Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Re: Cincinnati as a "football town"

Just an aside, I much prefer to attend a MLB game than an NFL game.

Both crowds like their beer, but a summer game played at a slow pace keeps the beer intake to a reasonable pace (and yes, there always are idiots, but the majority is ok). But NFL games are played in lousier weather and fans seem to take that as an excuse to drink and get completely effed up. I just don’t go to Bengal games any more because of the drunken idiots and fights.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (01-16-2022),SunDeck (01-16-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hasn’t FCC been a dumpster fire since they started in MLS?
    Yes.

But before that?

Tickets were dirt cheap or free.
    Beer was cheap.
    Atmosphere was electric.
    They beat teams they weren't supposed to beat.

It was fun. "We're a soccer city now!"

Then the money came in.

Now they're doormats.

The flash in the pan interest in soccer was more a testament to the win-starved local sports fanbase than of anything FCC did specifically.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Yes.

But before that?

Tickets were dirt cheap or free.
    Beer was cheap.
    Atmosphere was electric.
    They beat teams they weren't supposed to beat.

It was fun. "We're a soccer city now!"

Then the money came in.

Now they're doormats.

The flash in the pan interest in soccer was more a testament to the win-starved local sports fanbase than of anything FCC did specifically.
    FWIW they were calling Cincinnati a Soccer City in the 70s too, Portland also was calling itself a Soccer City the last decade too because of the Timbers. The Trailblazers own the town though and they've had a longer run of futility than the Bengals and Reds combined

When I lived in Portland (2014-19), it felt to me like the Timbers were more of an “it’s fun to drink beer and be outside for a few hours” pastime rather than a sports franchise people got really fired up about. I didn’t have a ton of sports fan coworkers, though.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    FWIW they were calling Cincinnati a Soccer City in the 70s too, Portland also was calling itself a Soccer City the last decade too because of the Timbers. The Trailblazers own the town though and they've had a longer run of futility than the Bengals and Reds combined
    FWIW, the ‘Blazers have two Conference Finals appearances to their credit since 2000, including one three seasons ago against a stacked Warriors team.

Been ages since the Reds or Bengals have come close in that regard, but the Bengals have a great chance to end that futility, possibly this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    When I lived in Portland (2014-19), it felt to me like the Timbers were more of an “it’s fun to drink beer and be outside for a few hours” pastime rather than a sports franchise people got really fired up about. I didn’t have a ton of sports fan coworkers, though.
    It’s a little of both, I have neighbors who are into it family wise big time and I know the ones you knew too. Blazers are the fave though, and yes they have been a bridesmaid a few times in the past 20 years but they were always well behind the team they matched up with and the fans knew it

10. Likes:

bm1475 (01-10-2022)

woooooot!

who dey!

12. Likes:

mth123 (01-16-2022),Redsfaithful (01-16-2022)

If the Bengals can actually sustain some success (I’m getting ahead of myself I know), does that hasten the Reds ticket out of town?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the Bengals can actually sustain some success (I’m getting ahead of myself I know), does that hasten the Reds ticket out of town?
    Not a chance

15. Likes:

Chip R (01-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not a chance
    Probably not. But I can’t imagine that moving (with a serious ownership group) would do anything but benefit the franchise and MLB. I’m beginning to believe that the only true parity will happen by putting franchises in cities where they’ll be supported and more fiercely competitive. I’m guessing the San Jose Reds or the Portland Pirates would be a much tougher out than they are in their current habitats. Which would certainly help with parity.

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    FWIW, the ‘Blazers have two Conference Finals appearances to their credit since 2000, including one three seasons ago against a stacked Warriors team.

Been ages since the Reds or Bengals have come close in that regard, but the Bengals have a great chance to end that futility, possibly this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Trailblazers are the Yankees by comparison to the abjectness of Cincinnati franchises. They’re a punchline without the laugh.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-16-2022)

I think there's enough room for everybody, and competition among the sports makes all of them better. They all try to win the lions share of the people's affection (and money).

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Probably not. But I can’t imagine that moving (with a serious ownership group) would do anything but benefit the franchise and MLB. I’m beginning to believe that the only true parity will happen by putting franchises in cities where they’ll be supported and more fiercely competitive. I’m guessing the San Jose Reds or the Portland Pirates would be a much tougher out than they are in their current habitats. Which would certainly help with parity.
    For that to happen you have to have an owner willing to sell...there are no grumblings that Cast and his group are looking to sell. Nor is there news on a succession plan to pass the torch to Phil Castellini who has been the Reds Chief FO for a number of years. I think we are going to see more of the same in Cincinnati for another 5-10 years.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

22. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    For that to happen you have to have an owner willing to sell...there are no grumblings that Cast and his group are looking to sell. Nor is there news on a succession plan to pass the torch to Phil Castellini who has been the Reds Chief FO for a number of years. I think we are going to see more of the same in Cincinnati for another 5-10 years.
    Yeah, I think so too.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Well I know this, after finally getting a taste of real meaningful victory last night, I have even less tolerance than I already did for the Reds pathetic schtick. They might as well be dead to me at this point, let Cincinnati be a Bengals city now. Don’t care.

25. Likes:

Falls City Beer (01-16-2022),Redsfaithful (01-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?