Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Cincinnati as a "football town"

never thought i would see the day. but with the bengals & bearcats -- and the sorry state of the reds -- hard to argue that this hasn't turned into a football town.

i just hope the reds can get their act together and we can call this a baseball/football town.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati as a "football town"

It's always been and always will be a baseball town. Football is on the upswing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-05-2022),Rdirtypirates (01-07-2022),Ron Madden (01-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's always been and always will be a baseball town. Football is on the upswing now.
    I think it's always been a college basketball town & HS Football Town first

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think it's always been a college basketball town & HS Football Town first
    Let me know when they have parades for them and I might agree.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-05-2022)

Let me know when they have parades for them and I might agree.
    I'm struggling to remember when the Reds merited a parade.

I'm going by what I hear people from Cincinnati talk the most about sports wise... maybe it's my sources?

Every city that has the NFL is pretty much a football town. NFL is king. Not ever going to change.

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-16-2022),RiverRat13 (01-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm struggling to remember when the Reds merited a parade.

I'm going by what I hear people from Cincinnati talk the most about sports wise... maybe it's my sources?
    I'm not saying they merit one but they have one every year for them. As for what people talk about, right now it's the Bengals. They are in the playoffs and the Reds aren't playing. Hardly a surprise there. If the CBA gets worked out, rest assured come February, they will be talking about Spring Training and the upcoming season.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Every city that has the NFL is pretty much a football town. NFL is king. Not ever going to change.
    New York:
    Yankees >> Giants >>>>> Jets

Detroit:
    Red Wings > Lions

Boston:
    Even with the unprecedented success that the Patriots have had under Belichick, Boston is a Red Sox/Celtics town first. But it's close.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2022),goreds2 (01-04-2022),Joeyjection19 (01-05-2022),Revering4Blue (01-04-2022),Ron Madden (01-04-2022),westofyou (01-04-2022)

I'm not saying they merit one but they have one every year for them. As for what people talk about, right now it's the Bengals. They are in the playoffs and the Reds aren't playing. Hardly a surprise there. If the CBA gets worked out, rest assured come February, they will be talking about Spring Training and the upcoming season.
    OK makes sense.... BTW what HS did you go to and how about those Bombers?

A couple of years ago, people thought this was a soccer town. How's that looking now? Before this year, people were down on the Bengals for a long time. I'm not saying people aren't excited for the Bengals (and the Bearcats and their HS football teams.) They have every right to be. But baseball is in this town's DNA and nothing short of the Reds leaving town or folding is going to change that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-05-2022),REDREAD (01-05-2022),Ron Madden (01-04-2022),Roy Tucker (01-04-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-04-2022)

I'd call it a high school football and baseball town, though less fully a baseball town than when I grew up there long ago on the west side.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-04-2022),SunDeck (01-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    New York:
    Yankees >> Giants >>>>> Jets

Detroit:
    Red Wings > Lions

Boston:
    Even with the unprecedented success that the Patriots have had under Belichick, Boston is a Red Sox/Celtics town first. But it's close.
    I'd have Chicago as a baseball town too since they have two teams, but that one's more debatable I suppose thanks to the long history of the Bears (of course so do the Lions)...

Cincinnati became a Bengals town with the two Super Bowl appearances in the 80s. The Reds were pretty mediocre, which probably didn't help, but man the town was pretty nuts for the Bengals. And Aaron Pryor.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

21. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-16-2022),JFLegal (01-04-2022),Kurt Stillwell (01-04-2022)

For most residents under the age of 40 Cincinnati is a football town. With UC football becoming a top 10 program that's only going to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    For most residents under the age of 40 Cincinnati is a football town. With UC football becoming a top 10 program that's only going to continue.
    ?

For Cincinnati residents under 40, none of them will be able to recall a Bengals playoff victory.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2022),REDREAD (01-05-2022),Revering4Blue (01-04-2022),Ron Madden (01-04-2022)

Turn Off Ads?