Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

Re: 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

Jags have made 4 picks thru Round 3. They do not have a pick till the middle of round 5. And then they have several picks in rounds 6 and 7. At this point, with the possible exception of a kicker the picks are not liable to be difference makers. So they are probably pretty much "set".

It was a weird draft for Jags. They gamble with the first overall pick, going for a guy with potential versus the sure thing in Hutchinson. They are talking about Walker as being an outside LB. They make a real nice trade back into the first round to get a very good inside linebacker in Devin Lloyd. And then they hopefully replace center Brandon Lindner for the next 6 or 7 years with Luke Fortner. Then they go inside LB again with Chad Muma. People like Muma. It was good value. But since they signed a LB in FA, Muma might be a backup.

If you didn't need the LB to start, was Nakobe Dean a better choice? Let him get healthy.

It appears the Jags will be pretty decent on defense. The question will be have they done enough on offense.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

As bad as this sounds it would not be a terrible thing if we find ourselves at the top of the 2023 draft. You know that at least Stroud and Young will be coveted and there could be more. On top of that you could have a lot of teams looking for their future QB1. Atlanta, Carolina, Seattle, NY Giants, Indianapolis, Houston, Tampa, Philadelphia, Minnesota, and Detroit are all teams that could look to snag a top rookie QB in 2023. If whichever team in the top 2 spots of the 2023 draft doesnt need a QB there is likely a haul to be had.

Honestly my hope is to see us win between 6-9 games realistically this year. As nice as it would be to obtain a kings ransom for a top 2023 pick I also realize that a bad year probably means things didnt go well for Lawrence and I don't want that to be the case in any circumstance.

JAX could improve themselves 200% and still only end up with 6 wins next season because of the major improvements that all of the other AFC teams made. Dolphins should win three more games than Jacksonville next season. It's such a long road to relevance for them. At least they'll be better than the Steelers, and they should face them, so there's one win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    As bad as this sounds it would not be a terrible thing if we find ourselves at the top of the 2023 draft. You know that at least Stroud and Young will be coveted and there could be more. On top of that you could have a lot of teams looking for their future QB1. Atlanta, Carolina, Seattle, NY Giants, Indianapolis, Houston, Tampa, Philadelphia, Minnesota, and Detroit are all teams that could look to snag a top rookie QB in 2023. If whichever team in the top 2 spots of the 2023 draft doesnt need a QB there is likely a haul to be had.

Honestly my hope is to see us win between 6-9 games realistically this year. As nice as it would be to obtain a kings ransom for a top 2023 pick I also realize that a bad year probably means things didnt go well for Lawrence and I don't want that to be the case in any circumstance.
    The Steelers will be adding one, too.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    JAX could improve themselves 200% and still only end up with 6 wins next season because of the major improvements that all of the other AFC teams made. Dolphins should win three more games than Jacksonville next season. It's such a long road to relevance for them. At least they'll be better than the Steelers, and they should face them, so there's one win.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers will be adding one, too.
    We get the AFC West this year and our common standings opponents are the Jets, Ravens, and Lions.

We get the AFC West this year and our common standings opponents are the Jets, Ravens, and Lions.
    Don't see any wins there.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The local media has been skeptical of the drafting of Travon Walker, but they seem to be pretty much universally blown away by his physicality in the rookie mini-camp
    Last edited by JaxRed; 05-16-2022 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The local media has been skeptical of the drafting of Travon Walker, but they seem to be pretty much universally blow away by his physicality in the rookie mini-camp
    Interesting.

One of the articles I read basically said the Jaguars should essentially use his rookie season as a redshirt because with how he was used at Georgia will be different to the Jaguars and it will take him a year to catch on.

I do think he has more upside than Aidan Hutchinson but time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Well, we head into the regular season. Every time I see Doug Pederson, I breathe a sigh of relief. I think he's exactly what we needed. And after what is perceived to be a pretty good draft and good (but expensive) free agent class, Baalke is off the hot seat. It seems like him and Pederson have a good relationship.

Right off the bat, the Jags seem to have a significantly improved defense. And the entire team came out of the pre-season almost completely healthy. Travis Etienne seems 100% recovered from his Lis Franc injury and James Robinson is getting close to 100% from his late season Achilles tear.

On offense, a lot of course depends on whether Trevor takes the next step and stays healthy. He had a pretty good preseason but we had problems in the Red Zone. We get a look at the Pederson/Press Taylor offense. We finally settled on a kicker picking up Riley Patterson from Detroit on waivers.

Our offensive line ends up being LT - Cam Robinson LG - Ben Bartch C- Luke Fortner RG - Brandon Scherff RT - Jawan Taylor. A lot of fans are disappointed to see Taylor at RT instead of Walker Little. Maybe it still happens down the line. Maybe Walker Little ain't that great.

We have a good test in our first game. We travel to Washington. If we are going to be a lot better this year, that's a game we need to win.

Lawrence will take the biggest step of any young QB in the NFL this year.

Lawrence will take the biggest step of any young QB in the NFL this year.
    The competition is just too tough for him to take that step in the AFC. He's not Joe Burrow. Nobody is....well, maybe Justin Herbert is, but those two are flukes. It's more likely that he gets sacked 70 times and suffers from it, while throwing as many picks as he does TD's. It will probably take Lawrence three or four years to get going like most quality QB's, if he is one.

Trey Lance is likely to go from not playing at all, basically, to leading his team to a playoff appearance.

The competition is just too tough for him to take that step in the AFC. He's not Joe Burrow. Nobody is....well, maybe Justin Herbert is, but those two are flukes. It's more likely that he gets sacked 70 times and suffers from it, while throwing as many picks as he does TD's. It will probably take Lawrence three or four years to get going like most quality QB's, if he is one.

Trey Lance is likely to go from not playing at all, basically, to leading his team to a playoff appearance.
    Disagree.

Lawrence has a new head coach who has a super bowl ring and is a QB guru. He’s getting one of his top weapons back from college (Etienne) and others they signed in FA.

Yes the AFC is tough but the AFC South is the weakest division in the AFC. The Titans are a likely candidate to regress even with King Henry back. The Colts are my pick to win the division but that’s not a lock and the Texans are in a Cleveland Browns style rebuild. Jacksonville could easily make noise in the division and Lawrence doesn’t have Urban Meyer to stifle his growth anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (09-09-2022)

Lawrence was sacked 32 times last year. Our offensive line was upgraded by signing Brandon Scherff. He's only allowed 11 sacks in 7 seasons.
    He's going from about as bad of a coaching situation as you can have to a QB savy head coach who has a ring.
    He's going from Laviska Shenault and Laquan Treadwell to Christian Kirk and Zay Jones.
    He's getting Travis Etienne who caught 85 passes for 1020 yards (mostly from Lawrence) his last 2 years at Clemson.
    He also gets Evan Engram, who despite not living up to anywhere near his potential is still probably the most talented TE Jacksonville has had since Mercedes Lewis was younger.

Lawrence arguably had the worst group of offensive weapons, one of the worst defenses, and did have the worst head coach in the NFL last season.
    He's going to take a leap this year, a big one.

Bad game today. Lawrence didn’t look very good. He’s got to start making these throws that decide games. Overthrew Etienne on a wheel route in the end zone and the INT at the end was an awful decision.

Jags lost a game they should have won and a game where I think they were the better team. It's a mixed bag. Lawrence was just fair. Had times he looked good and times he looked bad. Our kicker missed a pretty easy FG. In his first game, Travon Walker was pretty impressive (certainly more impressive than Hutch).

We still are extremely healthy. The injury report had no one on it the last couple days. But that loss made the home game against Indy this Sunday almost a must-win.

Wow. Jags thoroughly dominated the Colts in a 24-0 win. Lawrence looked fantastic. Defense was great. The thing about the game that surprised me was the most was how terrible Matt Ryan looked. I don't know how often Indy is going to see this version of Ryan, but if I was a Colts fan I'd be thinking about Ehlinger as soon as he's healthy.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-18-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Turn Off Ads?