Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals Part VI: PLAYOFFS?!???!

Re: Cincinnati Bengals Part VI: PLAYOFFS?!???!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Rematch with the 49ers in the Super Bowl? Third time's a charm.
    Bring ‘em on.

They should have won that regular season game. I’ll take my chances against them again if they can pull off another upset next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What is Hendrickson’s injury?

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Rematch with the 49ers in the Super Bowl? Third time's a charm.
    I am pretty much the opposite of a football fan (I'll start watching games if the Giants are good after Week 12 or so), but my first memory of the sport was the '82 Super Bowl (we had just moved to Ohio months before, and so it was big enough deal that even my NY-centric parents were into it). And I was susceptible enough to peer pressure from the other kids that I still have some mild PTSD from '89.

So yeah, it needs to be the 49ers, just to make things a little extra spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    What is Hendrickson’s injury?
    I think he was rushing off the left side on Tannehill's last INT, so he should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I think he was rushing off the left side on Tannehill's last INT, so he should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. He came back

7. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-23-2022),oregonred (01-23-2022)

I'm just amazed at how well the Bengals defensive front played and tackled, especially after all the talk of the injuries and trying to pull guys out of retirement to play this week. Reader was a beast, even Shelvin and the new guy Kerr seemed to be involved. Huge stops on a few short yardage situations that I think won the game for Cincinnati.

I actually think the Bengals were fortunate the Titans went so much with Henry. Their other backs seemed more explosive, Henry seemed a little sluggish.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

9. Likes:

JCM11 (01-24-2022)

The Titans had 2 problems that led to their demise:

1) Ryan Tannehill. 'Nuff said

2) Coaching. Vrabel, for all his pregame accolades, got completely out coached. He got totally burned by going for 2 so early in the game. It's too early to start chasing points. At that point you don't know whether the second point will be impactful. As it turned out, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The Titans lead would have been either 17-16 or 18-16. But if he's going to go for it, why not do another wildcat with Henry? The Bengals had no answer.

He also trusted Tannehill far more than he should have. The thinking should have been to use him as a game manager: Don't turn the ball over and we win, kinda like Alex Smith or Trent Dilfer

He later ran two running plays to the right side which is the weakest part of his O line to no avail as he turned the ball over on downs to the Bengals

One more thing that I haven't heard talked about too much...the officiating, unlike our previous game, was typical for a playoff game. Very few flags. The officials let more holding and PI go than they do in the regular season but they should have thrown a flag on the worst hit Joe Burrow took all day. The officials blew a play dead before the snap and someone came in low and crumpled Burrow. That should have been a flag on two fronts. It was after the whistle and it was low. I was thrilled to see Joe walk that one off

One final point...Zac has got to call more short passes when his O line is sucking. Guys were going out on too long of patterns. Where were the screens and crossing patterns? I'm talking 3 step drop and the ball's out kind of calls. They need to work on that before their next game. Understand your O line sucks and gameplan for it

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-24-2022),Hillsdale87 (01-23-2022),membengal (01-23-2022),Redhook (01-23-2022),Revering4Blue (01-23-2022),The Operator (01-23-2022)

DJ Reader on Burrow:

“He’s the toughest guy in the league,” Bengals defensive tackle D.J. Reader said. “Just gritty. Love it. I love that about him. He’s a super tough guy. He doesn’t complain. Goes out there does his job. I really appreciate Joe.”
    Also Reader has been worth every single penny...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Titans had 2 problems that led to their demise:

1) Ryan Tannehill. 'Nuff said

2) Coaching. Vrabel, for all his pregame accolades, got completely out coached. He got totally burned by going for 2 so early in the game. It's too early to start chasing points. At that point you don't know whether the second point will be impactful. As it turned out, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The Titans lead would have been either 17-16 or 18-16. But if he's going to go for it, why not do another wildcat with Henry? The Bengals had no answer.

He also trusted Tannehill far more than he should have. The thinking should have been to use him as a game manager: Don't turn the ball over and we win, kinda like Alex Smith or Trent Dilfer

He later ran two running plays to the right side which is the weakest part of his O line to no avail as he turned the ball over on downs to the Bengals

One more thing that I haven't heard talked about too much...the officiating, unlike our previous game, was typical for a playoff game. Very few flags. The officials let more holding and PI go than they do in the regular season but they should have thrown a flag on the worst hit Joe Burrow took all day. The officials blew a play dead before the snap and someone came in low and crumpled Burrow. That should have been a flag on two fronts. It was after the whistle and it was low. I was thrilled to see Joe walk that one off

One final point...Zac has got to call more short passes when his O line is sucking. Guys were going out on too long of patterns. Where were the screens and crossing patterns? I'm talking 3 step drop and the ball's out kind of calls. They need to work on that before their next game. Understand your O line sucks and gameplan for it
    I agree completely about the 2 pt conversion. I think at this point coaches just do exactly what the analytics say to do, and it’s resulting in dumb decisions. No reason to go for 2 that early in the game. You just don’t chase points that early.

Agree about the Bengals OL. Imagine how dominant Burrow would be if he had a decent line. 8-9 sacks is insane. Bengals and bengals fans are lucky he didn’t get injured yesterday.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

After some time to reflect, here is what is rattling around my head this morning:

---the play of our D-line was outstanding. Lining Shelvin up at nose and flanking him with Reader and Hill and then Hendrickson and Hubbard outside them was a really excellent coaching move and gave them the approach they needed to slow up the Titans run D enough. That's yet another props for Anurumo.
    ---That Burrow could take that beating and still STILL complete 75% of this throws and have the only pick be the Perine screw up is just incredible to me. I don't know how many other QBs could still perform like that in those circumstances - and have the confidence to anchor and deliver the last pass to Chase to get in McPherson's range. Like none of the rest of the game had happened. He's just different.
    ---Speaking of different, not only is McPherson leg talented, but a supreme bonus that he comes equipped with the kind of mindset you want from your kicker - and he's just 22. I can't get over Burrow's story about McPherson taking one more warm-up kick on the sideline before going out and saying "looks like we're going to the AFC championship". I mean...damn.
    ---relatedly, having Bullock rather than, say, McPherson, helped cost the Titans that game. The 4th and 1 stop in the 4th quarter came at the 35/36. Titans never even considered running Bullock on for a 54-yard attempt for the lead...
    ---Back on the defense, the LB play from Pratt and Wilson was as good as we have seen from that group in a big spot on this team in decades. DECADES. Hell, that Johnston play stopping Henry on the 2-point conversion probably was a game saver as it turned out. Add in Bailey on the 4th and 1 stop (w Reader anchoring) and the LB corp was exemplary.
    ----I know Chido had a rough game in coverage, but...the tackle he made on the last Titans drive to avoid the Henry stiff arm and keep him from the edge on the first play of that drive may also have been game-saving.
    ---I still hear ZT take a ton of shots and skepticism from national commentators but...damn. How can anyone look at where this team is and seriously question him. It occurs to me that his play calling may look uneven maybe because of (checks notes) the line he is calling plays with?
    ---Same comment on national types - but---has everyone forgotten that playoff football very much looks like what we saw yesterday? Cold, defense, special teams, turnovers, etc. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, name a great QB and check their playoff histories and you will see plenty of games that were defensive struggles that had to be managed to move on. Burrow played exactly that kind of game yesterday and took care of the ball.
    ---I can't believe we are here. It is literally at least one year early. Roster re-build not complete until line is addressed. And yet, we are in the AFC championship game. Gonna be strong underdogs, but who the hell cares. With this QB and these receivers and big plays always a possibility you literally never know. add in an under-rated defense and I don't put anything past them anymore.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

15. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-23-2022),Hypnotoad (01-23-2022),Redhook (01-23-2022),The Operator (01-23-2022),UKFlounder (01-23-2022)

Has anyone seen/heard a link to the Hoard/Lapham call of the final field goal? I kinda want to hear that moment from them. Every highlight package I’m finding has the CBS call.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Has anyone seen/heard a link to the Hoard/Lapham call of the final field goal? I kinda want to hear that moment from them. Every highlight package I’m finding has the CBS call.
    Here you go:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...ounced-titans/
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-23-2022),dabvu2498 (01-23-2022),oregonred (01-23-2022),Sea Ray (01-23-2022),texasdave (01-23-2022),The Operator (01-23-2022),UKFlounder (01-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Final min calls here on Dan's Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoard/fin...n-at-tennessee

20. Likes:

dabvu2498 (01-23-2022),pedro (01-23-2022),UKFlounder (01-23-2022)

Brilliant. Thanks y’all.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Uzomah’s nickname for Burrow is franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JAeqv7hJA
    Last edited by Redhook; 01-23-2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Wrong link
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?