to death, but I still eat instead of cowering in fear in the corner sipping a protein shake.

That's one prong of the anlaysis. You must have a legal duty, you must breach that duty, you must cause claimed injury/damage as a matter of fact, you must cause the claimed injury/damage as a matter of law, and there must be actual damage. Was the main cause of death the maskless kids at the school or the unvaccinated dad? Did the school have a duty to the dad? Did they breach any duty to the dad?

Probably not a winner.

Oh please, it isn't clear at all. You really think a guy who wouldn't get a vaccine is taking reasonable precautions everywhere else? He could have caught it anywhere, and so could the kid. This would be thrown out before it got started.
    No way it gets thrown out before it gets started, it’s rather easy to sue someone.

You are making a lot of assumptions about everything. Based on what we do know, the most likely cause is the kid getting it from school and giving it to the father. Maybe they can find evidence that counters this, but it will take work. If the family wanted to sue the school, they would have a decent case. But I doubt they want to.

I could, but the chances are 1 in 100,000, because I wasn't stupid and I got the damn shot. I am much more likely to die from food poisoning, second hand smoke, or a car crash. Hell, there is a greater chance of me choking to death, but I still eat instead of cowering in fear in the corner sipping a protein shake.
    That's the YOLO category in case you were wondering. I don't know anyone who has the luxury of cowering in a corner sipping on a protein shake, or living their life in a bubble, or whatever analogy you want to give it. We're all out there dealing with it.

I am, however, related to someone who liked their "1 in 100,000 chance because they got the shot" or whatever made up number they told themselves to deem it an acceptable risk... and he died from covid, fully vaccinated in a North Dakota hospital 2 weeks ago. Anecdotal? Fine. But you've kind of been the anti-SeaRay around here about this. Just daring covid to **** with you. "I did what I was supposed to do, and I do what I'm supposed to do, so bring. it. on."

That's fine too. I'm probably more superstitious than you because I would never tempt fate like that. You do you though.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 12-15-2021 at 06:25 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

That's one prong of the anlaysis. You must have a legal duty, you must breach that duty, you must cause claimed injury/damage as a matter of fact, you must cause the claimed injury/damage as a matter of law, and there must be actual damage. Was the main cause of death the maskless kids at the school or the unvaccinated dad? Did the school have a duty to the dad? Did they breach any duty to the dad?

Probably not a winner.
    The school could just be proven to be reckless, show a disregard for the consequences of their actions.

If I don’t ice my sidewalk, and someone falls on it and breaks their hip, I am liable. If I have a legal duty to ice my sidewalk, then it’s rather easy to argue that a school has a legal duty to keep its students and their family safe from Covid. All they need to prove is that the school didn’t take reasonable actions to prevent the child from getting Covid.

You are making a lot of assumptions about everything.
    No, I'm not. It's quite the opposite. The defense would destroy this case. If it were this easy, there would have been tens of thousands of cases by now. Even the state hasn't mandated masks or vaccines, nor is it a workplace rule. It's a nonstarter.

18. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-16-2021)

Turn Off Ads?