Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Re: Cincinnati as a "football town"

whooooooooooo deeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My wife likes to attend Reds games in person. She doesn’t really care a lot about the Reds, but she likes games as a social event. I always laugh. I watch the game on the field and game action. She likes to people watch and watch the inbetween inning stuff on the scoreboard (which I find inane). But she is always up for going to a Reds game.

One very redeeming quality about her is she likes to drink beer.
    By god, you are a lucky man, Roy. My wife also loves to go to the ball park and I've always felt blessed by this. But she won't go to a Bengals game because she feels like a Bengals game is not really family friendly.
    I agree about that; my dad owned season tickets from the first games at Nippert until he sold his license to his younger brother in the mid 2000s. Riverfront was a terrible football stadium but the atmosphere was fun. When they moved to PBS something changed, to the point that Bengals games really felt like a reason for frustrated men to get drunk and let out their frustrations. I'm not kidding, I don't remember going to a game there without seeing a fight between a group of Bengals fans and opposing fans. Maybe it's just the culture of football fans that has changed, but I'd rather attend a high school game in Cincinnati than a Bengals game.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    By god, you are a lucky man, Roy. My wife also loves to go to the ball park and I've always felt blessed by this. But she won't go to a Bengals game because she feels like a Bengals game is not really family friendly.
    I agree about that; my dad owned season tickets from the first games at Nippert until he sold his license to his younger brother in the mid 2000s. Riverfront was a terrible football stadium but the atmosphere was fun. When they moved to PBS something changed, to the point that Bengals games really felt like a reason for frustrated men to get drunk and let out their frustrations. I'm not kidding, I don't remember going to a game there without seeing a fight between a group of Bengals fans and opposing fans. Maybe it's just the culture of football fans that has changed, but I'd rather attend a high school game in Cincinnati than a Bengals game.
    Pro football live went weird when people began dressing up like they were going to a Furry Convention

I enjoyed Riverfront in the day, but the best atmosphere was usually is a college game at a storied place, like the Big House.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-29-2022),SunDeck (01-27-2022),wally post (01-28-2022)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My wife will attend any baseball-ish game with (or without) me. Been to a dozen MLB parks and a dozen minor league ball parks. Probably seen 500-ish baseball games with her (Tball to MLB).

We met in high school - she came to nearly every one of my games. We didn't go to the same high school. I played slow pitch softball for a few teams after high school - she came to nearly all the games and kept the score book. A fair number of our pre-marriage dates were baseball games.

Gamely played OF or 1B for a few thousand games with our son and neighbor in the backyard. She kept book from T-ball thru coach pitch when I coached our son. At family gatherings we often play wiffle-ball, she will pull up a lawn-chair and watch (my son is 18, I am 52).

If we are driving by the high school baseball field in the town we live in and they are playing, we have been known to stop and watch a few innings.
    A few years back she has a business trip to North Carolina. One evening she sent me a picture from the Durham Bulls game. Nobody from her conference wanted to go so she went herself. *jealous*

She owns and wears these to games:
    Name:  keds-baseball-shoes-deal.png
Views: 273
Size:  201.6 KB

Bonus: Her love of baseball is *maybe* one of her 5 best attributes.

7. Likes:

Chip R (01-28-2022),cumberlandreds (01-27-2022),DayGameRedLegs (01-30-2022),goreds2 (01-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pro football live went weird when people began dressing up like they were going to a Furry Convention

I enjoyed Riverfront in the day, but the best atmosphere was usually is a college game at a storied place, like the Big House.
    Trust me, the "Big House" has anything but atmosphere. Unless one considers the constant smell of urine and the sight of fat coeds a festive environment.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (01-28-2022),JFLegal (01-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gant View Post
    Trust me, the "Big House" has anything but atmosphere. Unless one considers the constant smell of urine and the sight of fat coeds a festive environment.
    I'm thinking more back in the pre ESPN era, but yeah, that's part of the aura. I was weaned on Detroit sports, I'm still damaged by the stench of Tiger Stadium mixed with stale beer and cigars

I'm thinking more back in the pre ESPN era, but yeah, that's part of the aura. I was weaned on Detroit sports, I'm still damaged by the stench of Tiger Stadium mixed with stale beer and cigars
    That seemed to be part of older stadiums. I remember old Municipal Stadium up in Cleveland and Crosley Field down here just reeked of cigar smoke. I don’t remember seeing that many guys smoking cigars so maybe it was just ingrained in the bricks and seats. But Riverfront never really acquired that aroma. And GABP is no smoking thank god.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-27-2022)

the big house actually has a wine and cheese environment. penn state probably has the best. and the horseshoe will get rocking when michigan comes to columbus (or notre dame, which will happen for the 2022 season opener). a lot of games at ohio stadium aren't that loud. but when it's a big game, the buckeye fans get loud af.

nothing probably beats the penn state white out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My wife likes to attend Reds games in person. She doesn’t really care a lot about the Reds, but she likes games as a social event. I always laugh. I watch the game on the field and game action. She likes to people watch and watch the inbetween inning stuff on the scoreboard (which I find inane). But she is always up for going to a Reds game.

One very redeeming quality about her is she likes to drink beer.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-30-2022)

whooooooooooo deeeeyyyyyyyyy!

afc north champs!

17. Likes:

DayGameRedLegs (01-30-2022),goreds2 (01-30-2022),mth123 (01-30-2022),Redsfaithful (01-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    whooooooooooo deeeeyyyyyyyyy!

afc north champs!
    They are American Football Conference Champs

19. Likes:

DayGameRedLegs (01-30-2022),UKFlounder (01-31-2022)

This is unbelievable! Bengals going to the Superbowl?! What if they win?! I feel so blind-sided by this good news! Glad I've been watching them this season w/ my family. Would've hated to miss the ride.

Turn Off Ads?