Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

Sources: Rays to explore playing in Montreal

The Tampa Bay Rays received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

While the plan is in its nascent stages, the Rays have embraced the two-city solution as the most feasible to saving baseball in the Tampa Bay area after years of failed attempts to build a new stadium in the region, according to sources.
    Under the plan, the Rays would play in new stadiums in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, according to sources. The ability to play games early in the season in Florida would preclude the need for a domed stadium, cutting the cost of a new building. A month ago, Bronfman -- who along with Montreal businessman Mitch Garber has expressed interest in taking a minority stake in the Rays alongside owner Stuart Sternberg -- reached an agreement with a developer on a site in Montreal's Point-Saint-Charles neighborhood to potentially build a new stadium. The number of home games each city would receive has not been determined, according to sources.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2019),Tom Servo (06-20-2019),WildcatFan (06-20-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rays to explore playing in Montreal part time

This is crazy
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2019),KYExtemper (02-23-2020),RBA (02-24-2020)

Milwaukee White Sox and Jersey City Dodgers approve of this as well as the KC Omaha Kings

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-20-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019),Tom Servo (06-20-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The Tampa Bay Rays of Montreal's Expos

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...aying-montreal

TB execs have received permission to look into splitting time in Montreal. Early season in Tampa and then finish in Canada.

This is an abysmal idea, in my opinion. Baseball in Tampa can be fixed. But this isn't the way. Furthermore, instead of having to market the team to one dedicated city, now the objective is making two often less than passionate fanbases care about a team that's only half theirs.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

9. Likes:

KYExtemper (02-23-2020)

Re: The Tampa Bay Rays of Montreal's Expos

How would the playoffs work?

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2019)

Apparently that subject has yet to be broached.

Let's just cut Tampa out of the picture completely and bring Puerto Rico back into the mix

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I wouldn't describe the Montreal fan base as less than passionate. A horrible facility and Montreal getting screwed when they had the best team in the league when the strike happened did them in.

15. Likes:

CanadianRedsFan (06-21-2019),Chip R (06-20-2019),cumberlandreds (06-20-2019),dabvu2498 (06-20-2019),JohnnyRed (12-05-2019),Redsfaithful (06-20-2019),redsmetz (06-20-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019),Rojo (06-23-2019)

This is the first step of the Rays leaving Tampa. They have never been supported down there and with a good team for two years now they still can't draw flies.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

@BradZiegler

Splitting time between the 2 cities would be an absolute nightmare as a player… Potentially moving your family/pets back-and-forth, finding pediatricians, doctors, vets, paying rent on multiple houses, even when you’re not there. No thanks.

18. Likes:

Chip R (06-20-2019),OGB (06-20-2019)

This is a shot across the bow. Tampa better do something about a stadium or as soon as the lease is up they are gone.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

20. Likes:

dabvu2498 (06-20-2019),klw (06-20-2019),Revering4Blue (06-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I wouldn't describe the Montreal fan base as less than passionate. A horrible facility and Montreal getting screwed when they had the best team in the league when the strike happened did them in.
    Fair enough. But the Rays fans are suffering through that same facility issue. I've been to the Trop about 10 times. It's truly as bad as anything you've heard.

Local politics there have prevented them from a workable new stadium plan, but the silly thing is, this dual-city plan is also dependent upon a new stadium being built in both places.

If you're going to build a new stadium, there is no need to execute this bizarre plan.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-20-2019),Rojo (06-23-2019)

Is the point to do this temporarily for a season to find out which market would work better for them overall ?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This is a shot across the bow. Tampa better do something about a stadium or as soon as the lease is up they are gone.
    Yeah I don't think they're actually gonna play in two cities, this is them saying they're serious about leaving.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

April - May in Tampa, June-Aug in Montreal, Sept - playoffs in Tampa.

Not that hard of a thing to do really.

26. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-20-2019)

Turn Off Ads?