Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Based on the NFL statement from Goodell over the weekend they don’t have doubts.
    If you have confidence that Goodell's statement was anything more than PR then you have more confidence in him than I do

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If you have confidence that Goodell's statement was anything more than PR then you have more confidence in him than I do
    It was absolutely PR, but within 3 days they went from putting out denial statements using terms like “without merit” to putting out CYA statements talking about how they need to do better. They know they are going to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So, all of a sudden, Josh McCown seems to out when the scuttlebutt seemed to be pointing to him. And now out of nowhere it seems to be on Lovie Smith.

I know Houston is a couple hours away from the grassy knoll, but I'm kind of suspicious here. 9 openings. 7 filled (if you count Miami) with 6 white guys and the whitest bi-racial guy ever. 5 of the 7 have no HC experience in the NFL, and now Houston looked to be hiring a guy with ZERO coaching experience.

Frankly, I think someone from NFL HQ got on a secure line with Texan owner, and said "You're killing me Smalls". I think a Superbowl and maybe a draft were promised to Houston if they hire a black coach with experience. Flores, however is a known pain in the butt to work with so they go with Smith. Houston might have been promised some assistance with the Watson problem too.

That's just me. Maybe I'm being cynical.
    I don’t think Josh Mccown was a real candidate. I mean Houston is a bit of a clown show organization, but McCown doesn’t have any coaching experience outside of some high school volunteer work. That’s a big leap to being an NFL head coach even if he was a QB for approximately 32 years.

Smith isn’t a knock your socks off candidate, but he does bring a level of experience and stability to a team that needs that. Plus he’s already in the building.

Short of Watson somehow coming back and performing I don’t see how Smith can turn things around in Houston in the timeframe needed. Cash those checks and enjoy the retirement in a few years Lovie.

And that’s no shot at Lovie I just think there’s only one way this will end.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It was absolutely PR, but within 3 days they went from putting out denial statements using terms like “without merit” to putting out CYA statements talking about how they need to do better. They know they are going to lose.
    We'll see what they lose. They may quietly throw some money his way but they got lots of that. We agree on one thing: the Rooney Rule isn't the answer

7. Likes:

Chip R (02-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Short of Watson somehow coming back and performing I don’t see how Smith can turn things around in Houston in the timeframe needed. Cash those checks and enjoy the retirement in a few years Lovie.

And that’s no shot at Lovie I just think there’s only one way this will end.
    Houston is a head scratcher...

Culley was a 1 yr stop gap...Smith smells like the same deal to me. I wonder if they would bring in Smith under the condition that he hires McCown for an offensive position.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Houston makes it official Lovie Smith is the new HC of the Texans...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Saints have hired Dennis Allen
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Saints have hired Dennis Allen
    Wild that these teams can't do any better than this.

Rough to be a fan and your new head coach is a guy who went 8-28 with the Raiders. A decade ago.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Here's my surprise semi-prediction. Everyone is convinced that Brian Flores is a lock for a job this cycle. I'm not convinced. He's a guy that went thru a bunch of coaches ....

"The Dolphins always had a revolving door of coaches under Flores, including four offensive coordinators, two defensive coordinators, and four offensive line coaches in his three seasons on the job."

He clashed with his GM, he sabotaged his starting QB by trying get Watson. Here's an article from Miami paper about some of the struggles.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...256841207.html

He wanted Bill O'Brien like personnel control. He got the team media director fired over the objection of the team president.

A lot of clubs are trying to fix toxic environments. He may not get hired.
    And he was not hired. And he was not going to be hired even before the lawsuit. Sat in a million job interviews in my days. In all of them, there were two over-riding concerns. 1) Is the person qualified? 2) Is this a person I want to work with, He failed #2.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Houston makes it official Lovie Smith is the new HC of the Texans...
    At the press conference introducing him, a fire alarm went off and everyone had to evacuate. I don't think that's a good omen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

oregonred (02-09-2022)

O'Connell was officially hired as Vikings HC

Turn Off Ads?