Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will Votto be traded?

Re: Will Votto be traded?

Plus playing for one team will increase his HOF chances according to this new Bill James study

https://www.billjamesonline.com/vaga...nd_homebodies/

2. Likes:

Big Klu (01-16-2022),Chip R (01-19-2022),RedsBaron (01-16-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

He's going to retire here. And then he's going to end up finding his way into either coaching hitting here in some capacity or broadcasting here, assuming his retirement isn't an ugly situation.

I say broadcasting because you can clearly see that he enjoys it and has enough natural charisma and intelligence to pull it off. He was doing it during the pandemic season while his team was literally on the field while he was injured. And inning after inning he just kept sticking around.

5. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-16-2022),wlf WV (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plus playing for one team will increase his HOF chances according to this new Bill James study

https://www.billjamesonline.com/vaga...nd_homebodies/
    Interesting study. In addition to the PEDs allegations and his poor defense, the study would indicate that Gary Sheffield's vagabond career, playing for eight different MLB teams, has hurt his HOF chances.
    Anything is possible, but at this point I expect Votto will play for the Reds his entire career.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

7. Likes:

Chip R (01-19-2022)

Obviously, given his no trade and the general uncertainty of this off-season, the likelihood of Votto getting traded is pretty much nil. But I think you’d have to be just slightly insane to believe this organization wouldn’t love to shed his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    He's going to retire here. And then he's going to end up finding his way into either coaching hitting here in some capacity or broadcasting here, assuming his retirement isn't an ugly situation.

I say broadcasting because you can clearly see that he enjoys it and has enough natural charisma and intelligence to pull it off. He was doing it during the pandemic season while his team was literally on the field while he was injured. And inning after inning he just kept sticking around.
    I get the impression he has other non-baseball pursuits on his mind after he retires, but it's Votto so you never know.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I get the impression he has other non-baseball pursuits on his mind after he retires, but it's Votto so you never know.
    I think the outside interests may preclude Votto from managing (though I suspect he'd be outstanding in that role). But broadcasting?

Yeah, I think that may be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Obviously, given his no trade and the general uncertainty of this off-season, the likelihood of Votto getting traded is pretty much nil. But I think you’d have to be just slightly insane to believe this organization wouldn’t love to shed his salary.
    Doesn’t really matter what the organization wants in this case. Also, I’m not so sure that’s true at this point. He’s basically on a 2 year $50 million deal (not sure of exact numbers, but you get the point), they know he’s going to be a major draw for fans the next two years, especially his farewell tour year. This isn’t a Dunn or Griffey situation. It’s a Larkin situation.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2022),dubc47834 (01-19-2022),Powder River (01-16-2022),Revering4Blue (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree the organization would love to shed his salary number but I don't think they want to shed Joey Votto. Castellini has historically been acutely aware of marketability and is a bit nostalgic. He has been late in purging long tenured and popular players. I think they would use Mahle to shed Moose well before they would even consider it for Votto.

14. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2022),Falls City Beer (01-16-2022),HokieRed (01-16-2022),Powder River (01-16-2022),Revering4Blue (01-16-2022),Roy Tucker (01-16-2022),westofyou (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I agree the organization would love to shed his salary number but I don't think they want to shed Joey Votto.
    Good point.

Votto's farewell tour alone will generate tends of millions for Castellini and the Reds.

A link to the article and yes the comments are hilarious from delusional Yankee fans...

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/...eds-first-base
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Post career Votto won't be schlepping around the game as a coach or announcer is my guess. At least not within 5-10 years of retirement, he's more Derek Jeter retired than ARod.

18. Likes:

Mitri (01-16-2022),Ron Madden (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Post career Votto won't be schlepping around the game as a coach or announcer is my guess. At least not within 5-10 years of retirement, he's more Derek Jeter retired than ARod.
    He’ll probably open a fancy coffee shop that also sells fashionable shirts.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I can’t think of a scenario where the Reds could shed Votto without paying a painful price. And I don’t trust the Reds FO to trade him without bungling it all up.

And, given the year he had last year, I think Votto still has some gas left in his tank. I don’t foresee him having another 2021 season, but if he gets somewhere close to that, I’d be ok. Plus I think it’s good karma to keep Joey.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-19-2022),Ron Madden (01-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He’ll probably open a fancy coffee shop that also sells fashionable shirts.
    And provides mental health solutions too eh?

Read the article linked below. Joey Votto shines clubhouse shoes thirty minutes a week because the Reds Clubhouse gave him a uniform in his tenth season. Then there's this quote:

“I like that I can work with steadiness,” he says. “It’s the simple things. It’s hard to explain. It's like, I know when I'm driving to work, there's not going to be traffic. I know that when I'm done work, I'm not in the country, per se, but I'm in the woods. It's close to the stadium. I love that when we do well, there's some support pretty quickly. I like my locker, the uniform, the people I work with. First and foremost, the people I work with. It's been more or less the same group since I came into the league. I like the familiarity. I like that I can be my best self here. Yeah, I can be the best version of me here, which is all I think I could ever ask for.”
    The guy thrives on work and routine. He apparently doesn't have much of a social life and no wife/kids, his entire life is centered around baseball. He has his hobbies and he enjoys charity. Another big reason to be around the Reds post-retirement. That affords him so many opportunities to continue to be charitable.

I don't think he's going anywhere after baseball. Cincinnati loves him, the Reds love him. He loves both back. If I had to bet, he's going to be around this franchise until the day he dies ala Nuxhall.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/09/22/jo...2D39%20season.

24. Likes:

Redhook (01-16-2022),Ron Madden (01-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?