Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

Jags closed out the year on a high note, with their best game and Trevor Lawrence's best game. First order of business is to hire a new head coach and decide on the fate of GM Trent Baalke.

The elephant in the room - Shad Khan is really bad at choosing football people. Crazy Bad. Every single hire he had as a coach, GM or executive VP has failed. And some reek of spectacular mis-reads of people. Specifically Coughlin and Meyer. And he can't decide on his hiring model. Just 12 months ago, he announced that he figured out that "coach-centric" was the way to operate. The GM had to meld to whoever the HC was. And he kept Trent Baalke and promoted him to GM to work for Meyer.

12 months later, Meyer is gone, and word on the street from people like Jason LaCanfora and Jay Glazer is that coaches are telling Khan that they don't want to work with Baalke. But Baalke is still here. Doesn't sound coach centric to me. Sounds like another busted personnel move by Shad.

What should they (Shad) do?

Hire a football guy to be Executive GM. Shad tried this with Coughlin but made two mistakes. Picked a old school control freak, and then gave him ultimate decision authority. Wrong guy, wrong management authority. Pick a wise, cool headed person, let him choose the GM and HC and then let them have authority.

That executive VP then has to be a more visible face of the franchise. Shad Khan essentially shows up once a year, tells us how he has it figured it out this time and disappears.

Who should that EVP be? I'd put a feeler out to Peyton Manning who I assume would have no interest. But of names floating around out there now (assuming Ozzie and Dungy aren't interested) I like Jim Caldwell. I'm not crazy about him as coach, but EVP would be about perfect. Having him around would allow you to pursue a first time head coach. I'd even be ok with Caldwell saying he will coach for a couple years till ship is rightened and then pick his successor as he "retires" to EVP only.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

Isn't it fair to say Coughlin's controlling ways in the front office led to the most success the Jags have had in a long, long time? They did have a good run under him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Isn't it fair to say Coughlin's controlling ways in the front office led to the most success the Jags have had in a long, long time? They did have a good run under him
    No. They had one good year. And I would say they did it despite him, and then he quickly destroyed the organization, with star players faking injuries to get traded, and an unheard of recommendation from the Players Union that no free agents sign with the franchise because of him.

So with at least 5 other openings, and a GM people don't want to work with, and an bad organizational structure (GM and HC both report to Khan), who do I think is likely to take this job? Someone who has no other options.

1. Darrell Bevell - Current interim. Supposedly going to get an interview. I doubt he has other HC options. He'd take it.
    2. Jim Caldwell - He's 67. In a league where everyone wants the young hot shot, I don't think Caldwell gets another gig other than Jax
    3. Bill O'Brien - Rumors are out there that he will work with Baalke. Not a bad coach, was a fantastic failure as GM
    4. Eric Bienemy - Has had a million interviews and still no job. One report out of Atlanta last year said he was their first choice till he interviewed, and that he doesn't interview well. I think he will jump at the first offer. I have not heard any talk of Jags requesting an interview.
    5. Byron Leftwich - OC on a Super Bowl champion last year and not one team requested an interview. Has already interviewed with Jags. Will other teams interview him this time?

Doug Peterson has said he can afford to be choosy this next time, and supposedly doesn't want Baalke. Unless he has veto over Baalke I say he balks at Jax job.

If you put a gun to my head and make me choose a guy, I'd say Caldwell will be the choice.

How about Marvin Lewis? Caldwell inherited a good situation in Indianapolis and a decent one in Detroit. Marvin inherited a dumpster fire in Cincinnati and led them into respectability.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Good win this weekend, ruined my Colts season. Karma came back and rewarded the Jags with the #1 pick...CONGRATS!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    How about Marvin Lewis? Caldwell inherited a good situation in Indianapolis and a decent one in Detroit. Marvin inherited a dumpster fire in Cincinnati and led them into respectability.
    I didn't mention Lewis because I never thought about him. And I never thought about him because he never gets mentioned. Not sure why. I think Lewis might be a solid choice for either a EVP or HC spot.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So with at least 5 other openings, and a GM people don't want to work with, and an bad organizational structure (GM and HC both report to Khan), who do I think is likely to take this job? Someone who has no other options.

1. Darrell Bevell - Current interim. Supposedly going to get an interview. I doubt he has other HC options. He'd take it.
    2. Jim Caldwell - He's 67. In a league where everyone wants the young hot shot, I don't think Caldwell gets another gig other than Jax
    3. Bill O'Brien - Rumors are out there that he will work with Baalke. Not a bad coach, was a fantastic failure as GM
    4. Eric Bienemy - Has had a million interviews and still no job. One report out of Atlanta last year said he was their first choice till he interviewed, and that he doesn't interview well. I think he will jump at the first offer. I have not heard any talk of Jags requesting an interview.
    5. Byron Leftwich - OC on a Super Bowl champion last year and not one team requested an interview. Has already interviewed with Jags. Will other teams interview him this time?

Doug Peterson has said he can afford to be choosy this next time, and supposedly doesn't want Baalke. Unless he has veto over Baalke I say he balks at Jax job.

If you put a gun to my head and make me choose a guy, I'd say Caldwell will be the choice.
    I strongly dislike all of these.

I’m holding out hope that cap space and Lawrence can help us pull someone better.

I’m fearful that Jacksonville is quickly becoming a bad situation in the eyes of agents/candidates and Kahn and son don’t have a great reputation amongst the league. Keeping Baalke only intensifies that feeling.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-10-2022)

Jacksonville should scoop up Brian Flores.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-11-2022),Rojo Rijo (01-11-2022)

I'd be wary of Flores. A coach with a winning record, deemed to be such a pain in the butt to work with that the org would rather do without him. We need to be drama free. I don't think we'll get there, but.....

Daniel Jeremiah says on "Move The Sticks" that he knows candidates for Jax job that have specifically told him they won't take the job. He declined to say whether it was because of Baalke or general franchise disfunction (Khan).

Daniel Jeremiah says on "Move The Sticks" that he knows candidates for Jax job that have specifically told him they won't take the job. He declined to say whether it was because of Baalke or general franchise disfunction (Khan).
    Kind of surprising since the Jags have what few do: a young franchise QB

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

2022 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - Rebuild !!! (Deja Vu Edition)

I'd be wary of Flores. A coach with a winning record, deemed to be such a pain in the butt to work with that the org would rather do without him. We need to be drama free. I don't think we'll get there, but.....
    IMHO, the Flores is difficult to work with narrative seems overblown if the following rumor is true:

The chief disagreement between the GM and Flores revolved around either packaging Tua and picks for Watson or retaining Tua and the picks. Flores apparently favored the later mode of action, which was/is totally defensible, and I’m far from Tua’s biggest fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 01-11-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I wouldnt be too quick to judge only Flores and not the Dolphins, an organization who has zero credibility if you ask me.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 01-11-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMHO, the Flores is difficult to work with narrative seems overblown if the following rumor is true:

The chief disagreement between the GM and Flores revolved around either packaging Tua and picks for Watson or retaining Tua and the picks. Flores apparently favored the later mode of action, which was/is totally defensible, and I’m far from Tua’s biggest fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I read somewhere that Flores apparently wanted to draft Herbert but was overruled and the Phins took Tua instead.

Who knows though, lots of speculation everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?