Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On T. Stephenson

Re: On T. Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    India looks a lot like Brandon Phillips.
    TySteve looks to be a rich man's Jason LaRue (minus the whole Cardinals situation, of course).

Comparing players going into their second years to legendary greats is a fool's errand.
    In what sense is India like Phillips? India's .363 woBA was 10 points higher than Phillips' career high, 42 points higher than his career average. Meanwhile, India is solid defensively while Phillips was one of the greatest defensive 2B of the modern era.

India doesn't really have a great comp. Defensively good middle infielders who get on base at a .370 clip are a rare breed. It's sort of a weird comp, but the closest season to what India just did I can think of is Felipe Lopez in 2005.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

RedEye (12-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In what sense is India like Phillips? India's .363 woBA was 10 points higher than Phillips' career high, 42 points higher than his career average. Meanwhile, India is solid defensively while Phillips was one of the greatest defensive 2B of the modern era.

India doesn't really have a great comp. Defensively good middle infielders who get on base at a .370 clip are a rare breed. It's sort of a weird comp, but the closest season to what India just did I can think of is Felipe Lopez in 2005.
    How about Craig Biggio as an India comp? That'd be best-case, of course. If not Biggio, how about Ray Durham?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    How about Craig Biggio as an India comp? That'd be best-case, of course. If not Biggio, how about Ray Durham?
    I like both of those pretty well. A touch more power, a bit less contact and speed than those guys. But yeah, much closer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I like both of those pretty well. A touch more power, a bit less contact and speed than those guys. But yeah, much closer.
    Even Durham is a heady comparison. A Durham/ Parrish combo had 10 All-Star nods between them. (Biggio/ Parrish had 15.)

If Stephenson and India can do that, the Reds have cornerstones around which to build.

I like the Fisk comparison over Parrish for Stephenson because so far at this point in his (very brief) career, Stephenson looks to be a better hitter for average than Parrish, along with a better OBP.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I like the Fisk comparison over Parrish for Stephenson because so far at this point in his (very brief) career, Stephenson looks to be a better hitter for average than Parrish, along with a better OBP.
    Fisk had a 162 OPS+ his first season and a 165 wRC+.

Stephenson had a 104 OPS+ and a 111 wRC+.

That's a massive difference in production.

I was also bullish on Devin Mesoraco. I just really hope TySteve stays healthy at this point.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?