Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

DayGameRedLegs (01-21-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you want - Runner on 2nd base for extra innings

I've said for a while I think the best way to do it is make the 13th inning the inning where you start putting ghost runners on. It gives you a fair shot in 3 extras to win by regular rules and then in the dreaded 13th we speed things up.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

corkedbat (01-23-2022),FlightRick (01-21-2022),MoneyInTheBank (01-21-2022),Revering4Blue (01-21-2022),RiverRat13 (01-22-2022),Ron Madden (01-21-2022),TexasRedsFan (01-22-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-21-2022),westofyou (01-21-2022),WrongVerb (01-21-2022)

This one I HATE with the heat of a thousand suns.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-21-2022),Danny Serafini (01-22-2022),Falls City Beer (01-21-2022),goldglover9 (01-22-2022),HokieRed (01-24-2022),mth123 (01-21-2022),texasdave (01-22-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-21-2022)

Originally thought I'd hate it, but what happened in real life is I went from turning off extra inning games to turning them on. It adds instant tension at the end of a long game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

BoxingRed (01-21-2022),goreds2 (01-22-2022),REDREAD (01-24-2022)

I agree with the Robot on one hand but Snoopy also makes good points. I think starting in the 13th is ok. Unfortunately you don’t have very many relievers who can go more then 2 innings. If that. At best. Then they can’t come back and pitch the next day a lot of times unless the moon is in its seventh sun and in alignment with Jupiter. Or something like that.

That’s why you need 28 in a roster. 14/14. You have 9 relievers at least. Unless your Bell who uses half his roster before the 8th inning.

Just don’t do this in the playoffs. Ever.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-22-2022),Tom Servo (01-21-2022)

No nuance on this one. This has no place in major league baseball. Give me a tie over an unearned win. Just make it so that there are up to 3 extra innings. If the game is tied after 12, it's a tie. Teams can now plan player usage accordingly.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-22-2022),DayGameRedLegs (01-21-2022)

I personally like the runner on 2nd b/c after I've invested 2.5 to 3 hrs watching a game, I want to see it quickly come to a conclusion.

W/ batting averages so low b/c everyone wants a homerun, it's boring to watch so little offense occur, but w/ a runner on second, everyone knows it just takes a basehit to score.

I love baseball tradition, but this is an example for me where I enjoy the change.

Of all of the changes in MLB this is the worst. At best it is Little Leagueish. At worst its abomination to the game. I was hoping it was just because of the pandemic season of 2020 but it looks like it is here to stay and its just a shame upon the game. Very few games last past 12 innings anyway. I think the game can withstand an extra inning or two on occasion. I suppose I could be OK with it if you go to something like this after 12 innings but before is just terrible.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

mth123 (01-23-2022)

I'm ok with the concept in order to not cause one game of 162 to wreck a pitching staff, but I agree that the runner on 2nd should start in the 13th. Give teams 3 extra innings to still win the game traditionally.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-23-2022)

Manfred, at the All-Star Game, said seven-inning doubleheaders and the runner at second base to begin extra innings were unlikely to remain in place.

It was ok for the pandemic season when games were crammed in. But having it implemented permanently is like having Bob Ross update the Mona Lisa. So I voted no. If your roster can’t withstand an extra inning game, then maybe your roster isn’t right.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

mth123 (01-24-2022),Ron Madden (01-24-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-24-2022)

They should do a coin flip after 9 innings to see which team will bat first and both sides get a chance to hit unless some one hits a homer, in which case that team wins even if the other side hasn't batted yet. No runner on second.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

23. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    They should do a coin flip after 9 innings to see which team will bat first and both sides get a chance to hit unless some one hits a homer, in which case that team wins even if the other side hasn't batted yet. No runner on second.
    Good grief no. That’s even more cheesy then a Bay City Rollers concert.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Of all of the changes in MLB this is the worst. At best it is Little Leagueish. At worst its abomination to the game. I was hoping it was just because of the pandemic season of 2020 but it looks like it is here to stay and its just a shame upon the game. Very few games last past 12 innings anyway. I think the game can withstand an extra inning or two on occasion. I suppose I could be OK with it if you go to something like this after 12 innings but before is just terrible.
    I don't want to skew the poll results but this isn't something Manfred invented out of thin air. They have been doing this in the minor leagues for years and years.

Now I always thought that when the minors did it, they had a runner on 2nd and one out. I tried to find information to see if that was the case but I couldn't find anything either way.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Good grief no. That’s even more cheesy then a Bay City Rollers concert.
    They perform "America the Beautiful" between innings if the game gets to the end of the 14th. Full glitter outfits. Original lineup is only used in game at Yankee Stadium, Bay City Roller tribute bands used in the other cities. GABP will just get a fat guy in too-tight suit lip-synching to an 8 track.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Turn Off Ads?