Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2022 Red Projections

2022 Red Projections

Thought this might be a catch-all for projections and discussions about what experts think may happen next year.

Fangraphs began their ZiPS, and the Reds have had some really rosy expectations. Among them, Eugenio Suarez should (according to Dan Szymborski) bounce back to somewhere around a .236/ .325/ .484/ 106 line. Moustakas's .247/ .318/ .457/ 98 wasn't bad either. On the pitching side, most of the young guys were looked at as solid regulars, including Reiver Sanmartin (105 ERA+, 1.7 fWAR), Hunter Greene (105 ERA+, 1.7 fWAR), and Nick Lodolo (118 ERA+, 1.2 fWAR). Luis Castillo projects to take that next step (4.7 fWAR), while Mahle and Gray remain well above average (3.4 and 3.3 fWAR respectively).

Nicklaus Gaut has projected the top 150 starters for fantasy baseball purposes, and it had some very interesting takeaways as well. Castillo dropped a bit in his rankings (35th overall), with Mahle (42nd) close behind. Gray projects as the 62nd best SP in baseball. What's interesting is that Reiver Sanmartin projects as slightly less than league average, 90th overall. (For reference, that's better than Josiah Gray, Stephen Strausberg, and Chris Paddack.) Hunter Greene projects as #127, ahead of Rich Hill, Reid Detmers, and Ross Stripling (among others).

In short, projection and fantasy baseball tend to like the Reds much more than we do.

2. Likes:

757690 (12-24-2021),boxseat (12-24-2021),RED VAN HOT (12-24-2021),Ron Madden (12-24-2021),UKFlounder (12-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 Red Projections

I agree with Fangraphs assessment. They will be around .500. Depth is needed in the infield and along with another star like Votto since he will likely retire soon.

These projections are encouraging and depressing.

Encouraging that the Reds look to be a decent team in 2020.

Depressing that the front office hasn’t worked harder to make them more than decent. With a few simple moves, this team could be a strong contender.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

6. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (12-25-2021),REDREAD (12-24-2021),Ron Madden (12-24-2021)

I think in 2020 we learned how important smallball is when we couldn't get an rbi in the post season. I think in 2021 we learned we need to make adjustments for Sept. I expect those two areas to make a big difference in 2022.

Turn Off Ads?