Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Here's my surprise semi-prediction. Everyone is convinced that Brian Flores is a lock for a job this cycle. I'm not convinced. He's a guy that went thru a bunch of coaches ....

"The Dolphins always had a revolving door of coaches under Flores, including four offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators, and four offensive line coaches in his three seasons on the job."

He clashed with his GM, he sabotaged his starting QB by trying get Watson. Here's an article from Miami paper about some of the struggles.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...256841207.html

He wanted Bill O'Brien like personnel control. He got the team media director fired over the objection of the team president.

A lot of clubs are trying to fix toxic environments. He may not get hired.
    The elite sports media loves Flores but I agree with you. It's not a slam dunk he'll get one of these open jobs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I am too. Jerry doesn't fire coaches very often.
    But if Jerry is fixated on a coach and doesn’t want to lose him he will push the coach out the door to make room.

Jason Garrett is a perfect example of this and Kellen Moore is Jerry’s new flavor of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I've been maintaining a spreadsheet of the coaching interviews. Popular names that have not been interviewed at all..... Josh McDaniels, Jim Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, Raheem Morris.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Adam Schefter:

Raiders still have HC Rich Bisaccia and GM Mike Mayock in place, but it hasn’t stopped Las Vegas from looking.

Raiders requested permission to interview Patriots ILB coach Jerod Mayo for HC and Patriots director of player personnel Dave Ziegler for their GM job, per source.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Mayock is gone

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Tomlin has been to the playoffs 10 out of his 15 seasons, has never had a losing record, and has won a Super Bowl. I'd say he deserves a little job security.
    Never suggested Tomlin was in danger of being fired. Just tossing the idea maybe he steps down (Ala Cowher) rather than rebuild with Mason Rudolph at the helm.

It is worth noting in 11 seasons that Tomlin and Ben are just 3-7 in the playoffs since the 2010 season.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Bronco's went 7-10 without a QB. They have a great defense, some nice tools on offense, but don't have a QB. Division change on their head rather quickly, give me the best roster with ownership that is committed.
    Haven't the Broncos been ~7-9 seemingly every year since Manning retired.

With Fangio gone the defense likely regresses and Mahomes and Herbert continue to widen the divisional gap.

Jacksonville is the best potential QB and divisional situation of the current openings.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Haven't the Broncos been ~7-9 seemingly every year since Manning retired.

With Fangio gone the defense likely regresses and Mahomes and Herbert continue to widen the divisional gap.

Jacksonville is the best potential QB and divisional situation of the current openings.
    Jacksonville also has an owner who makes Mike Brown look like Robert Kraft.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Raiders relieve Mike Mayock of GM responsibilities. If Gruden was calling the early picks and Mayock was calling the late picks... I would have probably given Mayock another year, but what would be the point of him hiring a coach and still getting canned next year and starting over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Raiders relieve Mike Mayock of GM responsibilities. If Gruden was calling the early picks and Mayock was calling the late picks... I would have probably given Mayock another year, but what would be the point of him hiring a coach and still getting canned next year and starting over again.
    Is it just me or does Louis Riddick seem like a Raiders type of move?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Is it just me or does Louis Riddick seem like a Raiders type of move?
    Louis Riddick is too smart. Does he want a GM job? Or does he want to continue with MNF?

As for Flores, I think he got a raw deal in Miami but here is the question I want to know. Did he help Tua get better? Couple that with, "Is Tua a coach killer?"

FWIW Watson is a far superior QB to Tua, but I don't know if lobbying for him while he has all these accusations out there is the smartest thing.

As for the Bronco's, a 7-10 team with a bad QB is suddenly a 12-5 with a competent one.

"So Fla Red"

I hear ya, but the real equation may be the Broncos need an "average QB" just to maintain a 7-10 record next season and an above average QB (Wilson) to just make the playoffs as a WC. The defense will regress some without Fangio and assuming opposing quality teams might need to game plan for more than 20 points to beat Denver.

Five of the Broncos seven wins this season were against the dregs of the NFL thanks to the NFC East crossover and the last place schedule (a nice win vs. Dallas but only 1-5 in division against the AFC West). It was a weak 7-10 this season given the schedule.

Five of the wins vs. the Giants, Jags, Jets (Weeks 1-3 dream starting schedule against the Giants and then two rookie QBs) plus Detroit and the WFT

The AFC West gets the NFC West next season and they also get a "last place" game vs. the Ravens

As an aside, the last place Ravens will benefit from the last place crossover schedule next year against the Giants, Broncos and Jaguars. Noting the Bengals will get Dallas, KC and Tennessee.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-18-2022),RiverRat13 (01-19-2022)

Raheem Morris gets his first interview request after de-pantsing the Cardinals. With Vikings

Here's the link to my spreadsheet where I am tracking things

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...43&single=true

Giants have started asking for interviews and have asked about Quinn. He is the first coach to have 5 interviews. And he turned down Jags interview. Could have been 6. Nate Hackett and Kelllen Moore are only guys with 4.

Little surprised that there is not more interest in Pederson. He's at 3 interviews.

On the GM side interesting that Indy Asst GM Dodds pulled his name from consideration from Bears, while his DC Eberflus is going for 2nd interview. Many thought they might be a tandem.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-19-2022 at 05:47 PM.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-19-2022)

Here's an interesting one. Texans interviewed Josh McCown. He has never coached at any level. In any manner. He was with them as a player in 2020. He interviewed for them last year. Some sources are saying they really want to hire him, and have reached out to other clubs for validation, and as a favor the Jags "had a conversation" with him.

One side story, is that Jack Easterly who is now the team Exec VP because he was so qualified as Patriots team chaplain, is a devout Christian and wants to hire McCown, who is also.

Crazy stuff.

19. Likes:

Chip R (01-21-2022)

Turn Off Ads?