Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds on the Radio

Re: Reds on the Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This is just a 1 min. clip but thought I'd share it here

76 Reds vs '27 Yanks/Marty and Joe

Marty and Joe calling a game recreated from the APBA board game and aired on 700 WLW during the strike of 1981.

Listen here:
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/lance...-and-97557812/
    I'm pretty sure I listened to this back in 81. IIRC they did a few recreations and maybe broadcast some minor league games during the strike. Thanks for posting.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-16-2022),Ron Madden (06-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm pretty sure I listened to this back in 81. IIRC they did a few recreations and maybe broadcast some minor league games during the strike. Thanks for posting.
    I remember these. I am probably wrong. But I think they did 7 game replay. With the Reds winning 4 games to 3.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I remember these. I am probably wrong. But I think they did 7 game replay. With the Reds winning 4 games to 3.
    I got into playing a cards and dice game a couple years ago. Called inside pitch. I have the 72-76 seasons. So far I won the division playing all 162 games using actual lineups for both teams. WON 76 Western division by a bunch of games over LA. But lost time Philly in the playoffs. Philly beat Oakland in series. 75 i won division by 6 over LA. But lost to Pitt in playoffs. Oakland beat pitt in series. Finally won 72 West by 2 games over Houston. Lost in playoffs to Pitt. And once again Oakland beat Pitt. I use another dice thing called fast score to get the scores of the non Reds games to keep standings. I keep stats. 72 actual ERA for Nolan 1.99 my Replay 2.06. Bench 40 homers actual and 40 my replay. Of course not every player preforms the same. Some better some worse.
    So far I have had one no hitter 1976 Pat Zachry. Mogan stole home only once and hit for cycle.
    Craziest one yet. Larry Christenson threw a 1 hit shutout against me and hit for the only other cycle I have had.
    Playing 73 season now. About 50 games in. The Dodgers won 18 straight and are 11 games up in division. I am about to get Fred Norman soon. Thankfully Sparky had Clay Carroll first then Hall in the rotation.
    Replaying these has shown me one thing. Sparky just threw stuff at the wall to see if it stuck. He got lucky with Rose to 3rd move IMO.
    I love Sparky who here didn't? But I think he is probably very overrated as a manager. Like all managers he had great players.
    Some of the lineups he put out in the 70s. Peoples heads would explode in today's world. 73 is a revolving door in RF of mostly horrible players. Geronimo is in CF Tolan in RF to start year. Well 2-3 weeks in Geronimo seldom plays for a long period. Tolan moves to CF. Then revolving door of RF guys begin.
    Then Geronimo returns for a while but this time to RF not CF and Tolan stays in CF.
    Then once again Geronimo used sparingly and returns again this time back to CF with Tolan back to RF. Makes zero sense.
    73 Gullett is on a roll Clay Carroll in relief terrible to start year. What does Sparky do? Moves Gullett to the pen for a couple weeks and Puts Carroll in the rotation for 4 turns.
    Most of the moves he made in 72 and 73 with the staff made zero sense. Talent overcame the craziness.
    This has nothing to do with the dice game I am playing other than I simply use the as played lineups for both teams each game. And I think what on earth was Sparky thinking playing so and so ,so much and why did he put this guy in the rotation over this guy.
    And Yes I am a nerd when it comes to that game. It's addicting.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 06-16-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know they did some minor league during the '94 strike, including Birmingham Barons games when Jordan was on the team. I believe there's a good "Star of the Game" interview with Nuxhall and MJ somewhere.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-16-2022)

Here's a game I came across the other day. It's Tom Seaver's first game as a Red, June 18 1977. Enjoy!

Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-20-2022),goreds2 (06-28-2022)

Here's another I forgot I had on my list. It is from September 23 1977. I know 1977 wasn't a great season but it was heckuva a lot better than the current one.

Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

goreds2 (06-28-2022)

the 77 Reds won 88 games and George Foster hit 52 homeruns. I have fond memories of that team.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-20-2022),cumberlandreds (06-19-2022),goreds2 (06-28-2022),RichRed (06-24-2022),Roy Tucker (06-24-2022)

From Lance McAlister

During the 1994 MLB strike, the Reds decided to broadcast minor league baseball games to fill the loss of game inventory on the Reds Radio Network.

Marty and Joe called a number of Double-A Chattanooga Lookouts games that aired on 700 WLW.

Below are clips from August 20, 1994: Chattanooga vs Birmingham. The Barons had Michael Jordan on their roster.

Nuxhall interviewed Jordan for the pre-game.

I've also included a couple of Jordan at-bats....a walk a homer. The home run is called by Larry Ward, the voice of the Lookouts, who joined Marty and Joe on the broadcast.

Ward is still the voice of the Lookouts.

June 21, 2022 • 7 min
    Joe Nuxhall interviews Michael Jordan 8-20-94.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/lance...rdan-98566648/

Michael Jordan homers on 700 WLW
    June 21, 2022 • 4 min

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/lance...-wlw-98566649/

Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-22-2022 at 06:52 AM.

16. Likes:

bm1475 (06-22-2022),cumberlandreds (06-22-2022),goreds2 (06-28-2022)

LanceMcAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    Watch OTD '90
    #Reds beat Dodgers ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
    Jon Miller/Joe Morgan on the call.
    This is the game where Charlton ran over Scioscia

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdgrAJ...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-24-2022 at 06:49 PM.

For some reason I posted the same video of the game twice
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-24-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    the 77 Reds won 88 games and George Foster hit 52 homeruns. I have fond memories of that team.
    I always wonder if Bowie Kuhn woukd have allowed Vida Blue to be a Red, can you imagine Seaver and Blue in the rotation??? Funny how back then Kuhn was worried our Big Red Machine would be to dominate and it wouldn't be fair, and today the Dodgers cam get every superstar and MLB looks the other way

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-24-2022),goreds2 (06-28-2022),membengal (06-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I got into playing a cards and dice game a couple years ago. Called inside pitch. I have the 72-76 seasons. So far I won the division playing all 162 games using actual lineups for both teams. WON 76 Western division by a bunch of games over LA. But lost time Philly in the playoffs. Philly beat Oakland in series. 75 i won division by 6 over LA. But lost to Pitt in playoffs. Oakland beat pitt in series. Finally won 72 West by 2 games over Houston. Lost in playoffs to Pitt. And once again Oakland beat Pitt. I use another dice thing called fast score to get the scores of the non Reds games to keep standings. I keep stats. 72 actual ERA for Nolan 1.99 my Replay 2.06. Bench 40 homers actual and 40 my replay. Of course not every player preforms the same. Some better some worse.
    So far I have had one no hitter 1976 Pat Zachry. Mogan stole home only once and hit for cycle.
    Craziest one yet. Larry Christenson threw a 1 hit shutout against me and hit for the only other cycle I have had.
    Playing 73 season now. About 50 games in. The Dodgers won 18 straight and are 11 games up in division. I am about to get Fred Norman soon. Thankfully Sparky had Clay Carroll first then Hall in the rotation.
    Replaying these has shown me one thing. Sparky just threw stuff at the wall to see if it stuck. He got lucky with Rose to 3rd move IMO.
    I love Sparky who here didn't? But I think he is probably very overrated as a manager. Like all managers he had great players.
    Some of the lineups he put out in the 70s. Peoples heads would explode in today's world. 73 is a revolving door in RF of mostly horrible players. Geronimo is in CF Tolan in RF to start year. Well 2-3 weeks in Geronimo seldom plays for a long period. Tolan moves to CF. Then revolving door of RF guys begin.
    Then Geronimo returns for a while but this time to RF not CF and Tolan stays in CF.
    Then once again Geronimo used sparingly and returns again this time back to CF with Tolan back to RF. Makes zero sense.
    73 Gullett is on a roll Clay Carroll in relief terrible to start year. What does Sparky do? Moves Gullett to the pen for a couple weeks and Puts Carroll in the rotation for 4 turns.
    Most of the moves he made in 72 and 73 with the staff made zero sense. Talent overcame the craziness.
    This has nothing to do with the dice game I am playing other than I simply use the as played lineups for both teams each game. And I think what on earth was Sparky thinking playing so and so ,so much and why did he put this guy in the rotation over this guy.
    And Yes I am a nerd when it comes to that game. It's addicting.
    I played APBA baseball alot. Started in 1976 and I played every game of every team. Knew every teams lineups by heart in real life and Kept up with every real trade as I played the seasons. Kept all stats and it took me 12 years for the Reds to win a world series...I made a MVP and a Cy Young voting system. Points for where your team finished in the standings etc. Had two players hit 4 homers in a game. Daryl Strawberry and Don Mattingly. During the season the Reds won it all, last 2 weeks of the season the Giants were coming on strong. Was playing a crucial 3 game series against the Giants. Reds came to the bottom of the ninth down by 7 runs. With two outs, the dice were magical. Even with 3 pitching changes, 8 straight hits with a couple walks and a walk off Kal Daniel's bases loaded clearing double to win it.. still remember that and the team went on a winning streak to cruise to the playoffs and into the post season.. I still remember every year getting excited to buy the new APBA season cards and getting them in the mail.. I had all the boards memorized mostly fir the plays with the dice...I went thru thousands of those pre-made score sheets I got copied at a local copier place... my mother said I was addicted to that dice game. Lol. Now you can get it on computer and just play one team and the computer does the rest...would have saves me many hours if doing all stats by hand back then lol..

22. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-25-2022)

Turn Off Ads?