Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Re: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Quote Originally Posted by DayGameRedLegs View Post
    I honestly don't mind if Cincinnati becomes a football town. Football is an enjoyable sport to watch and play and if we become a football town, it's probably b/c the Bengals are winning.

Cincinnati's place in history as a baseball town is what makes it special to me. We still have the savor of the BRM from the not too distant past and of course the Redstockings as the first all professional team.

If the Reds are going to remain a baseball town then they need to win, keep the tradition alive and keep recruiting the youth/families to participate. I think they do a really good job at the latter two and I'm encouraged by the progress in winning the last few seasons.
    Exactly, the Reds have always been a fabric of the community and relevant in the fabric of the league... until the 21st century. But that doesn't mean it can't change

2. Likes:

DayGameRedLegs (01-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Exactly, the Reds have always been a fabric of the community and relevant in the fabric of the league... until the 21st century. But that doesn't mean it can't change
    That's true. I'm really enjoying being a Reds fan at this time and collecting sportscards. I brought my 5 yr old son to GABP a few times last season and even my wife is joining us as a family event. This year will be the first year he plays baseball. He was hooked after playing on the kids diamond. This is how the legacy continues and I'm enjoying the ride.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The difference is no matter what, no matter how awful, Cincinnatians will pack the house for football. GAB will be an empty hellhole this summer when they’re 10 games out when kids get out of school. The city fathers would break their spines to keep an NFL franchise in Cincinnati. I think it’s pretty touch and go with baseball anymore. They’re 27 years from a relevant postseason appearance and 32 years from a championship. Seriously no one cares about this team anymore. Least of all young people.
    No one cares, yet the 4th highest local TV ratings in MLB last year...

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/n...n-s-first.html

Guess the other 26 cities and fanbases must really be awful

6. Likes:

JFLegal (01-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by DayGameRedLegs View Post
    That's true. I'm really enjoying being a Reds fan at this time and collecting sportscards. I brought my 5 yr old son to GABP a few times last season and even my wife is joining us as a family event. This year will be the first year he plays baseball. He was hooked after playing on the kids diamond. This is how the legacy continues and I'm enjoying the ride.
    "even my wife is joining us"

lol, i can relate my man.

but seriously, my wife is a good soldier for sporting events. she doesn't really care, but she knows the kids and i love it, so she goes along with it.

who dey!

8. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

that's pretty damn impressive. i knew the reds got great TV ratings for a small market team (like i said earlier in this thread) but i did not know they were 4th overall for TV ratings among local audiences. very impressive.

my hope is cincinnati will be both a football & baseball town. translation: i hope the bengals & reds win a ton of games.

10. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    "even my wife is joining us"

lol, i can relate my man.

but seriously, my wife is a good soldier for sporting events. she doesn't really care, but she knows the kids and i love it, so she goes along with it.

who dey!
    My wife likes to attend Reds games in person. She doesn’t really care a lot about the Reds, but she likes games as a social event. I always laugh. I watch the game on the field and game action. She likes to people watch and watch the inbetween inning stuff on the scoreboard (which I find inane). But she is always up for going to a Reds game.

One very redeeming quality about her is she likes to drink beer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-27-2022),goreds2 (01-23-2022),JFLegal (01-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post

Cincinnati is an aging city. Lots old people watch games from home. And that’s one data point. A better indicator is turnstiles, who’s willing to shell out money. Pretty uninspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Cincinnati is an aging city. Lots old people watch games from home. And that’s one data point. A better indicator is turnstiles, who’s willing to shell out money. Pretty uninspiring.
    Average ages

Milwaukee - 39
    St Louis - 35.8
    Chicago - 34.6
    Pittsburgh - 32.9
    Cincinnati - 32

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-27-2022),Mitri (01-23-2022),oregonred (01-19-2022),Ron Madden (01-19-2022)

"So Fla Red"

But the average age of dogs, cats and goldfish in the Cincinnati area must surely be the highest in the NL Central

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Average ages

Milwaukee - 39
    St Louis - 35.8
    Chicago - 34.6
    Pittsburgh - 32.9
    Cincinnati - 32
    Metro areas? Or inner core cities? Young people are moving to cities. And none of those cities is particularly young.

As I suspected, when you count the metro area it gets a good bit older.

Name:  B3B3E082-C5DD-43C0-AD4D-043C10A595D1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  281.9 KB

The Midwest in general is getting older. The south and southwest, younger.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-19-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Yeah not sure, but most cities skew in mid 30's from a quick look

Lol exactly. My wife has absolutely no interest in baseball or any sports. I'm surprised she even goes. I think it's everything they have to offer for the kids.

Gotta love Wives/Mom's who are team players.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    that's pretty damn impressive. i knew the reds got great TV ratings for a small market team (like i said earlier in this thread) but i did not know they were 4th overall for TV ratings among local audiences. very impressive.

my hope is cincinnati will be both a football & baseball town. translation: i hope the bengals & reds win a ton of games.
    Oh ya! That'd be great

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My wife likes to attend Reds games in person. She doesn’t really care a lot about the Reds, but she likes games as a social event. I always laugh. I watch the game on the field and game action. She likes to people watch and watch the inbetween inning stuff on the scoreboard (which I find inane). But she is always up for going to a Reds game.

A wife who will go to the ballpark w/ you and drink beer? You found a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

haha, you married well my friend

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-27-2022),DayGameRedLegs (01-21-2022),goreds2 (01-23-2022),Roy Tucker (01-23-2022)

Turn Off Ads?